Pro Wrestling Only

Mauro and JBL

sek69

I know literally nothing about the situation, but Mauro' s been difficult to work with everywhere he's been. Those jumping to his defense solely because of the JBL stories out there may be missing something.

The more that comes out about Mauro, the more I tend to agree with that. Although still, there is no justification for JBL bullying anybody, even if it turns out Mauro is a total jerkwad. It does make him less sympathetic, though. Having said that, I'm for anything that exposes and potentially changes the stupid old school hazing culture.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mauro comes off as being a bit of an undeserving martyr in this because everyone hates JBL.

JBL might be the worst announcer that WWE has, outside of Byron Saxton (and now they're together, joy.) and I think that he was made to feel a little inferior by Mauro's popularity and dedication during his year or so with the company. I knew when Mauro signed with WWE that his tenure would not be long, because either Vince would get tired of him, he would grate on people, or he would self-destruct. I didn't think that it would be a combination of the latter two. Based on all the stories that I've come across, Mauro has had his battles with mental illness, leading to him creating a lot of his own problems, and needling JBL about something that he had to know wouldn't fly with the corporate higher ups was another classic case of a bi-polar person being willfully self-destructive.

My guess is that nothing will happen to JBL, because nothing ever happens to JBL. If he didn't get fired for doing the Nazi salute and goose-stepping in-ring in GERMANY, bullying someone until they sit out the rest of their announcing contract is a relatively minor offense, in the grand scheme of things.

Man, either say your shit or don't. Passive aggressive nonsense from all 3 sides (Maruo, Dave, JBL) is just annoying.

I don't disagree with you regarding Dave, if there is more he can say about the situation, even if it is his opinion, he should just be out with it. There is nothing more annoying than cryptic remarks from a reporter. If he knows more, he should say it, or not bother alluding to it at all. I hate the whole "I know a lot more about this...but I can't or won't tell you" shtick.

Speaking as another media person, sometimes you can't divulge the full story in order to protect your sources or honor your relationship with a source. If a source tells me some piece of news on the condition that I keep it between us, then unless I want to burn that bridge, I honor that request.

Speaking as another media person, sometimes you can't divulge the full story in order to protect your sources or honor your relationship with a source. If a source tells me some piece of news on the condition that I keep it between us, then unless I want to burn that bridge, I honor that request.

Which is fair enough, but there's a difference between that and the teasing Dave bullshit of "I know more, but I can't tell you."

The thing with Dave is that if you actually read what he writes and listen to the shows he's on, he usually drops enough hints to piece together what he's talking about fairly easily. The problem is that 90% of the people who @ him on Twitter only get what he said second or third hand from copy/paste sites that tend to paraphrase all the nuance out of what he actually said.

The thing with Dave is that if you actually read what he writes and listen to the shows he's on, he usually drops enough hints to piece together what he's talking about fairly easily. The problem is that 90% of the people who @ him on Twitter only get what he said second or third hand from copy/paste sites that tend to paraphrase all the nuance out of what he actually said.

To be fair, when you do listen to him first hand, he's terribly hard to understand. He's all over the place with trying to get his thoughts into words. Horrible speaker.

Dave said on The Board he received so much feedback within WWE after writing the JBL piece that he is doing a story that could take a few weeks or a few months to put together, but he's not going to rush it because he wants to get it right. But that he basically had 15 Justin Robertses contact him with their own stories. He said it's so much information that it will take him a while to verify it all and make sense of it.

Dave said on The Board he received so much feedback within WWE after writing the JBL piece that he is doing a story that could take a few weeks or a few months to put together, but he's not going to rush it because he wants to get it right. But that he basically had 15 Justin Robertses contact him with their own stories. He said it's so much information that it will take him a while to verify it all and make sense of it.

Good. I hope it doesn't stop there. WWE deserves so much shit for this.

Good. I hope it doesn't stop there. WWE deserves so much shit for this.

It reminds me a lot of the sexual harassment culture that started coming out last year at Fox News.

A podcast dropped in my list (Return of the Soundboard - ESPN) and the guy who hosts apparently works for WWE now. He and his co-host were giving their opinions on this issue and it's mind-boggling bad. Basically anyone who matters in the WWE has nothing but good things to say about JBL, Roberts and Meltzer have an axe to grind, JBL was possibly "protecting a code" (if he did anything at all) just like Undertaker, Mark Henry, Kane, etc...would do.

I listened to the segment (About 15 minutes) and then deleted it. It might be worth a listen to see how WWE could potentially try to spin this.

Kevin Nash defended JBL in a tweet today. Basically, saying that he came from an old school era and he fought his way through it and not everyone will like you....You know the schtick. Not surprising that everyone that has defended JBL basically are guys who came up around the same time he did.

How come it was OK for Mauro to brag about his meaningless award to try and knock JBL, but when called out on it he can't take the receipt? Mauro wasn't "harassed" or "abused" like I see mentioned above, he hasn't even shown up to work since JBL said something a TV talk show. If you live in a world where you only want people to kiss your ass then don't start picking fights like a child because someone might hurt your feelings. If you bring something up first, it's fair game for criticism. Especially if you have some depression issues, don't be a dick to someone because they just might be one back. Mauro naturally comes off as an arrogant, condescending, know it all anyway (it's why I've never been a fan of his work), but now he comes off like a spoiled child that thinks he can start a fight and let everybody else fight it for him. I wish him the best in dealing with his health issues, but seems that his current ones could've been prevented if he wouldn't have felt the need to try and show someone up in the first place.

I don't completely disagree with the Mauro point, as I'm not a fan either for similar reasons. However, I was under the impression that more happened that we don't know yet that is far worse. Dave even admitted both of them -- JBL and Mauro -- will probably look awful in the end.

I don't completely disagree with the Mauro point, as I'm not a fan either for similar reasons. However, I was under the impression that more happened that we don't know yet that is far worse. Dave even admitted both of them -- JBL and Mauro -- will probably look awful in the end.

I guess that would make sense as to why Mauro would be making some kind of deal to never talk about the issue then because he's been anointed by wrestling twitter already as a perfect person incapable of having done any wrong in this situation.

Whatever details emerge to make Mauro look bad, we have to remember that the man is mentally ill and does have a history of bipolar disorder. That's not excusing it or being an apologist for him, but it does explain why excessive "ribbing" and "hazing" - let's call it what it is, bullying - might trigger some of the less-than-pretty and not-so-savory aspects of his condition. Yes, it's inspirational that he overcome all of that to have an amazing career, but not every aspect of his condition, personality, and life is going to be a happy-go-lucky ABC After School Special. It would be unfair to expect that of anyone, much less someone whose mental state is dependent on the imperfect science and changing requirements of medical dosages.

BTW, a poster on WC linked to this. It collects all of the JBL bullying stories into one post, formatted as sort of an oral history.

http://www.fightful.com/jbl-and-wwes-culture-hazing-bullying-oral-history