Pro Wrestling Only

Mauro and JBL

sek69

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why Otunga got so much hate in his first go around because Mauro was clearly the one dragging that team down not Otunga. I wouldn't mind seeing them give him another shot this time as a heel color commentator instead of what he was doing before.

Mauro is good in his niche, and his niche is not mainstream North American wrestling. He was good calling New Japan with Barnett, he was listenable calling MMA and boxing, and I enjoy him calling NXT. I think he'd be a good fit in ROH about two years ago, so I think he might be in the right spot, as he's not bad with Nigel right now, but he's no great shakes. I think people liked him so much because he was so totally different than anyone on WWE programming had been in eons.

I am really ok with JBL stepping down from this position. I liked him a while back, but he has become a parody of himself (much like Jerry did at his worst) and just feels very transparent to me. They are all telling stories, playing their part, and selling the product, but JBL doesn't feel like he is trying to do anything other than that.

Anyway, on the whole, I generally have a positive opinion of him, but I think his contribution ran dry a while ago.

I always felt Ranallo was at his best when working for Showtime Boxing 'cause it was obvious that he knew his limitations there, and was learning on the job. He wasn't going to act like a big boxing expert with Al Bernstein next to him. I don't hate Mauro, it's just that with pro wrestling and mixed martial arts, it felt like (and still feels like) he always wants you to know how much he knows, and it can get annoying.

So what's the deal with a bunch of folks in the biz going off on Twitter about internet rumors about JBL leaving?

Please expand.

Although, as soon as this story broke I thought it smelled highly fishy. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this actually was a result of the Mauro Ranallo situation - like Vince asked for his resignation at the time but agreed to put it off for a couple of months so it didn't look like they were caving to pressure from the outside. At the very least, I don't think he's really quitting to devote more time to charity. I think he's quitting or being forced out for reasons we don't yet know. Just my opinion.

JBL's departure was supposedly in the works since October 2016, before the Mauro situation began.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/09/04/jbl-quits-commentary-wwe-smackdown-live

Graves is replacing JBL on Smackdown

And Nigel is replacing Graves on 205 Live and Main Event.

Hmmm. So it that story is to be believed, JBL quit because they were pressuring him over making his own travel arrangements and not wanting to spend as much time on the road? Plausible.

So this means RAW will be Cole, Graves and King Bookah, and SDL will be Phillips, Graves and Saxton? They're really going to be working Graves into the ground. Which from a selfish perspective is great, because he's excellent. I especially enjoy he and Phillips working together. I have no issue with Nigel working 205 Live because Graves was wasted there anyhow. Your #1 color guy shouldn't be on your C show.