Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

5 hours ago, The Man in Blak said:

Maybe as an attempt to redirect, I’ll just say that AEW takes a lot of flak for moves that require excess gymnastics and cooperation, but it’s everywhere in modern wrestling: Austin Theory does more forward rolls before moves than RVD and one of the hottest new finishers in NXT is Sol Ruca springboarding off the top and flipping/tucking forward into a cutter while their opponent just kind of hangs out for a few seconds. Athleticism is the aesthetic now for wrestlers that can’t elicit a “CALL THE POLICE” from Titus O’Neal at ringside when they blister someone’s chest with a chop.

I don't know if he's done it in the last two years or so as I stopped watching his matches but Rollins did the superplex to falcon arrow move that finished 1 of 300 matches and that shit made me more angry at wrestling than any other flippy move I've ever seen :lol:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MoS said:

Reports are that WBD are heavily involved in Punk's return, which makes me think that he is a bigger difference-maker than we can make out from publicly available metrics. 

All I'd seen was that they had been made aware of it, but I wouldn't be surprised at some pressure if they feel he moves ratings. Heck, highly possible the conversation was:

WBD Exec: Can we get Punk back?

Tony: Honestly, a lot of people hate him. (half-joking) He'd have to, like, be on his own show.

WBD Exec: So... you want another show?

Tony: (trying to hide his excitement) Um... sure, we could do that.

Unfortunately in the past wrestling benefited from a mostly black and white world where there was good and evil that at the time seemed to be clearly defined. You cheered for the good guys and booed the bad guys. Then it became cool to cheer the bad guy, or have shades of grey, ‘tweeners’ in some cases that weren’t so easily defined. More complex characters maybe in some cases, lazy booking in others, but society had changed too. The good guys weren’t always so bright and shiny, and maybe the bad guys weren’t so evil after all. Especially when it came to USA vs the world that stuff was something that didn’t really work anymore. Someone like Cena who was probably the last big time babyface ace would have been cheered by everyone in the 80’s but that time had passed. The other side of the coin is that with social media and the 24 hour news cycle we know everything about everyone for better and for worse. It makes the suspension of disbelief harder and it also brings everything that someone says or does to light outside of the ring. It makes it harder to cheer for someone when you know they aren’t that great of a person in reality. The magic is gone in a lot of ways. Every now and again things are good both in ring and story wise but it’s harder these days I think to make those connections and build those payoffs. 

21 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I feel like there's been something of a "soft brand split" for most of Rampage's run, in the same way that Smackdown had a group of guys that got a lot more time on SD than Raw in 1999/2000.

That has been especially noticeable to me because here in Canada we can’t even watch Rampage on TV (and I assume we won’t be able to get the new show either.)

Somebody will disappear from Dynamite and start wrestling on Rampage, or an angle/feud will start or continue there, and I will have no clue what the hell is going on.

Dax Harwood and Matt Koon claim AEW and Tony Khan did not ask them to end it, but Dax says the podcast was not accomplishing what he had hoped it would. He said the podcast was bringing heat on himself and especially Cash Wheeler, and he didn’t want to do that. He read a text message from Cash supporting him. He also pretty much admitted it was getting him heat with a lot of the AEW locker room. He mentioned how his publicly admitting that he was friends with CM Punk caused a lot more drama than he had anticipated.

Harwood has been very open about his own mental health issues, and he basically said that the podcast wasn’t doing much for his mental health either, due to the level of hate it was causing to be aimed at him. 

So…looks like that’s that, I guess. Probably the smart decision.

I honestly think the problem was his co-host. Koon's from the Conrad school of stirring the pot ad nauseam, which is fine for retired wrestlers but not so great for active guys. There's a version of the podcast that's not nearly as hot take-y, but it wasn't getting there with Koon as co-host.

I don't see the point of ROH if not a brand split, just give the keys to Punk and FTR. Give them Miro, Joe, Andrade (if he sticks around), RUSH, Claudio, Nigel, Shibata, Starks, Moriarty, Hook, and Hobbs.

AEW keeps the Elite, the Pillars, Mox, and Jericho. 

AEW ought to find some airtime for RJ City on the televised broadcast.  Not exactly sure how to optimize it but he's doing great numbers on Youtube with Hey! (EW). Some of his interviews do more traffic than segments on Rampage. He's very quick witted and a natural talker. Don't know much about his wrestling history but they should find a way to put him on as a manager or some other role.

A lesser man would ask that you PM me with your apologies, given when I said from the outset there was no doubt Punk was coming back once he was healed, you all crapped on the notion.

Turns out, I'm a lesser man. Please PM me with your apologies, for the time I said from the outset there was no doubt Punk was coming back once he was healed, and you all crapped on the notion.

2 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

A lesser man would ask that you PM me with your apologies, given when I said from the outset there was no doubt Punk was coming back once he was healed, you all crapped on the notion.

Turns out, I'm a lesser man. Please PM me with your apologies, for the time I said from the outset there was no doubt Punk was coming back once he was healed, and you all crapped on the notion.

IIRC, fans crapped on the notion that the event never happened and it was all elaborate work. Until we get some Russo-riffic Punk-Elite team up and Talk Is Jericho kumbya podcast where they breakdown their awesome 'work' your PM box will remain empty. :P

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

Hyped for Punk’s return, providing they go right back where things left off with MJF and we steer clear of Jericho and the Bucks. 

Jericho is too carny not to let the opportunity pass by. It’ll be ok if they do it, not great but if he’s the only one willing I guess that’s all I they can do. If a feud with Punk isn’t artsy enough or if the Elite say “that doesn’t work for me, brother” then it’ll be a one and done and everyone can move on. Give Punk the win to set him up for the program with MJF. 

3 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

You spent multiple pages of that thread telling everybody that Brawl Out was a work because nobody took a cellphone video - still stand by that?

3 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Jericho is too carny not to let the opportunity pass by. It’ll be ok if they do it, not great but if he’s the only one willing I guess that’s all I they can do. If a feud with Punk isn’t artsy enough or if the Elite say “that doesn’t work for me, brother” then it’ll be a one and done and everyone can move on. Give Punk the win to set him up for the program with MJF. 

You’re probably right but I guess they don’t actually need to build him up since he never technically lost the belt. Then again, the rankings are a thing of the past and Sammy Guevara is going for the top belt so who knows how TK is doing things now