Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Double or Nothing

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show was all about the 3 main events and they were all memorable for different reasons. Rhodes bros was awesome. Old school bloody babyface Dustin was great. Tag wasn't my style but definitely felt like a big time match and I got into it. I thought the Jericho-Omega match was dull but the finish was cool as a "real sports" shock finish, putting over Jericho's new finish as a kill shot. Post match Jericho promo was great heeling. Moxley is here and the show ends with intrigue. Had a blast watching with friends. I love pro wrestling 

Cody-Dustin was MOTN for me.

The battle royal was actually entertaining, and all of the undercard matches were at least fun.

Jericho-Omega was good but probably needed to be 10 minutes shorter.

I was too wiped out after Cody-Dustin to really appreciate Bucks-Lucha Bros., so that is probably worth a revisit.

The surprises - Kong, Bret, Moxley, etc. - were all great.

Really enjoyable show overall. The most notable thing, for me, was the pacing. Even though it was a long PPV, it didn't feel incessantly bogged down like WWE shows do.

BTW, a good look at the AEW World Title belt.

Triple main event delivered, especially Cody/Dustin which was just the best, so old school. The preshow felt really bush league with that battle royal lineup, the horrible comedy skit, and yeah I did think Excalibur in the mask is a bit silly but felt commentary got better as the show went on. Great main card though so good for them.

31 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Gonna be an interesting day at the office on Monday for poor Renee.

Does anyone really believe WWE was caught by surprise on this though?

Renee's hubby telegraphed a move of some kind when he posted that video on Twitter.

Anyone who believed the rumors about him going to Impact, or anyone with any real star power ever going to Impact at this point, is pretty naive.

8 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Does anyone really believe WWE was caught by surprise on this though?

Surprised? No. I'm sure they knew what his plans were when he made it clear he was letting his deal run out. I'm just thinking they're so petty that they'll still take it out on her because that's the type of thing they tend to do. 

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

Surprised? No. I'm sure they knew what his plans were when he made it clear he was letting his deal run out. I'm just thinking they're so petty that they'll still take it out on her because that's the type of thing they tend to do. 

If they do, it's to their detriment. Renee has other options now.

And she doesn't even have to wait for her contract to run out. If she experiences even a whiff of harassment, all she has to do is post a simple tweet to shut that down and make things very bad for WWE very quickly.

This isn't the 1990s with googly-eyed Uncle Eric smoking a cigar and laughing off a Missy Hyatt nip slip pic pinned up at CNN Center.

So, yeah, I would think and hope WWE is a hell of a lot smarter than that now. 

5 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Maybe they genuinely thought they could sweet talk him into signing back up after he took a few months out

I got that impression when Roman Reigns was asked about Ambrose's departure on a couple of occasions in the months leading up to it and Reigns replied something along the lines of "don't worry, I'll see to that". I genuinely think they thought he'd re-sign. 

Above average show that showed off a bit of how AEW will stand out from WWE, but also showing that they still need time to figure things out.

The production was at a good level, but the crowd needs to be better mic'd and the camera cuts need to be less severe. It was worse earlier on than later, so maybe somebody figured it out.

6-man, women's 4-way, and the Joshi tag were all fun. I also enjoyed Best Friends/Evans & Angelico despite my stream hiccuping fierce during it.

Cody/Dustin is the easy MotN and proof that a well done blade job can elevate a match but a great talent will make it matter. Best Cody singles match I've ever seen. 

Bucks/Lucha Bros was meh. I used to love the Bucks but they're still pulling out the same spots in the same order as they did 7+ years ago. The steam was running out by the end but it was exciting enough, I guess.

Omega/Jericho was garbage. It reminded me of HHH/Orton, honestly. Omega is just lousy at selling a wrestling match as being competition and everything he does looks so choreographed that he doesn't belong anywhere near a ME in any company. 

B- for me. A lot of promise and potential but a few warning signs.

I only saw the Young Bucks match. I've liked both of those teams in the past but I thought that was pretty bad. Penta has gotten pretty unbearable to watch without plunder. Will maybe try to check out the joshi tag and the Rhodes match.

I have a question for those who saw the first Jericho/Omega match at Wrestle Kingdom 12, and then also saw the Main Event last night.  From everything I have seen and read online, the general consensus seems to be that the WK12 Jericho/Omega match was very good/excellent.  I saw a lot of people say it was the best Chris Jericho match they'd seen in years. Conversely, from everything I have seen so far people seem to be a bit disappointed with the Main Event last night, especially in comparison to their WK12 match. I'm curious as to people's opinions regarding what the difference was between the two matches, why the first match seemed to work and the second one wasn't as good?

12 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I have a question for those who saw the first Jericho/Omega match at Wrestle Kingdom 12, and then also saw the Main Event last night.  From everything I have seen and read online, the general consensus seems to be that the WK12 Jericho/Omega match was very good/excellent.  I saw a lot of people say it was the best Chris Jericho match they'd seen in years. Conversely, from everything I have seen so far people seem to be a bit disappointed with the Main Event last night, especially in comparison to their WK12 match. I'm curious as to people's opinions regarding what the difference was between the two matches, why the first match seemed to work and the second one wasn't as good?

Jericho reigned things in because he was using some of his WWE character instead of his pschyopath New Japan character. It's like they did a toned down version of the match because Jericho didn't want to go so far out there with his character. I still enjoyed it. But it was the difference of a ***1/2 match and a ****1/2 match.