flyonthewall2983

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/11/2019 at 4:17 PM, C.S. said:

I agree that Sherri should be there with them, but she technically wasn't part of the team and I'm sure she'll be mentioned and thanked profusely. She deserves her own induction anyway.

She was inducted in 2006.

If this backlash is because the Hart Foundation "got bumped" for Harlem Heat (assuming they did), the reason why is obvious to me. Expecting Bret Hart to take a backseat to DX was never, ever, ever going to fly - no matter how "buddy-buddy" he and Shawn Michaels supposedly are now.

Plus, it's hilarious that Booker T is a multiple-time inductee and Bret isn't.

Well it took them five years, but they are finally going to give the Warrior Award the way it was intended. Sue Aitchison, who has been with the company over 20 years is the liason between them and Make-A-Wish (among other community relations things) was named this year's recipient. 

16 hours ago, sek69 said:

Well it took them five years, but they are finally going to give the Warrior Award the way it was intended. Sue Aitchison, who has been with the company over 20 years is the liason between them and Make-A-Wish (among other community relations things) was named this year's recipient. 

Yes and no. I doubt Warrior would object to this one, but if you had a Venn diagram between the people he'd think were appropriate for the award (long time office and production people) and the people WWE want to have it (PR highlights), this would hit both. While she may be absolutely deserving, this is definitely just a way to celebrate their Make-A-Wish connection instead of celebrating some long time. Not exactly a Jimmy Miranda award. 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:40 PM, flyonthewall2983 said:

In order of importance the real criteria for induction is if you’re not on the McMahon shit-list, if they can make money/media attention off of you getting in, or if you made an undeniable impact on the industry. 

Eventually, every wrestler will be in the WWE HoF. 

Just now, C.S. said:

As soon as the notification appeared, I knew it would be a response to my post here. :D 

Has WWE ever inducted two tag teams in one year before?

The Funks and the Von Erichs both were inducted in 2009 but that's the only time its previously happened.

38 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

No. So, either he's announced next week or he isn't in this year. Quite frankly, I hope Bam Bam Bigelow is in this year instead of Beefcake.

I am guessing he isn't in this year, because they started the HOF announcements with DX and ended with Hart Foundation. Seems like appropriate bookends. Beefcake being announced after would be weird.

I eagerly look forward to being quoted when I'm wrong though. :P

Edit: I wonder if Harlem Heat got the spot rumored/planned for Brutus "the fucking Barber" Beefcake? That would make sense, because I don't think there were any rumors about Harlem Heat going in before it happened, were there?

Not that I can remember. I mean, from a "geographical" point of view, being billed from Harlem, it makes sense to have them inducted this year. But until they were announced, the majority of people (myself included) thought they were taking the Hart Foundation's spot as the tag team induction for this class.

as for the HF is there a set time when they stopped portraying Neidhart as the designated star of the team?  From 85-88 it was no question Anvil was put over as the bigger star.  1988?  Bret's singles push went nowhere.  Then they get back together in 89, briefly split up again and have the 90/91 "rebirth" run with one last run with the titles.  I don't think it was until that 90/91 run where Bret started to stick and you could see stardom as  a singles.  Although I never thought he'd be world champion or even IC

Bret is quoted as being very insecure with doing heel promos during the initial run, so it made Neidhart by default the main guy. In the ring at least, I don't think either guy could have topped Jimmy Hart as far as promos. Pushing Bret as a singles while still having Jim around, working in the same gear didn't make much sense. They did it a little bit with Shawn later on too. I think the first inkling of a serious singles push came at the end of that Survivor Series 90 match where Bret and Ted Dibiase have a good little match of their own. Reading about it in Bret's book in the context of his brother Dean's death was very moving. He might have had a few shining moments on television and in house shows, but to me that's really Bret's coming out, before the push really began.

Funny that you say you never saw him as world champ. By the time I started watching he was already IC champ, lost and got it back again but I felt the same way. It was a shock to see him on All American Wrestling with the belt, and I mean that in a good way. Looking back it kind of sucks that Flair never had the belt for very long during that time, as an extended reign could have had major benefits for the WWF. But it was nonetheless exciting there was a new guy to lead the company forward and again looking back I can't think of someone better on that roster to have been the guy than Bret. Athletic, good-looking and was a bonafide veteran of the industry by this time, and above all was already familiar with the WWF audience due to the 8 years he'd been with them.