Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 07/08 - 07/14 Copa America was a romp and a half but the National Team still sucks

KawadaSmile

The biggest issue is that Cedric unmasking after losing makes no sense. At least give him the opportunity for the pop (or silence) before getting his ass kicked.

The idea of having him in the main event and act on the behalf of less favored ones is nice, but man was the execution bad

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To top it all off, Alexander got pinned clean and needed Roman to rescue him from a post-match beatdown. They managed to completely botch a timeless wrestling trope (babyface wears a disguise to get one over on the heels) in both conception and execution. I genuinely wonder if this company is capable of doing anything right.

Yes masked babyface gets one over on the heel is still an awesome pro wrestling staple.  That's where I completely disagree with Russo. Whatever that was that they did last night? Well that sucked.

and again Roman being involved in this did him no favors.  He's coming across as just another guy on these shows

5 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

I haven't been watching but I'm curious about the "no wrestling during commercial breaks" thing and the reaction it has gotten.

I know it's not the same but I wonder if the fans that have been wanting the return of squash matches and less marquee matchups on free TV to save them for big shows and build shit up on RAW/SD also hate this new format.

I definitely hate the "no wrestling during commercial breaks" thing. I feel it's stupid. NASCAR doesn't have their cars stop in the middle of a commercial break so Vince's logic about that is stupid.

Personally, the ideal balance would be some squash matches sometimes and having some marquee matches on TV as well every now and then. If Paul Heyman has been able to book a feud between Taz and Shane Douglas without them even wrestling each other for a full year, I think that WWE can book feuds where they can have minimal interactions between PPV opponents. I like to believe that it's hard to have midcarders climb up the card if they don't have the opportunity to showcase their talent. Seems like Heyman has already gotten that.

2 hours ago, SirEdger said:

I definitely hate the "no wrestling during commercial breaks" thing. I feel it's stupid. NASCAR doesn't have their cars stop in the middle of a commercial break so Vince's logic about that is stupid.

Personally, the ideal balance would be some squash matches sometimes and having some marquee matches on TV as well every now and then. If Paul Heyman has been able to book a feud between Taz and Shane Douglas without them even wrestling each other for a full year, I think that WWE can book feuds where they can have minimal interactions between PPV opponents. I like to believe that it's hard to have midcarders climb up the card if they don't have the opportunity to showcase their talent. Seems like Heyman has already gotten that.

One of the most draining things about WWE TV that doesn't get mentioned enough is that most people just interact with the ones they're feuding with every week, so you're completely bored and worn down by the pairings. Why can't Reigns do a fun 6 minute match with someone lower on the pecking order that he hasn't worked with before and then do a promo on Shane afterwards? Instead we get variations on the same tag matches forever.

Exactly what I meant when I talked about giving midcarders exposure. And that's been one of my main issues with WWE for years now; it's been even more emphasized by the brand split, which was supposed to give more exposure to more talents but in the end, it's always the same people put forward on TV and when someone gets over despite WWE's booking machine, they just nip the bud with their push. I definitely cringed to see Cedric Alexander being pinned by Shane McMahon last night but at least, it was nice to see him featured in the main event slot.

4 minutes ago, Strummer said:

WWE will be running tv at MSG in September for the first time since 2009

Nothing like having smaller companies running a place that is supposedly too expensive for WWE to tape TV in to serve as a swift kick in the pants.

I'm also on the side of hating the no wrestling during breaks thing. It feels ridiculously forced rather than the organic nature of just letting matches go as they go. If last night is any indication, I'll get sick of 1 minute squash matches quick and definitely prefer the variety of longer matches we've gotten over the past 5 years.

Cedric Alexander is pretty damn boring in general with zero charisma, so I don't think that was going to get any type of reaction no matter which way they went. It is amusing though, considering they did the masked thing just this year, and did it *perfectly*, with Angle & Corbin.

I wonder if it is going to be similar to his ring of Honor singles time after the El Generico feud where he was definitely a heel but his bigger enemies are people who aren't very popular like Cornette and Eddie Edwards and others.

He really needs a face run.  The crowd really doesn't hate him no matter how hard they try.   The problem is I just don't see it being long enough to make an impact

No wrestling during commercial breaks wouldn't be nearly as bad if they didn't have such convoluted reasons to stretch matches out.  Just make Raw into Gringo CMLL and have everything be 2 out of 3 falls. It would actually differentiate the brands for once and they wouldn't have to come up with an excuse to interrupt every match. 

9 hours ago, SirEdger said:

That killed the Becky/Rhonda feud and killed Becky in general. They felt they needed to do something so we got Becky injured which fans didn't want to see. They could have just interacted less. 

Man, the whole Bayley/Nikki/Alexa feud is a mess. Nikki is basically a babyface people want to get behind even though she hasn't officially turned yet, like Rick Steiner before he turned on the Varsity Club,  Bayley is supposed to be the babyface since what she's saying (Alexa is using Nikki) is correct, but she's been acting like an asshole the whole time. Alexa is the only one who's actually been portrayed as her character is supposed to be.

It's really stunning how apparent it is how completely incapable they are to create storylines for the women. I mean, they have a hard enough problem writing for the men, but they come off as completely out to  lunch with the women. 

29 minutes ago, El-P said:

Reading the comments on this thread, is this the shortest post-reboot honeymoon ever ? I mean, jeez...

I get the sense that the reboot hasn't happened yet. Last Monday was more of a teaser for what will come after the real transition, and we haven't even had a teaser for Smackdown.