Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite Week 2 - 9th October 2019

FMKK

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was cool when Darby came down the ramp on the skateboard. I am surprised I have seen motocycles and beer trucks on the ramp, but don't remember seeing a skateboard before as it seems like such a cheap idea. Perhaps there are not many wrestlers who are also skaters. Also I am thinking I might stop watching Raw and just watch this each week instead. It is an hour shorter and feels a lot more exciting. 

9 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I thought it was cool when Darby came down the ramp on the skateboard. I am surprised I have seen motocycles and beer trucks on the ramp, but don't remember seeing a skateboard before as it seems like such a cheap idea. Perhaps there are not many wrestlers who are also skaters. Also I am thinking I might stop watching Raw and just watch this each week instead. It is an hour shorter and feels a lot more exciting. 

This gif gets reposted on Twitter a lot 

So is it official that the Jericho/Allin match this week has been changed to a "Street Fight?"  I'm still looking forward to it, but that news is a bit disappointing to me, I'd rather have seen them in a traditional wrestling match.  That match with Cody proved to me that Allin can work great in a normal match. I have enjoyed watching Allin work his spots into the structure of a match, I am worried that in a Street Fight it will end up just being a same old garbage match. 

The street fight allows for more crazy Allin bumping which is another thing that will get him over. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a missed Coffin Drop through a table or something to get over that Foley style of taking massive punishment and continuing to move forward. I really hope they have something lined up for him after this brief little exposure. Guevara seems an obvious choice but I’m not sure either should be losing much atm.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Give Dr. Baker some time, she hasn't really had the opportunity to sink her teeth into her character yet.

What's there to flesh out? She's a dentist. That's it. That's her character. And it's a lousy one because like I said earlier in the thread, who actually likes dentists? And if her commentary during the Riho/Nyla match is any indication, she's a total black hole of charisma.

39 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

What's there to flesh out? She's a dentist. That's it. That's her character. And it's a lousy one because like I said earlier in the thread, who actually likes dentists? And if her commentary during the Riho/Nyla match is any indication, she's a total black hole of charisma.

I can't believe you gave a serious reply to "give her time to sink in her teeth into her character"...

27 minutes ago, C.S. said:

And like I said earlier in the thread, I do. ;) 

Yeah, me too. 

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I am glad people are finally seeing Baker for who she is. There is no way I look at the AEW roster of women and think that Baker should be on the posters or anywhere near the forefront. She has shown no charisma and this dentist stuff has already hit the "is killer spelled backwards" territory. If someone gets super excited about seeing her passable work, good on them. Me, I see a vanilla women being pushed for "reasons". Those reasons? Not quite sure.

The reasons are because it’s P.C. to do so right now. There’s honestly not a lot of other options on the roster. Especially after Kylie Rae left. But they HAVE to make the women IMMEDIATELY. At least that seems to be their thinking. That & I think Kenny’s love of Joshi.

Why does AEW even have a women’s division at all? They have like six total women on the roster. I’m not against women's wrestling or AEW pushing women or anything like that... but create the division when your roster calls for it, not before. It’s part of the reason why I disliked the initial women’s title match: your inaugural champion is either Riho or Nyla Rose? Just felt off.

It’s the same shit with WWE having the women main event Wrestlemania or more recently, Becky Lynch being the first pick in the brand draft. It’s just artificial, force fed lip service. That’s why it comes off as disingenuous instead of feeling like cool, special moments. It’s not organic.

I feel like if AEW acquired more women first & then debuted the belt after a few months it would have played out better. I mean, look at the PPVs so far. A lot of the women they have used so far like Awesome & Aja Kong aren’t even around.

Gotta say though, what has hurt the women the most up to this point, in my opinion, has been that it feels like Jim Ross is burying them verbally every time they’re on screen.

Here's the Women's Roster according to AllEliteWrestling.com:

Allie
Awesome Kong
Bea Priestley
Brandi Rhodes
Britt Baker
Emi Sakura
Hikaru Shida
Leva Bates
Nyla Rose
Penelope Ford
Riho
Sadie Gibbs
Yuka Sakazaki

The crowd was going bonkers for Riho vs Nyla Rose at the end on the first show. Hottest finish of the night probably.

Allie : excellent character, solid worker
Awesome Kong : name value, used to be awesome, literally
Bea Priestley : jury's out, looks really good but seems kinda reckless
Brandi Rhodes : great promo, great character, great manager, not so good in the ring
Britt Baker : jury's out, green but has potential
Emi Sakura : terrific veteran from what she showed
Hikaru Shida : awesome
Leva Bates : funny
Nyla Rose : green with tons of potential
Penelope Ford : does spectacular spots
Riho : really good and has underdog appeal
Sadie Gibbs : no idea
Yuka Sakazaki : jury's out, she looked really good thus far

That's a perfectly fine roster if you can't have anyone WWE big name nor the best IMPACT girls (Tessa, Taya, Dashwood). 

The introduction of BTE this week was nothing short of brillant. They not only shows that they are aware of the criticisms (basically why was there no DQ when Mox jumped on Omega the first week on Dynamite?), but they find a way to "explain"/make fun of it (aka themselves) while also shitting on the opposition. 

Also, I eagerly awaits for the day Bob Holly is gonna make that cameo. I mean, he has to.