Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Extreme Rules 2018

Richeyedwards

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

Ehh. Bo is nothing special in the ring. Never has been. I watched him botch a bulldog headlock & fuck up running the ropes (against Jinder, iirc) as late as 2012 after he'd already received his first big baby face push in FCW. But he's a fun bit player and passable when it comes to wrestling comedy.

I dug Axel as a serious mid-carder more than I had any justifiable reason to, and his NXT 2012 run should get a lot more love than it does. But nobody's lining up to spend dollars & cents to see the guy do anything. Ever.

I'm okay with them in this spot, but it is a shame that they've basically sacrificed the short-term health of an entire division to get here. It's comedy team versus comedy team, and so there's really no reason to care.

What's even worse is the way they've built this thing up. The B-Team would be a fun enough act as underdogs, but they've been booked to suddenly win so many matches that they're not really underdogs anymore in this story. I mean, not *really*.

And so what little incentive anyone may have had to invest a single fuck in them winning is already gone out the window, because you've likely already seen it once a week, every week in the six weeks leading up to this show.

5 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

In 2018 WWE? Where guys get set up in title programs after winning just one match ALL the time? Jinder after the Mania loss to Mojo. Styles after the Mania loss to Jericho. And on & on. Come on, man. It's not like this is a foreign concept for them.

Less is more. If they're underdogs, establish them as challengers with a big win & then spend a month reminding people that they're underdogs. Build anticipation for a possible title win.

Whether you think it's okay or not, it *does* diminish the celebration and the elation you evoke from the actual, eventual title win if you're giving the same scenario to people over & over again every week in matches and situations that mean much less.

You're right. They're playing their parts well. The big celebrations and stuff are great. But that doesn't mean it isn't taking something away from what could/should be a bigger moment for them later. Why settle for something good immediately - ad nauseum - if you could show a little patience and create something great with the payoff a little later?

All true. Everything of how they went about this was bizarre. The B Team completely dominated them at every turn. The last 3 weeks of RAW: Axel beat Matt (in under a minute), Axel beat Matt, Bo beat Matt. Then tonight.... they win again, 100% clean. Apparently Matt and Bray, or at least Matt, are the underdogs. Hated most of this show but the later half had a few bright spots.

It's not really a good look no matter how you see it, is it?

I mean, when your first action is to give out on the crowd after you looked like a geek in the match, you do open yourself up for that interpretation. Sure the crowd was obnoxious as shit, but his bro Roman takes that kind of shit in stride and isn't really bothered by it.

Was kinda expecting him to address the crowd counting down mid-match, really.

If Rollins did flip out on Twitter, I'd probably think higher of him. Set aside any issues of how good or bad the match was and ask yourself how angry you'd get if you're working really hard and it's not that it doesn't click or the crowd doesn't get as involved as you would have hoped, but more that they are entertaining themselves with chants and seem to have zero actual regard for the profession they claim to be fans of. There's an implied relationship where the people who buy tickets purport to be actual fans. Reacting this way to a match with that level of effort goes beyond what people do and don't pop for and comes across as making fun of wrestlers all while they're doing stuff that could injure them or worse.

1 hour ago, Loss said:

If Rollins did flip out on Twitter, I'd probably think higher of him. Set aside any issues of how good or bad the match was and ask yourself how angry you'd get if you're working really hard and it's not that it doesn't click or the crowd doesn't get as involved as you would have hoped, but more that they are entertaining themselves with chants and seem to have zero actual regard for the profession they claim to be fans of. There's an implied relationship where the people who buy tickets purport to be actual fans. Reacting this way to a match with that level of effort goes beyond what people do and don't pop for and comes across as making fun of wrestlers all while they're doing stuff that could injure them or worse.

I'd probably be as angry at my supervisor for putting me in that situation?