General Chat topic

Loss

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was brought up in the south west of England in somerset and Dorset by two Welsh parents, the south west of the UK is one of the richest and whitest areas of the UK but we were not very rich it was safe to say there were a lot of elitist and racist people around. Both of my parents work for the NHS one is a GP manager and the other a biomedical scientist, working in the NHS their jobs are constantly in danger as with every new budget and act of the health secretary their job might not exist a month later or will be moved to some other place in the county, with a long term conservative government more and more of the health service is being privatized and they do not know who or what is next. For example my Mother has worked the same or similar job in 6 different hospitals over the last decade or so working at one then another then back to the first then to a different one and so on it was not great, it led to my parents being split geographically as my mother moved to work on the shithole known as the isle of wight, while dad, me and my brothers stayed in Dorset, they were still together but just separated by work.

I would not say I have any vices or whatever, I don't drink any alcohol or have never done any drugs, none of it appeals to me, but I do have a endless list of mental health problems relating to anxiety and major depression. I still get terrified when I write a post on here and somebody responds to it, pretty much any talking to somebody is scary but more-so when it is not in person as I cannot see their facial expressions or body language or whatever.

For food, when I do actually eat anything I adore curries, also aside from proper curry in Wales there is the delicacy of chicken curry (not curry sauce) and chips from the chippy, it is absolutely brilliant.

My family was pretty much on the lower end of middle class, we didn't have many luxuries but we didn't go without things either. My dad was like most men of his era around here and worked in the steel industry, and a combination of that field dying off and my mother's health issues finally forcing her to leave her nursing job to go on full disability led to some belt tightening. Never anything horrible, you always knew of someone who had it worse off than you so you'd feel like an asshole for complaining, but sometimes it sucked to miss out on something because your folks couldn't afford it.

Hockey fans?

What's your team? What do you think of Vegas making it to the Stanley Cup Finals? If there is enough of us, would love to start a fantasy hockey league next season.

I've been a Leafs fan as long as I've been a wrestling fan (1988) and Vegas making the finals is the greatest thing ever (well, next to the Leafs making it).

Columbus Blue Jackets. My wife and I have season tickets.

Amazing. I could try to get Leafs season tickets, but sadly I am not rich enough and also there is a 100 year waiting list, so I'd be dead.

You can pay monthly here and full tickets are like $160 a month for nosebleeds. They have half season or quarters that are less. The Leafs I hear take first born children.

Columbus Blue Jackets. My wife and I have season tickets.

Amazing. I could try to get Leafs season tickets, but sadly I am not rich enough and also there is a 100 year waiting list, so I'd be dead.

You can pay monthly here and full tickets are like $160 a month for nosebleeds. They have half season or quarters that are less. The Leafs I hear take first born children.

That would be an amazing price...

Recent aritcle, from March:

The team is telling season ticket holders this week that renewals for next fall will cost roughly an extra 10 to 15 percent, on average.

It comes on the heels of a similar increase after last season.

On a per-ticket basis, the price of an average seat in the lower bowl is heading up $24, to $270.

In the upper bowl, prices are going up $12 per ticket to an average of $94 each.

This season, the average re-sale price of a ticket in the nose-bleed sections sells on re-sale websites for close to $150 dollars.

so $3,854 to $11,070 for season tickets. That is single tickets.

Also waiting list is only about 20 years, so I exaggerated.

Grew up lower middle class in Calgary in the 80s and 90s. Used to be a huge hockey fan and will always love the Flames (woooo 1989!), but living on the West coast for 13 years and removed from it all and my sports loving friends dulled my interest. Have slowly lost intetest in most sports tbh, and I used to be a crazy sports junkie. Still a HUGE fan of the NFL though and the Eagles (woooo Super Bowl champs!)

Never really been a big fan of international hockey outside of the Olympics. Mostly I'd guess because they were near impossible to find on TV anywhere in the US until really the last few years with the proliferation of niche sports channels.

Grew up going to Leafs games in late 70s early 80s, but am a lifelong Vancouver Canucks fan. I've played hockey since I was five.

Best hockey moment: 2010 Olympic gold medal men's hockey game. I was about 100 feet from where the golden goal was scored.