Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV Oct 3-9

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is just Smackdown tries more stuff and it's interesting. And not in a Vince Russo throw a million things at the wall kind of way, they just do something different each week. If you miss an episode, maybe you'll miss a heel turn. Or a random Spirit Squad or Headbangers return. Or a killer Miz promo. Maybe this guy is now gonna fued with this guy that he's never wrestled before. Curt Hawkins vignettes? Sure, why not? It doesn't have to be earth shattering five star matches each week, it's just good fun weekly wrestling television with at least one unexpected event each episode.

Meanwhile on Raw it feels like we're still seeing the same old feuds we were seeing before the draft. There isn't much about the show that's fresh or must see.

It's not like I'm asking for 20 minute matches between main eventers on free TV. Just a good 10 minute match between two midcarders, or a top guy vs. a midcarder would be fine. For me the show is too long to not have at least one good, decent length match. It helps the show breathe a little too, which I thought the latest episode had a problem with. You pretty much had an hour of storyline housekeeping, which is necessary but not like any of it was super entertaining -> the great Miz/Dolph segment -> more housekeeping -> the main event angle. A good long-ish match breaking up the more utilitarian stuff in that first hour would have helped a lot, I think.

Monday's women's match gets far too less praise, imo.

Although I knew the ending already, I was completely captivated by it. It told a great story between two women who know each other and their typical moves, and know how to counter them.

Charlotte is simply amazing, her facial expressions and mannerisms are simply on point. She just might be the best heel on the roster, period. And that Corkscrew Moonsault to the floor cought me completely unprepared and left my mouth wide open.

Sasha improves all the time too, I got a feeling that she's getting safer and don't have the feeling she's gonna kill herself with every second move or so.

Smackdown is becoming something I avoid reading about until I can watch it live for myself because it's just such a fun show. Everything has room to breathe on the show instead of feeling tossed into a three hour mess. I agree that I would sacrifice killer matches every week to just watch a logical, well-built episodic show. Especially one that is maximizing their talent like they are doing right now.

At this point "good matches" are so easy to come by I'd much rather see a show that is more focused on consistent storyline progression and good promos/angles. I'd call it more of a throwback to when wrestling TV was good more often than it was bad than saying it's "dated."

It also helps make the PPV feel more special if the match quality is noticeably better there than on TV which is something that WWE has struggled with in recent years.

Agreed here. They are transforming the product a good bit right now and honestly i think it is really exciting.

I just finished the hulu version of smackdown (I only watch the hulu version of either show really) and I just keep coming away from both Raw and Smackdown lately impressed. This brand split has been a massive success to me. It feels like at least some of the wrestlers are seeing increased levels of freedom, people are getting chances to shine, the stories are coming together, the emotion levels are jacked up... I just really love it all right now. I don't remember the last time I liked the entire product top to bottom this much. Of course there are things that could be improved and things I could pick apart, but man, its just good right now.

I have never been a huge Ziggler fan, but his performances recently have been so packed with emotion. I am all in on this match and this feud and I honestly liked the stuff he was doing with Ambrose more than most I think too.

The final segment was fantastic. Everyone is doing their part to make that match as interesting as possible. I thought the whole Austin calling Ambrose thing out was a little cheesy and maybe overstated. I was wrong. No clue if that was legit or not (don't care either). Ambrose has been fire and this might have been his best promo performance in the E.

Ok, I am in overstatement mode, but I have been texting similar stuff to my friends every week after I finish Raw and Smackdown so I decided to bring it here. This was a really good smackdown that is symptomatic of a really good direction for the WWE right now.

I think Smackdown has been better than Raw, but Raw has been an improved product to me. The way the are implementing the cruisers is fun and interesting. The dynamic between Owens and Jericho is awesome (Jericho might just be the best personality on the roster). The women's division has been killing it, bringing out those personalities even more to compliment the ring work. Seamus and Cesaro's feud was/is so much fun and did EVERYTHING it was supposed to (a wrestling showcase that allowed for sustained focus on both men, their work, and their characters).

Monday's women's match gets far too less praise, imo.

Although I knew the ending already, I was completely captivated by it. It told a great story between two women who know each other and their typical moves, and know how to counter them.

Charlotte is simply amazing, her facial expressions and mannerisms are simply on point. She just might be the best heel on the roster, period. And that Corkscrew Moonsault to the floor cought me completely unprepared and left my mouth wide open.

Sasha improves all the time too, I got a feeling that she's getting safer and don't have the feeling she's gonna kill herself with every second move or so.

I loved the match and agree Charlotte is amazing, but that corkscrew moonsault was ridiculous to attempt and Sasha should get a bonus for racing to catch her before she spiked herself on the floor.

Oh yeah, no doubt that The Miz is putting on the absolute best work of his career at the moment. Gonna make whoever beats him for the Intercontinental Championship even more special when that happens.

And coincidentally enough, this started when Maryse returned to be paired with him. She just adds another layer to The Miz's character, making him more legit than he was before her return. Now I buy the A-lister gimmick way more than I did before.

Miz is definitely awesome at the moment, though I liked him for a long time, anyway. And don't forget, I said she might be, not she is. Miz is up there as well. KO and Jerich too, in my eyes. Hell, AJ is really good as a heel right now too.

We might need some good top Faces And soon. Very soon.

I think we have to differ between different kinds of heels. Owens and Jericho are just constantly trolling, and, at least to me, there's little that can infuriate more than being constantly trolled. This in combination with them talking down everything and everybody all the time makes them good heels, in my eyes.

Loved the Raw main event. Charlotte's facial expressions and general character work are really good at this point. Still think she has a lot to improve on in the ring, though. She seems slightly out of position much of the time. But the combination of her heeling and Sasha's ridiculous rag-doll bumping really made this. This was probably Sasha's best in-ring performance as a face, so far.

Oh yeah, no doubt that The Miz is putting on the absolute best work of his career at the moment. Gonna make whoever beats him for the Intercontinental Championship even more special when that happens.

And coincidentally enough, this started when Maryse returned to be paired with him. She just adds another layer to The Miz's character, making him more legit than he was before her return. Now I buy the A-lister gimmick way more than I did before.

I think generally speaking, it's harder to take a heel seriously who walks alone. That's what heels do -- they outnumber people. Having a second or a loose alliance with another wrestler gives cred.

I think generally speaking, it's harder to take a heel seriously who walks alone. That's what heels do -- they outnumber people. Having a second or a loose alliance with another wrestler gives cred.

Manager distractions are also one of the only ways a heel is allowed to properly cheat nowadays, too. Add that to the fact that they are open that he and Maryse are married (easy heat to have the hated guy be the one with the beautiful wife), and she really rounds out his act.