Pro Wrestling Only

Hyperthetical: you find Vince's personal diary dating back to 1983

Sidebottom

It's a diary, intended to never be read by anybody, so it can safely be assumed everything in it is the truth. It's also very detailed and conveniently indexed :D

But, you can only pick and read one entry (and all associated entries of thereof). What do you read?

Rita Chatterton?

Owen Hart?

Screwjob?

Nailz?

Mar 26th 2001?

Benoit murders?

Something else?

Hard to pick just one, so I'll suggest a few:

- Snuka murder situation

- Triple H and Stephanie getting together

- Vince Russo leaving

- Shane leaving

I almost put CM Punk leaving, but I doubt he lost much sleep over that. Punk's departure arguably pushed Bryan's ascension forward, but it had no negligible effect otherwise IMO.

The day he went to Bret Hart and told him he wanted out of their 20 year contract and told him to negotiate with WCW. I'd just like to know his mindset for why he wanted out of the contract, whether it was that the company was really in dire straits financially, whether he thought that kind of deal set a bad precedent for the rest of the talent or whether he'd just decided that Bret wasn't worth it.

No real set date for this one but I wouldn't mind seeing some entries about the XFL just to see why he thought that idea would really work considering the long history of failures in starting up a 2nd American football league.

I am stuck between two.

#1 is Hulk Hogan. I sometimes wonder how much of Hogan's WWF success was based on Vince's own infatuation with him and how much of it was about destroying Verne with his own weapon. I find the fact that the AWA's death and Vince's decision trade to Hogan in for The Ultimate Warrior, someone who I think is more in the spirit of Vince's super-vascular cartoon image of wrestling, to be a really weird coincidence. I think WWE's version of history is that Hulkamania was a phenomenon that Vince McMahon created and controlled and once it was out of his grasp, it collapsed under its own weight but I would be really interested to know just how much control Vince really thought he had in the situation.

#2 is Shawn Michaels. He's just such an "un-Vince", for lack of a better term, choice to be a top star. He really stands out as an anomaly when compared to others that Vince put the full power of the WWF machine behind. He wasn't big, he wasn't muscley, he wasn't exceptionally over, he didn't really have a track record and it's not as though he was a problem-free and easy-going model citizen outside of the ring, yet even today he's regarded in the WWE canon as the all-time greatest. I wonder what it was about him that allowed Vince to overlook his faults, a lot of which were the same faults that doomed others that came both before and after. I don't think it can be as simple as great matches.

#2 is Shawn Michaels. He's just such an "un-Vince", for lack of a better term, choice to be a top star. He really stands out as an anomaly when compared to others that Vince put the full power of the WWF machine behind. He wasn't big, he wasn't muscley, he wasn't exceptionally over, he didn't really have a track record and it's not as though he was a problem-free and easy-going model citizen outside of the ring, yet even today he's regarded in the WWE canon as the all-time greatest. I wonder what it was about him that allowed Vince to overlook his faults, a lot of which were the same faults that doomed others that came both before and after. I don't think it can be as simple as great matches.

People have joked often that Vince had a man-crush on him. I actually believe it.

People have joked often that Vince had a man-crush on him. I actually believe it.

I was also going to point out the man-crush thing. Vince used to gush so hard over Shawn on commentary. I wonder if Linda ever got jealous.

I would be curious to see Vince's thoughts on paper after that brutal Raw from Germany that did a 1.9 and then the next week had the "Raw Is War" debut with the Titan Tron and stuff. Russo claims that the Germany Raw is what caused Vince to basically throw his arms in the air and greatly increase VR's influence.

October, 1985

1st

Dub over Dick Graham and Kal Rudman Spectrum commentary for Best of WWF, Vol. 1

2nd

Go to booth again, dub over Dick Graham and Kal Rudman Spectrum commentary for WWF Tag Team Champions

3rd

Ask Monsoon to remind Kal Rudman to stand further back from workers during interviews and to remember face / heel divide.

4th

Ask Monsoon to find Strongbow and Skaaland something to do.

5th

Memo to Lord Al Hayes: write out some cue cards and bullet points for TNT so you have something to say.

6th

Meeting with Pat, re: Piper allegations.

7th

Fine Fuji, $50. Rib on Muraco.

I would be curious to see Vince's thoughts on paper after that brutal Raw from Germany that did a 1.9 and then the next week had the "Raw Is War" debut with the Titan Tron and stuff. Russo claims that the Germany Raw is what caused Vince to basically throw his arms in the air and greatly increase VR's influence.

I think it's actually the RAW from South Africa, later in the year.

I was also going to point out the man-crush thing. Vince used to gush so hard over Shawn on commentary. I wonder if Linda ever got jealous

I just wanted to say that there is some really nice synergy between Petey's comment here and his avatar.

Nah, it was after the Germany RAW with Sid vs. Mankind and Owen vs. Davey. The South African RAW was spliced with footage from Muncie, Indiana and did a 2.2.

I was also going to point out the man-crush thing. Vince used to gush so hard over Shawn on commentary. I wonder if Linda ever got jealous

I just wanted to say that there is some really nice synergy between Petey's comment here and his avatar.

Points to you on that one.

Nah, it was after the Germany RAW with Sid vs. Mankind and Owen vs. Davey. The South African RAW was spliced with footage from Muncie, Indiana and did a 2.2.

I watched the South African RAW on The Network a few months ago and wow, what an awful show, especially from a production standpoint. They should have preempted themselves for a dog show.