Pro Wrestling Only

Booker T hates Corey Graves now? Is this a real thing?

The Thread Killer

His tweet after Ronda's losses that WWE would never touch her because she's now damaged goods hasn't aged well, and I hope he gets shit about it on a regular basis.

To say it hasn't aged well would imply that it ever had any merit to begin with. Even at the time, everyone thought Coach was an idiot for saying that.

BTW, the sudden Booker T love in this thread is hilarious. Where were all of you a week ago? He was atrocious as a commentator. As a wrestler? Yes. very solid. After that? Awful. I don't know if Coach is the answer either, but anything's an improvement over Booker T...anything at all!

I don't know what's fact or fiction with this Graves issue, but if you read Book's books, he's a major hothead there too. There was one story about him flipping out because someone took his energy drink. He comes across horribly, which is even worse when you consider that it was his book and he was the one telling the story.

Also, there's this quote from an interview:

Rental Cars and Doing Media

“I remember doing a pay-per-view right here in my own hometown. I was working Samoa Joe, and they wanted me to do media. Go around to all the television stations. I was like, man, I don’t mind doing that. And I remember one of the reps, I ain’t gonna say his name, he called me and he said, ‘Booker. You ready to do the media?’ And I go, ‘Yeah. I’m ready. I’ll text you my address.’ He goes, ‘No, just meet me at this hotel.’ It was right off the southwest freeway. And I live in Friendswood, so he wanted me to drive out there, about a 45-minute drive. He wanted me [to] meet him, and we go on all the media tour. I go ‘What you driving?’ and he goes, ‘I have a rental car.’ And I go, ‘I ain’t going nowhere in no rental car, and I ain’t gonna come out there when it should be a rental car coming to my house and pick me up!’ I say, that’s not gonna happen, so he goes, ‘Let me make a phone call.’

“So he calls the office, the office calls me. They say ‘Book. What’s going on? I heard you don’t want to go do the media.’ [i told them], ‘I don’t mind going to do the media, but I’m not driving.’ I said someone should come pick me up. The guys goes, ‘Well, you got some nice cars, don’t you?’ I go, ‘Yeah I got some nice cars. I got five of them. And a Winnebago. And they all gonna stay at home.’ I say, come on man. Every time I had a talent from TNA come to Reality of Wrestling, the flagship of Texas Wrestling, every time I’ve had one come down, they’ve all got limo treatment. Picked up at the airport. Brought to the arena. Took back to the hotel, they got a basket in the room. With all kind of fruits and Red Bulls and all kind of stuff in it. And you guys are a major company and you want me to drive myself around? I’m like, come on. Come on. That’s not the way you do business. And I really think that’s one of the reasons why TNA is in the dire straits that they are [now].”

Refusing to Put Over Matt Morgan

“They said it real quick, and brushed it off real quick. [They] hurried up and got up out of there. But before they left, I said, let me think about that, and we’ll talk. As soon as he walked out, I walked out right behind him and I thought about it. I go, ‘No, we’re not gonna do that.’ I been around for a long time. I know I’m leaving, but I don’t wanna just go out there and do a job on my way out. I can’t do that. So, I’m not gonna do that.’ So, they go talk to the powers that be, and they come talk to me. They say, ‘Book, you don’t wanna put him over?’ I go, ‘No. I’m not doing that.’ … It was an insult on so many ways. So, finally they talked, and they come back and say, ‘Well, we’ll do it the original way.’ I go, ‘No. I can’t do that either, because you insulted me.’ So tonight, I’m gonna take off. How bout that.”

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/872641-booker-t-explains-why-he-left-tna-why-he-refused-to-put-over-matt-morgan-advise-he-gave-bobby-roode-more

So, yeah, it's obvious that Book feels very entitled about his "veteran" status, so it's not out of the question for him to be irked by a "young boy" like Graves "disrespecting" him. Maybe Graves is a total ass? Who knows. Graves certainly sounded like an ignorant clown on "Bring It to the Table" when he admitted an old Buddy Rogers match bored him. But Booker is known for his temper and arrogance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been tweeting about how awesome Booker T was on commentary for months. That was by far the best 3 man booth that WWE has had since they've come obsessed with them and the team had great chemistry together. It also lead to a fresh dynamic where none of them were really straight heel or face and each had their own acts they were either fans of or didn't like with Corey Graves hating Elias but Cole & Booker being fans of him and Booker T constantly hating on Jason Jordan while Graves & Cole usually defended him.

Booker T always brought a frantic, fun energy to the booth that hasn't been matched in a long, long time. I absolutely, unapologetically loved every minute of it. I can understand why his unpolished approach would irritate some people, but I definitely dug it. He sounded like a real person - flubs, flaws, and all. I'll forever take that over the monotone, social media-oriented corporate-approved lingo we have to hear spill out from most of the other announcers.

I don't know. I'm certainly comfortable in accepting the idea that my tastes are totally disconnected from almost everyone else lately. Like, why can't Graves be bored by a Buddy Rogers match for example? Why does that automatically make the guy an idiot? Stuff like that just sounds stupid to me. Someone may see it as him being dismissive of a certain style or time, but it's equally dismissive and hypocritical to just dismiss his opinions without knowing the criticisms or reasoning behind it. Maybe the guy just finds the work bland or dry. Not everyone's going to watch a 50 year old match with a notepad and a compulsion to rate it right afterward.

BTW, the sudden Booker T love in this thread is hilarious. Where were all of you a week ago?

I've been praising Booker T on Twitter for months too. Politely engaged with Loss on Twitter too to try to convince him of the greatness of Booker T. Hardly anything sudden for me, I've been praising and enjoying Booker since at least September. Random Tweets that came up of me tweeting about Booker (ignore the Astros tweet ha):

27655531_10215529357685836_2937643512552

Add me to the Booker T love. I thought he was a breath of fresh air when he started back in 2011, and then loved him again when he came back. He actually sounds different and unproduced compared to every other announcer (including Graves). His rants remind me of Dusty and commentary needs someone like him to keep things interesting. And, his yelling makes me laugh unlike Mauro's which I just find grating.

Booker was so great on several levels and I just can't understand anyone preferring Coach to Booker. Booker really stood out to me, and his enthusiasm was infectious. The dynamic also brought out more personality out of Michael Cole and Corey Graves, and made all three of them really shine together.

People have been entertained by Booker and mentioning it on Twitter for quite a while. Maybe the guy is a hot head but I dont think personality flaws should keep anyone back from enjoying a performer in pro-wrestling. Otherwise, youd have to stop watching altogether.

Obviously no one in the company thought Graves was going too hard on him in the booth, given how much Vince overproduces the commentary. Indeed, its probably the sort of shit he encouraged. I assume they had always planned to shuffle Booker down if they were bringing in Coach. Maybe he was a last minute appointment I guess but he certainly wouldnt come back just to do kick-offs and backstage interviews. He kinda sucks on Raw though.

Booker was so great on several levels and I just can't understand anyone preferring Coach to Booker. Booker really stood out to me, and his enthusiasm was infectious. The dynamic also brought out more personality out of Michael Cole and Corey Graves, and made all three of them really shine together.

Booker wasn't great, but he was the unpolished non-corporate voice WWE TV badly needs when everything is scripted to death in WWE lingo. Coach is better in terms of announcing ability but he's just WWE announcebot #708908 out there.

I really don't think Booker T wanted to be on commentary and doesn't care that he got taken off. He just said that shit about wanting to fight Corey Graves because he knew people would talk about it and it might get more people to listen to his radio show. There is some quote out there from Booker on an interview from a while back talking about how he prefers to just do the pre-show stuff instead of weekly announcing because it gives him more time for Reality of Wrestling.

Whether Booker T does or doesn't care about being taken off commentary doesn't change the fact that he was far more entertaining in the booth than The Coach has been over the past 2 weeks.

Booker T vs. Corey Graves is now official...

...for Booker's podcast.

I’m going to address all of the news from this past week on my show tomorrow. There’s been a lot of things said and I’d like to publicly invite @WWEGraves to call in and clear the air.
— Booker T. Huffman (@BookerT5x) February 9, 2018

Gladly. You have my number. https://t.co/BhvrIDStnS
— Corey Graves (@WWEGraves) February 9, 2018

So, yeah...work!

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/2/9/16995056/booker-t-corey-graves-raw-issues-addressed-heated-conversations-podcast

Coach became extremely smarmy and holier-than-thou once he started working for ESPN. He just sounded like he thought he was above everyone else on any show he did, which is funny because for most of the time he was there he was a fill in host on the radio side.

His tweet after Ronda's losses that WWE would never touch her because she's now damaged goods hasn't aged well, and I hope he gets shit about it on a regular basis.

Maybe they'll put Ronda in the ring with him and let her beat the crap out of him while he does his best Screaming Norman Smiley impersonation.

Yep both of them were laughing about the whole thing on Booker's radio show. On Twitter Corey just tweeted: GOTCHA

Great way to guarantee 1. that no one will ever listen to Booker T's show again, and 2. fans will be a lot less forgiving of Corey now that he's a shell of what he was in NXT because of Vince yelling in his ear, being overproduced, commenting a 3-hour show, or whatever the reasons are. Lose-lose for both of those carney ass-clowns.

It's not worth getting a dirty diaper over.

I'm not. I don't care at all. But I do wonder what the logic behind it was, because it does nothing positive for Booker T or Corey Graves. I guess it's just "boys will be boys" and "boys having fun" but it seems completely pointless to me from a business standpoint - assuming Booker even cares about building his radio show and either of them care about their credibility. Maybe they don't. If so, more power to 'em - "ha! ha!" they sure "got" us. :rolleyes:

Yep both of them were laughing about the whole thing on Booker's radio show. On Twitter Corey just tweeted: GOTCHA

Great way to guarantee 1. that no one will ever listen to Booker T's show again, and 2. fans will be a lot less forgiving of Corey now that he's a shell of what he was in NXT because of Vince yelling in his ear, being overproduced, commenting a 3-hour show, or whatever the reasons are. Lose-lose for both of those carney ass-clowns.

He's pretty much the same, if not better than what he was in NXT, although I can see why him being both on RAW and SmackDown might not be so good in the long run.

Not sure why one would be so upset in order to call them carney ass clowns, but hey, I'm pretty sure people would have lots of fun listening to them. Can't see why this would be a lose-lose.

It's not worth getting a dirty diaper over.

I'm not. I don't care at all. But I do wonder what the logic behind it was, because it does nothing positive for Booker T or Corey Graves. I guess it's just "boys will be boys" and "boys having fun" but it seems completely pointless to me from a business standpoint - assuming Booker even cares about building his radio show and either of them care about their credibility. Maybe they don't. If so, more power to 'em - "ha! ha!" they sure "got" us. :rolleyes:

“I’m not owned! I’m not owned!”

Also, there's this quote from an interview:

Rental Cars and Doing Media

I remember doing a pay-per-view right here in my own hometown. I was working Samoa Joe, and they wanted me to do media. Go around to all the television stations. I was like, man, I dont mind doing that. And I remember one of the reps, I aint gonna say his name, he called me and he said, Booker. You ready to do the media? And I go, Yeah. Im ready. Ill text you my address. He goes, No, just meet me at this hotel. It was right off the southwest freeway. And I live in Friendswood, so he wanted me to drive out there, about a 45-minute drive. He wanted me [to] meet him, and we go on all the media tour. I go What you driving? and he goes, I have a rental car. And I go, I aint going nowhere in no rental car, and I aint gonna come out there when it should be a rental car coming to my house and pick me up! I say, thats not gonna happen, so he goes, Let me make a phone call.

So he calls the office, the office calls me. They say Book. Whats going on? I heard you dont want to go do the media. [i told them], I dont mind going to do the media, but Im not driving. I said someone should come pick me up. The guys goes, Well, you got some nice cars, dont you? I go, Yeah I got some nice cars. I got five of them. And a Winnebago. And they all gonna stay at home. I say, come on man. Every time I had a talent from TNA come to Reality of Wrestling, the flagship of Texas Wrestling, every time Ive had one come down, theyve all got limo treatment. Picked up at the airport. Brought to the arena. Took back to the hotel, they got a basket in the room. With all kind of fruits and Red Bulls and all kind of stuff in it. And you guys are a major company and you want me to drive myself around? Im like, come on. Come on. Thats not the way you do business. And I really think thats one of the reasons why TNA is in the dire straits that they are [now].

So, yeah, it's obvious that Book feels very entitled about his "veteran" status,

Booker is 150% right on this one. That's a super cheapskate move to pull on your literal main-eventer for the weekend. There are lots of indies who would be embarrassed by that. Hell, I've got friends who do break-even bookings of alt-comedy stars in my Flyover Region city, and do you know what they do? They rent a nice car and drive the star around for the duration, especially if there's media to do. It's common courtesy and good business to treat star talent like stars, hometown or not. (Maybe hometown especially.) You asked for their presence, they didn't come begging to you.