Pro Wrestling Only

AEW on TNT

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On last night's audio, Bryan and Dave talk about AEW getting a trademark for Wednesday Night Dynamite. Looks like that's probably going to be the day. I know the conventional wisdom was to go on Tuesdays since WWE established that as a wrestling day with Smackdown, but there'd be a ton of pre-emptions for NBA games if they were on then. 

16 hours ago, sek69 said:

On last night's audio, Bryan and Dave talk about AEW getting a trademark for Wednesday Night Dynamite. 

I know it's fitting the TNT name, but still. Nitro, Dynamite. They are going for the jugular, bringing back nightmares to people in NY.

• 1 month later...

First taping is scheduled for my hometown Washington D.C. on October 2nd. I'd say I'm 50/50 to go. For every great Cody Rhodes or MJF segment, I expect there to be two or three bathroom break level bad segments with the librarians, The Dark Order, Micheal Nakazawa, Jimmy Havoc, etc 

27 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

If they sell out this first tv taping while raw and SD are doing 2k-9k for an already established product, it's going to send a strong message. I want to see how quickly tickets move for the first show.

I would be shocked if it didn’t sell out pretty much immediately.  They’ve done a really good job of maintaining momentum especially considering Double or Nothing was already a couple months ago.  Many of the wrestlers involved have generated so much goodwill with their fans over the years and when you combine that with so many fans desperately hoping for them to succeed/for mainstream American wrestling to be good, I think they will have a fairly lengthy grace period to succeed.

Yeah, the question of ticket sales will be a much bigger deal on week 2. The real open question for ticket sales has always been what they look like when an AEW show stops being "special" and becomes simply a weekly thing. Week 1 is special, week 2 far less so.

I almost wonder if it would be feasible to announce say the first 3-4 shows in advance and put them on sale at the same time. At least that way you might get the effect of people who miss out on the DC show taking tickets for one of the other. You're spreading the demand across a few dates instead of betting it'll be there again for show 2/3/4 individually.

4 hours ago, FMKK said:

I almost wonder if it would be feasible to announce say the first 3-4 shows in advance and put them on sale at the same time. At least that way you might get the effect of people who miss out on the DC show taking tickets for one of the other. You're spreading the demand across a few dates instead of betting it'll be there again for show 2/3/4 individually.

Just a guess, but I'd bet they want the instant sell out for the first show, and then they'll try and use that to sell tickets quickly to the next set of shows.

Like a lot of people here, I'm desperate for a quality main stream wrestling program in America. AEW has the opportunity to be just that, yet they sign Marko Stunt. Half their roster is made of unathletic, undersized, comedy acts, which would be great for casting the Big Bang Theory not for a pro wrestling company. 

4 hours ago, joeg said:

Half their roster is made of unathletic, undersized, comedy acts, which would be great for casting the Big Bang Theory not for a pro wrestling company. 

Really now ?

https://www.allelitewrestling.com/roster (switch PAC for Stunt)

Ok, so Micheal Nakazawa and Peter Avalon (for now) are comedy guys. 

Jimmy Havoc looks undersized, but unathletic, nah, he can work, as showed by the last 6-men match. (and I don't even care for the guy) He could be thrown in comedy garbage guy on occasion.

I guess you could consider Sonny Kiss a comedy worker, or a US Exotico.

Stunt is undersized. That's his whole appeal. He's not unathletic by any stretch of the imagination.

That's exactly 4 people.

Add in the women.

Yeah, what an awful roster of misfits that have nothing to do in pro-wrestling....

You're missing, Chuckie T, Joey Janela, Brandon Cutler, Dark Order, etc. Thats 10 of the 20 some men they have under contract. Misfits would be a good word for it. You can have one or two of those guys the way ECW did, where that's their thing ie Spike Dudley or Mikey Whippereck, but you can't have those sort of guys be the norm. Guys like that, just makes a joke out of wrestling. Then there is another dozen guys who don't exactly look the part but can work and get over. They really only have four or five guys on the roster who look like athletes. Its incredibly indie. Not every guy needs to be 6 foot plus and a former college athlete, but you need more of those type of guys than 5'8" with no athletic background to make things look credible. 

24 minutes ago, joeg said:

You're missing, Chuckie T, Joey Janela, Brandon Cutler, Dark Order, 

They are not unathletic comedy guys. The Dark Order gimmick sucks, but the talent doesn't.

24 minutes ago, joeg said:

Not every guy needs to be 6 foot plus and a former college athlete, but you need more of those type of guys than 5'8" with no athletic background to make things look credible. 

Have you even see any of these guys work ? To say they are unathletic comedy guys is simply factually wrong. 

The whole "they don't look like athletes" is an incredibly dated reference.

Maybe I don't mind because I'm an old ECW fan. And lately, a LU fan.

Yes, I have unfortunately.  And no its not, turn on Monday Night Raw, name a single man or woman on that show who isn't credible as a professional athlete. Maybe Kevin Owens, but not looking the part is his thing. Tune into the G1, name one guy in that tournament who doesn't look like an athlete or have an athletic background.  A big chunk of AEW's roster is a lot more like the roster aiming to run head to head with Chikara or GCW than WWE and NJPW.