Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite Week 1

FMKK

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Kevin Smith sucks ass, dudes. Clerks is dope, though.

What?!

For the record, I've enjoyed Kevin Smith's movies (well, not all of them) more than I've ever enjoyed an Asuka or Pac match. *Shrug*

Truthfully, even something like Jersey Girl (which I have a soft spot for but has its detractors) was better than 99% of WWE programming has been over the past five years.

8 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Truthfully, even something like Jersey Girl (which I have a soft spot for but has its detractors) was better than 99% of WWE programming has been over the past five years.

Jersey Girl being a decent enough movie that had the bad luck to come out at the exact moment everyone officially was sick of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez is a hill I will die on.

His worst movie in retrospect was Chasing Amy and he's even admitted that "lesbians just need the right dick to come along" was a bad take. 

To get back to AEW related matters, I have to say the show was pretty much what I hoped it would be. It wasn't perfect, but it was what they needed for a first show running up against stacked competition. Great action, hot crowd (kind of sad how weird it seemed seeing a crowd up for every match), even the commentary was solid. I agree with the idea that it seemed that Tony was the missing piece in the announce team, having someone familiar for JR to work off of helped both of them and Excalibur was again excellent as the play by play guy. 

They set up a lot of storylines, introduced someone new, and dare I say it was New Japan-like how you can see where things are headed and are excited to see it happen.

I don't blame anyone who wasn't pumped to see Jake Hager, but I admit I'm intrigued to see what he can do in a company aiming for more of a real sports build.

I was pretty thrilled about tonight's show and overall, I can't say that I was disappointed by what I saw from a wrestling standpoint as I thought every segment and match in the show delivered what they were supposed to do. They've got to work out some kinks when it comes to production but considering that this was their first live TV, I can't fault them for the hiccups. Like everyone, I was really happy to see Tony Schiavone back at commentary on a TNT show and it felt to me like he was genuinely more enthusiastic than he usually is with Rich Bocchini in MLW.

Easy to make the comparison between the first Nitro and Dynamite tonight with the "Lex Luger Moment" but I don't really see any issue with how they booked Jake Hager tonight. Fully expecting him to be pretty much Chris Jericho's goon in his new stable and I think it's the best fit for him. You don't have to push him to the moon but you can make him relevant enough to book him in important matches.

I know I might be late on this but about the Riho/Nyla Rose match...they talked about how Riho is 22 and she's started wrestling at 9....With how they plugged Kenny Omega training her for the match and everything.....was she the little girl that Kenny wrestled in DDT years ago?

5 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Khali was more iconic. Not a good wrestler, but has a charm to him that Swagger simply does not.

Alberto would be a better choice tbh

Alberto is a coked up mess though. And definitely seems himself as a much bigger star than he is, so there's no way he'd be in as Jericho's lacky.

5 hours ago, SirEdger said:

I know I might be late on this but about the Riho/Nyla Rose match...they talked about how Riho is 22 and she's started wrestling at 9....With how they plugged Kenny Omega training her for the match and everything.....was she the little girl that Kenny wrestled in DDT years ago?

No, that was a girl named Haruka. She apparently left the business shortly after the Omega match.

One little thing that they did right with Hager was to have JR refer to him as an undefeated MMA fighter from Bellator instead of a former WWE guy.  

Also, I was very happy to see Dustin.  I hadn't heard if he was sticking around or not, so it was nice to see him.  

Really good show, flew by and never really dragged (and I started watching at 10:45 PM because I had other things to attend to). Hager for the "big moment" was a little weak but in the henchman role he should work (I'd be pretty into him and Dustin going 10 minutes, ya know?) and Mox just destroying Kenny with that DDT through the table was cool - note that they didn't slow down and just focus on an unconscious Kenny for 10 minutes, they went back to the match and kept the show moving.

I'm hoping there's a little more promo time next week (although in part tonight's show did a good job of setting up the heat that gives the guys promo material). I also don't see Cody getting the belt, but I'd be into it. Just feels like they want to squeeze some more juice out of Jericho's arrogant champ character for a bit, and I don't blame them.

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

Jersey Girl being a decent enough movie that had the bad luck to come out at the exact moment everyone officially was sick of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez is a hill I will die on.

Agreed, and the irony is, I forgot J-Lo was even in the movie. Either her scenes were severely cut because of the backlash at the time or it was always intended to be the twist that she wasn't in the movie for long.

Anyway, AEW...

I caught some of NXT - Adam Cole vs. Riddle (which was good), the Finn return, and the Ciampa comeback - and AEW felt like the fresher, hipper, more interesting show to me. Not necessarily fair to compare, of course, when I didn't watch the entirety of the NXT show. But still...

Either way, this is a great time to be a wrestling fan.

1 hour ago, Migs said:

Really good show, flew by and never really dragged (and I started watching at 10:45 PM because I had other things to attend to). Hager for the "big moment" was a little weak but in the henchman role he should work (I'd be pretty into him and Dustin going 10 minutes, ya know?) and Mox just destroying Kenny with that DDT through the table was cool - note that they didn't slow down and just focus on an unconscious Kenny for 10 minutes, they went back to the match and kept the show moving.

I'm hoping there's a little more promo time next week (although in part tonight's show did a good job of setting up the heat that gives the guys promo material). I also don't see Cody getting the belt, but I'd be into it. Just feels like they want to squeeze some more juice out of Jericho's arrogant champ character for a bit, and I don't blame them.

I think most of us see that Cody will eventually beat Jericho for the title. My main concern right now is the timing. You don't want to cut Jericho's first reign too short but you also want the maximum effect for Cody to win the title. So it's gonna really be all about the right timing. I wouldn't be upset if Jericho retains at Full Gear but perhaps having him drop it at their next PPV (I assume in January or February) would be the best course to choose.

Jericho is supposedly facing Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom, and I doubt New Japan would put someone from AEW over one of their tippy-top guys. I also doubt AEW would be OK with their world champion losing a non-title match to someone outside the company. So unless AEW is planning on making Tanahashi their champion, I figure Jericho will drop the belt between now and January, most likely to Cody at Full Gear.

Having the AEW world champ in a featured match on Wrestle Kingdom in front of a large dome crowd wouldn't be the worst thing. Coming up short against an all time great wouldn't be damaging to the title either. 

Despite everything I said above I don't think they'd do it since they don't even recognize that Moxley is the IWGP US champ. 

1 hour ago, SirEdger said:

I think most of us see that Cody will eventually beat Jericho for the title. My main concern right now is the timing. You don't want to cut Jericho's first reign too short but you also want the maximum effect for Cody to win the title. So it's gonna really be all about the right timing. I wouldn't be upset if Jericho retains at Full Gear but perhaps having him drop it at their next PPV (I assume in January or February) would be the best course to choose.

Oh, if I'm picking the guy that unseats Jericho now, it's Kenny, not Cody. I think the goal here is to tell a fall and rise story with Omega that would culminate in him getting the belt (maybe at Double or Nothing). Doesn't mean they can't audible, of course.

I thought they pretty much knocked it out of the park, even if the Pac/Page match was a bit of a lull. Could have probably used another tag match in that spot to break things up a little bit. But, I thought they looked like a pretty big deal; great hot crowd, serious presentation, great, relaxed but informed commentary and a hot angle at the end of the show. I'm fine with Swagger coming in as part of Jericho's group, especially since I think the company needs a couple more hosses to break things up a bit. Luchasaurus/Swagger could be genuinely fun. Though, I do like how the PPV is probably going to have Swagger/Goldust which I'm pretty sure was a running feud on WWECW in 2008.

1 hour ago, Migs said:

Oh, if I'm picking the guy that unseats Jericho now, it's Kenny, not Cody. I think the goal here is to tell a fall and rise story with Omega that would culminate in him getting the belt (maybe at Double or Nothing). Doesn't mean they can't audible, of course.

I guess it comes down to when they pull the trigger on the title switch. Do you wanna benefit from a red hot Cody with the crowd or do you wanna take the time to tell that redemption story with Kenny Omega? I think it's only a matter of when Kenny will be the AEW Champion; I just don't know how long AEW plans to run with Chris Jericho as their champ.

5 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I guess it comes down to when they pull the trigger on the title switch. Do you wanna benefit from a red hot Cody with the crowd or do you wanna take the time to tell that redemption story with Kenny Omega? I think it's only a matter of when Kenny will be the AEW Champion; I just don't know how long AEW plans to run with Chris Jericho as their champ.

I think you can kinda do both. There's no problem with Cody getting the belt for a few months while the Kenny story is bubbling away and then running them against each other.