Pro Wrestling Only

AEW on TNT

flyonthewall2983

46 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I wouldn't put it past them to bring Enzo in for Janela to get his heat back after what went down at the blink-182 concert.

Did you see the video for that?  That whole thing screamed "work" to me, but either way I didn't get the whole thing. Enzo is basically a little annoying yappy dog, nipping at your heels - and Janela (who I assume is supposed to be some sort of hardcore tough guy) doesn't throw a punch and basically backs away from the confrontation after Enzo "threatens" him.  If it was real, I assume the reason neither guy actually threw a punch is because they didn't want to get thrown out of the concert, arrested or sued.  Either way, it confirms Enzo is an annoying little shit, but like I said, it didn't do much for Janela's rep.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Migs said:

But don't you know, it's the people who don't watch AEW who know exactly what they need to do to be successful. 

I have watched AEW but I don't know yet if I will watch AEW.  That depends on what they're planning on doing. I have seen every AEW show so far, although there have been a few matches I couldn't sit through so I hit FF.  And who knows, maybe they will be wildly successful. They have been so far.  What remains to be seen is if they can attract and maintain a large audience with the roster they have, presenting the style of wrestling they have. There is no doubt there is an audience for the Marko Stunt and Orange Cassidy types, but you know that is going to turn off a lot of "traditional" or old school fans. I don't know if it will appeal to new or returning fans or keep them hooked.  They seem to be inclined to try and offer a little bit of everything (hardcore, lucha, comedy, old school) all at once.  I don't know what the mix is going to be on TV.  Based on the roster they have right now, they sure look like they're going heavy into the goofy stuff, but it's way too soon to say.  For every Jon Moxley you have two comedy guys.

We need to see who else they sign, and how they use the guys they have signed. We need to see how good the booking is week to week, and how they balance their TV.  If I am going to get stuff like Cody vs. Dustin (or hell, even Cody vs. Darby Allin) I can either sit through or change the channel during the comedy and goofy crap.  But if the show is heavily balanced with the goofy stuff, then I don't really want to watch.  I am legit curious to see if other people will. I have never once said I don't want AEW to succeed or I don't think they will. Like Cornette says: "For people who like that kind of thing, this is the kind of thing those people will like."  The million dollar question still is will people like it once the novelty wears off.

The other major factor is how much people will automatically flock to AEW just because it isn't WWE and they're tired of having their intelligence insulted and want to make a statement. I don't for a minute discount how much that will factor into things.  If you offer somebody who is dying of thirst a drink, they take it no matter what it is.

There's also a weird psychological effect of WWE being the only wrestling a lot of people have ever known (for better or worse), so having a company come in to challenge them feels like a threat to those folks and/or an attack on their childhood. 

I've said it before, but there is a larger amount of folks out there who are wrestling fans that are not WWE fans. No one has ever really tried to tap into that market since WCW died, every attempt to be a major player has gone the route of trying to be Diet WWE, and if people want to see that style they'll watch WWE do it better. That's why the "workrate promotions" end up being the ones that get a lot of buzz on the indies, they offer something different than you see in WWE. It's why NXT got all it's initial buzz, it was offering something different.  

You can make an argument that AEW is trying too much to be a jack of all trades, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that. However the fact that they're even attempting to cater to different tastes seem to be winning over fans in a way that WWE's "we have one style and you'll like it" approach has failed to. 

It's funny you know, a lot of the rabid AEW fans who are hanging all their hopes on AEW like to imply that fans who dare criticize them want AEW to fail. I have been critical of AEW for a lot of their roster signings,and for some of the goofier and insulting to the intelligence content they've vomited up so far, but I don't want them to fail.  I just want them to produce a good product.  Conversely, as a lifelong Pro Wrestling fan, if something bizarre or catastrophic was to happen and Vince McMahon and WWE were to go out of business, I wouldn't shed one tear.  I'd feel bad for some of the people who worked there for losing their jobs, but screw Vince McMahon and screw that organization for some of the truly horrible shit they have done over the years.  Yeah Vince has tried to re-write history, sanitized the product to the point of total blandness, and at times has tried to take the Wrestling out of World Wrestling Entertainment.  That's bad, but not "he deserves to go out of business" bad.  But he's also done such unethical and in some cases outright immoral shit, that if he somehow lost WWE it would be karmic justice as far as I'm concerned.  In that sense, I'd rather see AEW succeed over WWE.

In a perfect world I'd like to see both WWE and AEW succeed, since the biggest the wrestling business ever grew was when there were two major companies constantly tweaking each other to get better. A world where AEW was the big dog and WWE was out of business or at Impact levels of insignificance would suck just as much as the WWE dominated landscape we have now (probably in a different way but it would still be bad). 

Just now, FMKK said:

The only other big thing they could pull was if The Revival are out of contract between now and October.

Meltzer reported that their contracts don't expire until next year (April maybe from memory?) and can't see them getting out of them any earlier in the current environment.

Anyone know when the Briscoe Brothers ROH deals finish?

13 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I have watched AEW but I don't know yet if I will watch AEW.  That depends on what they're planning on doing. I have seen every AEW show so far, although there have been a few matches I couldn't sit through so I hit FF.  And who knows, maybe they will be wildly successful. They have been so far.  What remains to be seen is if they can attract and maintain a large audience with the roster they have, presenting the style of wrestling they have. There is no doubt there is an audience for the Marko Stunt and Orange Cassidy types, but you know that is going to turn off a lot of "traditional" or old school fans. I don't know if it will appeal to new or returning fans or keep them hooked.  They seem to be inclined to try and offer a little bit of everything (hardcore, lucha, comedy, old school) all at once.  I don't know what the mix is going to be on TV.  Based on the roster they have right now, they sure look like they're going heavy into the goofy stuff, but it's way too soon to say.  For every Jon Moxley you have two comedy guys.

We need to see who else they sign, and how they use the guys they have signed. We need to see how good the booking is week to week, and how they balance their TV.  If I am going to get stuff like Cody vs. Dustin (or hell, even Cody vs. Darby Allin) I can either sit through or change the channel during the comedy and goofy crap.  But if the show is heavily balanced with the goofy stuff, then I don't really want to watch.  I am legit curious to see if other people will. I have never once said I don't want AEW to succeed or I don't think they will. Like Cornette says: "For people who like that kind of thing, this is the kind of thing those people will like."  The million dollar question still is will people like it once the novelty wears off.

The other major factor is how much people will automatically flock to AEW just because it isn't WWE and they're tired of having their intelligence insulted and want to make a statement. I don't for a minute discount how much that will factor into things.  If you offer somebody who is dying of thirst a drink, they take it no matter what it is.

It is fine if you don't want to watch AEW. And as we watch, we can all discuss what we're enjoying and what we're not. It's the people who say "they will fail if..." and then add the thing they don't like about AEW's presentation is incredibly, incredibly stupid. It's a way to make your personal preferences seem important.

The Elite have succeeded so far doing things their way, mixing comedy and drama. They're smart. I would trust them over the people on a message board. And if they fail, it will probably be for a myriad of reasons that aren't just "no one liked the Librarians." 

13 hours ago, joeg said:

As for the Janela Enzo thing, I honestly think Janela should have been let go over that. Not that he got into a drunken fight. I want wrestlers who have a gimmick as being a wild crazy guy to be getting into drunken fights, makes the whole thing more believable. Janela is supposed to be this wild crazy guy who was a jueville delinquent and credits wrestling for turning his life around. The one thing I liked about Janela was that he was somebody I honestly bought into his character and his schtick. That fight just made him look like such a pussy that is completely unable to handle himself. It shatters the image I had of him as this bad dude.  

Joey Janela isn't a "bad dude." He's a lovable nerd who'll do anything to be like his heroes.

1 hour ago, GSR said:

Anyone know when the Briscoe Brothers ROH deals finish?

Hopefully never, because the last thing AEW needs is a homophobic redneck liability like Jay Briscoe.

Oh, but "they're good at the rasslin'," so all will be forgiven.

To me, signing older indie acts is something that should be done sparingly - and there are already enough others on the roster who fill that quota (SCU, etc.). The only older indie types who should be brought in at this point are the ones who can move the needle and generate positive publicity and buzz, and that ain't these guys.

AEW has the right idea going after youngsters like Jungle Boy, MJF, and other "blue chipper" types who seem new and fresh, don't have baggage, and can be built up as homegrown AEW stars.

There are those again who'll say that Cody & AEW should stop poking the bear in Vince & WWE and focus on putting on a great show for their TV debut and such. But when you have somebody like Cody who believes so passionately in how he envisions AEW, I don't blame him to take the bull by the horns and call out Vince the way he does.

It's a weird dichotomy too. You have wrestling fans that on one hand will talk about AEW negatively due to some of the things they say about WWE but then turn a blind eye when WWE says negative things about AEW. Vince calling them "blood & guts" or Triple H calling them a "piss ant company" gets overlooked if it doesn't fit the narrative. Granted those throwaway comments aren't as big of a scene as Cody on PPV literally using a sledgehammer to smash the throne but, it is what it is. I also think them addressing it & embracing it was a good move. 

You also have the fans that will lambaste everything WWE does & complain about no competition. Then as soon as potential competition pops up, they channel all of their energy into badmouthing the new company (in this case AEW) as being bush league or whatever. The talking point was "they're just a T-shirt company" for a long time. That seems to have died down now. Now I see that it's shifting into the roster being too small or them not having anyone that looks like a star or whatever. 

I was guilty of it myself, when I had basically dismissed Shawn Spears. AEW thus far have done a good job of making me eat my words. The pairing with Tully & the vignettes have been exceptionally well done. To the point that it is one of the matches that I am most looking forward to at All Out.

Cody Rhodes himself has turned into quite the entertainer. His ring work & promo skills have both vastly improved & on top of that, he also carries himself extremely well. 

On 8/1/2019 at 12:41 AM, sek69 said:

I've said it before, but there is a larger amount of folks out there who are wrestling fans that are not WWE fans.

To me that's the major point. And to some people, and I guess especially an entire generation raised during the WWE monopoly, it's not even fathomable. Well, sorry guys...

The funny thing about Cody on the mic is back in 2007, when he inducted Dusty into the hall of fame. After that speech everyone was saying how great he was on the mic, a natural you might say. :D

Then the WWE got there hooks into him and all that natural charisma on the mic went away. Funny when he leaves the WWE, everyone starts talking about how great he is again. 

In all fairness, I think that the fact AEW being a company that actually embraces wrestling history the way they do really helps in getting those fans back, who had withdrawn from wrestling altogether when WCW and ECW died. We talk about the challenge of AEW having to expand their fanbase with casual fans and such; getting a stranglehold on disgruntled fans missing the days of WWE having competition in WCW and ECW will also be key for them. And so far, so good!