Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 09/30 - 10/6 Posting quickly to avoid politics-inspired subtitles

KawadaSmile

2 hours ago, FMKK said:

Or just gave him the fucking title all the way back in 2015 when they wanted to in the first place instead of second guessing themselves over and over and wasting 3 years of booking.

This will always infuriate me. That, and the 2nd Lesnar WM match.

Imagine watching those two matches plus the Rollins/Lesnar ones and thinking big brained geniuses said "hey they are showing Roman down our throats booooo". I'm never getting over that.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is absolutely better than Rollins. Rollins is terrible as a main eventer. He is probably the best wrestler they have on the roster. However, he is also in the era where the WWE brand is basically the only draw. Not only does that restrict the growth of the wrestlers, but it is doubly draining when the WWE brass and management are always pushed as the bad guys, and heat almost always goes on the promotion and not individuals. 

23 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Also, you never see Roman Reigns get into Twitter arguments with fans, which what a true professional in a locker room never does. Sometimes, it's like Seth Rollins is asking for that.

This. Even if Rollins was a draw of some sort, he's been exposed as a thin skinned weenie online and that's never going to be a look for someone wanting to be the face of the company.

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

What a uniquely frustrating hill to choose to die on.

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

No more so than Big John Studd.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Man, I wish I had the time to even take a flesh wound on that one.

I feel like I'm missing some context here.

At first I assumed he was responding to my Mauro posts, but maybe not?

Big John Studd?

8 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I feel like I'm missing some context here.

At first I assumed he was responding to my Mauro posts, but maybe not?

Big John Studd?

I think Studd was a cleverly dissonant (in part because of his size relative to his actions) stalling/stooging heel, who while not having a perfect game, in part due to the fact he was too reliant on relatively boring holds during his control sequences, is about 40% underrated/underlooked due to workrate primacy, which really speaks to the larger issue, so he's kind of a microcosm, and a useful one because he's so looked down upon by conventional wisdom, when almost no one seems to have ever documented an appreciation for the things he was actually quite good at.

Mr. Logic, being the aggravatingly acerbic and lightning sharp enemy of double-standards and hypocrisy that he is, was quick to point out that your championing of Mauro is probably more topical and relevant and less odd than me making the specific case I do for Studd whenever I have any new inputs or whenever he comes up. 

15 minutes ago, C.S. said:

If WWE ever puts out a "Best of Big John Studd" DVD, wouldn't it be super if Mauro could do voiceover commentary for the matches? :wub:

I'm not actually sure we could get Mauro to show the proper enthusiasm because of the conventional wisdom.

29 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

And you thought me saying Corbin is better than Rusev was an all-time bad take, huh?

A worse take than my joke post about Mauro commentating a Big John Studd DVD that has a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting produced.

I do think Corbin has potential though, and could eventually become a late- bloomer Mark Henry-type good worker. Time will tell. People forget how "young" he still is, experience-wise.

For those complaining about Brock/Kofi, lemme ask a serious question-

Wasn't it widely assumed, once the match was booked, that it would be the end of the line for Kofi's title reign?

I mean everyone would agree that in canon Brock Lesnar is quite a few levels above Kofi, right?

Didn't everyone cheer or pop when Brock squashed Cena at Summerslam? Or Brock himself being squashed in like a minute with like three moves by a 50 year old Bill Goldberg? Feels like because of their history with race relations, they don't get the benefit of doubt for that booking. I don't blame anyone for it but from this angle, the complaints seem kinda hypocritical to me.

17 minutes ago, Slasher said:

For those complaining about Brock/Kofi, lemme ask a serious question-

Wasn't it widely assumed, once the match was booked, that it would be the end of the line for Kofi's title reign?

I mean everyone would agree that in canon Brock Lesnar is quite a few levels above Kofi, right?

Didn't everyone cheer or pop when Brock squashed Cena at Summerslam? Or Brock himself being squashed in like a minute with like three moves by a 50 year old Bill Goldberg? Feels like because of their history with race relations, they don't get the benefit of doubt for that booking. I don't blame anyone for it but from this angle, the complaints seem kinda hypocritical to me.

Yes everyone assumed Brock was going to win, and no one was expecting it to be a 45 minute WWE Epic Main Event style match, but having Kofi get zero offense and lose in seconds was a slap in the face to anyone who got invested in his chase for the title. It just felt like WWE was telling anyone who got hyped for Kofimania that they were silly to think a leopard would change their spots. It was the same thing that happens every time Vince gets talked into something he doesn't normally do (ie: put the title on someone smaller like Kofi, Rey, or Bryan), he has to over correct by having them get squashed by a big guy.

As far as them not getting the benefit of the doubt due to their race history, don't forget the run up to Kofi winning had him saying to Vince that "people like us" don't headline Wrestlemania. They backed off it somewhat, but a big part of it was the implication WWE would not want and/or put up roadblocks for a black guy getting a title shot let alone be champion. Having his reign end in seconds to the big jacked up white guy seems like they are ending that chapter by saying "see, we told you so". Now to be fair, I doubt anyone in WWE ever thought it could be interpreted that way, but that's kind of the whole problem.

TL;DR  yes it was time to move past Kofi as champ, I don't think anyone would disagree with that. WWE just did it in the most ham fisted and thoughless way possible.

Could Kofi have gotten in some offense? Sure but everyone was saying Kofi's time had come to an end, that his reign was a nothing one that is begging to be ended by this point. Everyone expected Brock to win. Realistically I don't think it would have mattered because now that he doesn't have the belt, I doubt Kofi is going to be a main eventer permanently moving forward. So you have this guy about to return to the upper midcard/tag team picture. And you are building to a major Brock angle with the Cain Velasquez stuff. I think in a vacuum this was the right move to make. But it is just the race stuff that people seem to be latching on to reject the plan WWE had, even though in reality they wanted the WWE to move on from Kofi anyways. Well now they did. So move on.