Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

He's shooting in the sense where he stopped selling for him, which was making Luger look like shit when he was being positioned as the next big superstar in the territory. Brody was big timing him here basically trying to goad Luger into a real fight knowing Lex would get all the heat for it since he was the rookie. You can see where even the ref is looking at Brody like "fucking really, Frank?" while he just stands there like a statue while Lex throws punches.  By the end he's totally sandbagging him and I actually give Lex props for not only not taking the bait, but also for being able to come up with a way to end the match while still keeping kayfabe. 

It's really an amazing example of how much old timey wrestlers bullshit, when the story was always told to make it sound like Lex ran in terror from the fearsome Brody when the footage showed he was just said fuck it and left because Bruiser was being an uncooperative shithead.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill Alfonso addressed it a long time ago in a shoot interview. It was all basically a misunderstanding and it was blown way out of proportion by folklore and urban legend. If this happened today, it would be blown out of proportion by Twitter dweebs posting gifs and making up drama for a week and would be forgotten.

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

He's shooting in the sense where he stopped selling for him, which was making Luger look like shit when he was being positioned as the next big superstar in the territory.

Not quite. Luger had signed with Crockett by that point and was on his way out of the territory.

As for what went down, I've seen several different explanations. Meltzer has always said that the office wanted Brody to go over since Luger was leaving. But Luger, either on his own or on orders from Crockett, decided that he wasn't going to honor the Time-Honored Tradition and that pissed Brody off. I don't know if I buy that since Luger had already done several jobs to Kevin Sullivan and Bad News Allen by that point in his final days in the territory. Luger has said that Brody told him afterward he couldn't put him over because he was working as a babyface in Texas, which I don't even know how that makes sense. Others have said that Brody was simply trying to teach Luger a lesson about the young guy taking direction from the veteran in the ring. Whatever the reason, just about everyone has said that Brody made it clear he had no personal beef with Luger and it was strictly business.

17 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Not wanting to put someone over is one thing, Brody just stopped selling and cooperating mid match is some real unprofessional bullshit from a guy who honestly did this kind of thing a lot but it's not considered polite to mention that.

I’d almost rather have Brody no-sell things completely than his usual bullshit of bumping big and jumping back up to completely invalidate the very meaning of pro wrestling offense. The worst. 

I don't think too many people these days view Brody's conduct in that match as anything but unprofessional. The footage becoming more widespread certainly helped in that regard because it debunked a lot of the urban legends surrounding the match (like Brody was punishing Luger for not selling or Brody had razor blades taped to his fingers and Luger fled the ring in terror because he was afraid Brody was going to cut him up).

There's a world of difference between Brody throwing a bitchfit and no-selling Luger's offence, and how the story had been told for literally decades about how Brody shot on Luger and beat him up and had him run away like a terrified bitch. At no point in the vid I posted does Brody take any actual liberties with Luger. Yeah he was an unprofessional fuck, but he didn't come close to trying to hurt Luger at all. Hell, I would argue that Luger looked pretty good and Brody's weird antics made him look like an idiot

I love Lex Luger. Half the reason wrestlers knock him like fuck is because he was brighter than they were and realised his potential worth and made sure his contracts shown that. But he gets knocked to buggery by other wrestlers for it, and now lots of  people watch wrestling and take it as gospel he was shite because people earning less than him said so. He was a far better worker than most too, as we all here know. He was streets ahead of Sting coming up, and then even in early 1996 and later on The Total Package stuff in 2000 or so he was a far more interesting and fun wrestler than most. 

I love me some Lex. 

Whereas Brody was a far bigger pain the arse and wasn't even that good a wrestler. But he's loved. I don't get it. 

There is a big difference between shooting and not cooperating/ intentionally making your opponent look bad when they are on the way out. Brody didn't do anything to physically harm Luger and at no point did a legitimate fight break out. Brody just didn't cooperate and made Luger look like shit. I see them as two different things. 

Its like I've been in situations where a coworker needed my help to be successful, and I simply chose not to help because at some point they had rubbed people the wrong way. I see the Brody Luger situation as that. Luger was green and needed Brody to make him look good on his way out. Brody simply decided not to because Luger had rubbed people the wrong way. It's not a wrestling shoot, its common place office politics in a toxic work in environment. 

lol I've heard interviews where Alphonso told a slightly different story. Basically in those interviews Alphonso said Lex had a big head on his way out because he was going to the Carolinas and had pissed people off. When they got in the ring Lex didn't listen to Brody and tried to call his spots. So Brody was like fuck it and stopped selling, going out of his way to make Lex look bad. Lex was too inexperienced to come up with something to do so he just panicked and climbed out the ring. 

Really I think the match broke down when Brody went for a piledriver and Luger didn't take it. From there Brody didn't sell anything at all and Luger just panicked and turned to Alphonso and with this look of like what do I do. 

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

Anyway, if he worked TV, there must be footage somewhere - even if just Dark.

I'd be interested in seeing one of his matches.

Bix' picked up the story and is in contact with Rip. Let's see what 'proof' there is because this looks like a nothing story so far.

15 hours ago, Rah said:

Thanks, but I meant AEW TV, since Rip mentioned Bostic being shorted after he "worked TV for AEW."

AEW TV footage of him won't prove whether he was shorted, but it will at least prove that he did indeed work for AEW at some point, since even that seems to be in question.

On 12/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, C.S. said:

Thanks, but I meant AEW TV, since Rip mentioned Bostic being shorted after he "worked TV for AEW."

AEW TV footage of him won't prove whether he was shorted, but it will at least prove that he did indeed work for AEW at some point, since even that seems to be in question.

Apparently he was an extra that walked Darby out in a bodybag on TV.

The dude deleted his tweet giving his side of the story, but according to him, he worked the first episode of Dynamite in DC and got paid $200. He then worked their shows in Champaign and Indianapolis and got paid $80 for each. If AEW stiffed him on a mutually agreed upon rate, they deserve to be called out. But he makes it sound like he simply assumed he'd be paid $200. Which, who the hell takes a gig without knowing what the pay will be? He also more or less said that he was booked as a favor to a friend of his in the company, which is why he didn't make an issue of it. I'm getting "production guy who said AEW was bullying him but was actually a huge creep" vibes.

I am watching an early Hayabusa match (he is still a rookie as Eiji Ezaki) where he is taking on Big Titan (who I know ends up being the fake Razor Ramon) and a guy named Lu Chi.

Best I can tell Lu Chi is a fat white guy doing a really shitty martial arts gimmick. He is wearing a gi, kickboxing gloves, and throwing piss poor kicks and double axhandles which are getting standing ten counts for some reason.

Anyone know who this guy is? Match date is 9/17/91