Coffey

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Being a talented actor doesn't make you a scholar of history or literature. When someone with no scholarly standing dismisses the overwhelming academic consensus on tendentious grounds, the only appropriate response is mockery.

You and Jerome should start a podcast called Tendentious Grounds and Appropriate Mockery

On 11/9/2019 at 12:53 PM, C.S. said:

But seriously, there's something to be said for a tightly constructed TV match that tells a great story (multiple stories, in this case) a and doesn't overstay its welcome.

SO MUCH THIS.  I couldn't agree with @C.S. about this more.

I don't even know where or when this whole trend started, maybe it was the ridiculously melodramatic overdone "epic" Shawn Michaels/Undertaker Wrestlemania matches or maybe it was the bloated and self-indulgent Omega/Okada matches.  Somewhere in recent years, Pro Wrestling seems to have "evolved" to the point where you can't just have a fucking match anymore. Matches have to be long and drawn out with multiple false finishes.  I love the King's Road era of 90's AJPW and to be honest maybe they have to bear some of the blame here.  Maybe we have a generation of guys working in Pro Wrestling now who grew up watching Misawa/Kawada and are trying to make every goddamn match they're in a replica of 06/03/94.

I know this is going to be a "hot take" and of course as soon as I say this, El-P's butt will start to hurt so bad it will make him scream in agony...but look at this past week's AEW Dynamite as an example.  The opening match featured (C.S.'s personal favorite) Pac, vs. Trent Baretta.  Pac is unquestionably one of AEW's top heels and Baretta is one half of a Tag Team, and not even one of AEW's top teams.  They're a team that doesn't even have a winning record.  This was a mismatch. As soon as this match started, we all knew who was going to win.  You knew it.  I knew it.  The guy selling popcorn in the arena knew.  The purpose of this match was to put Pac over going into his PPV match with Adam Page.  It was a technically great match, but it went 12 damn minutes and Baretta kicked out of Pac's finish, for gawd's sake.  WTF? Would it really have hurt Baretta's character or his Tag Team to have him do a much quicker and more decisive job to Pac?  Would "Best Friends" really have been looked at any differently if Baretta hadn't kicked out of The Black Arrow?

And it's not just AEW who does it, WWE are just as bad.  I have been really enjoying NXT since they debuted on USA, but there as well, every freaking match has to be an overlong epic with nearfalls.  I have no doubt that has something to do with "Mr. Wrestlemania" himself being a producer in NXT.

That's one of the reasons I love NWA Power.  They slowed shit down and not every match has to be a damn overdrawn, overlong epic.  When you do that in a big Main Event match, it's dramatic.  When you do it in almost every freaking TV match, it's desensitizing and it's overkill and after a while it all feels the same.

24 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I know this is going to be a "hot take" and of course as soon as I say this, El-P's butt will start to hurt so bad it will make him scream in agony...

Hum... no. I don't give a flying fuck, really. But it would be nice if you didn't make everything so personal. Don't take your cues from Corny. You can love NWA Powerr and dislike the modern style all you want without referring to those whom you disagree with and go all "Awww, you people are gonna hate this soooo much." Really, no, I don't give a flying fuck. No really. I don't need validation from anyone as far as my tastes go. Hell, I've spend the last 5 years browsing through TNA 2002-2009, watching and loving Lucha Underground, which was watched and loved by at least a dozen people, and IMPACT has been my favourite promotion before AEW showed up, yeah, IMPACT, the promotion that drew less on Twitch than people opening boxes. I don't need anyone liking the same thing I like. I don't care about people disliking the stuff I like. You didn't enjoy PAC vs Trent from Dynamite ? Ok. Cool. 

Hey, I didn't even call TKK a Corny cosplayer on that one (ya know, trying to make something personal and polarizing the argument, because that's how things are done now), when I could have, really. So there...

Hell, I even agree with some of the points he makes (the kick out of the Black Arrow wasn't needed, especially when Trent did not actually kick out and the ref fucked up). I even said in my previous post I would rather watch that Aldis vs Storm match than some epic Mania WWE/Takeover match.

But hey, let's try and trigger (yeah, sorry) the AEW fanboy lol. :rolleyes: Kinda lame, really, but whatever... 

58 minutes ago, El-P said:

But hey, let's try and trigger (yeah, sorry) the AEW fanboy lol. :rolleyes: Kinda lame, really, but whatever... 

It's all good, Bubba. Keep being yourself. You're allowed to dislike NWA Power & like AEW if that's more your cup of tea. We're just breaking your balls.

48 minutes ago, Coffey said:

"Nobody cosplaying wrestling in this here match." - Jim Cornette

That just happened. Just now. :o

He said the same thing basically in the very first show, which honestly is why I went so hardcore with that notion, because it came off so ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Not sure if the show becoming self-aware is a positive or not. 

It was always self-aware as far as the presentation goes. And those commercials. Only Corny isn't aware of it apparently.

The difference between JR and Jim Cornette that I don't have the feeling JR really wants to be at commentary every week. With all the flack we gave Cornette lately for his comments, he's genuinely happy to be doing commentary for Powerrr every week. That goes a long way for me to look past someone's transgressions.

You know, I sure hope they actually have an actual story that makes sense of all the Aldis/Storm/Storm/Drake/Kamille/Latimer-Isaacs stuff, because at this point, it kinda looks to me like it's supposed to be some really intricate stuff while in reality they just throw a bunch of nonsense together with the pretense it's such a complex mystery and all. I dunno, intrigue is good, but at this point, there's no understandable story at all, people just interact and argue and don't talk and talk about people not talking... 

I did enjoy the main event though, Trevor Murdoch should wrestle there every week. And between brutalizing jobbers like a regular Kevin Sullivan and that MMA movie, Thunder Rosa looks legit like the biggest star apart from Aldis/Kamille. Lots of good promos again, including from Cabana.

Although two comedy/silly segments on a 46 mn shows is kinda ironic, considering Corny's stance about that stuff. Especially the ?Mark which is so, totally, absolutely self aware cheesy 80's shit cosplay (yep, it is). I guess it's better than Jocephus. Hope the Spiritual Advisor shows up, because that video is old after three weeks straight.

I wonder how the next set of tapings are gonna go, now that there has been hype for the product and Corny has gone completely insane in the meantime. Also, I wonder how many of these guys are actually signed and if the cast of this first set of tapings will change much or not.

Cosplay refers to a costumed performer portraying a specific character. No one is doing that here. They're doing that next week on Impact. 

Anyway, this reboot continues to be the easiest breeze of a watch and is always a lot of fun. Trevor Murdoch is maybe my favorite worker right now for the simple fact that no one else is doing that style...anywhere. The videos hyping ? Mark were everything I've ever wanted from wrestling and the audience sold the gimmick perfectly. The video game, Tony Falk's Wrestling Farm, it's all the stuff of dreams. Basically, I've wanted pro wrestling on Adult Swim for a long time. 

The actual meat and potatoes wrestling of the show I really really strong, too. Aldis is a credible champion and they've hooked me with the all story weaving. Eddie Kingston is just the absolute best promo. So yeah, anti-comedy video packages, a strong emphasis on promos, and very very little thought paid to go-go-go workrate wrestling. My favorite show right now by a country mile. 

6 hours ago, peachchaos said:

Cosplay refers to a costumed performer portraying a specific character.

Wow, thanks for the definition. I'm sure no one knew and used the term wrong all this time. 

Actually, the very first instance of the use of cosplay in pro-wrestling was in believe in reference to HHH "cosplaying" Ric Flair & Harley Race and the classic NWA style long match. In the mid 00's. I do think people knew what cosplay meant back then already. 

Of course it's not meant litteraly. Everyone knows what cosplay means. And everyone understands the meaning of how it's been used here and there.

6 hours ago, peachchaos said:

They're doing that next week on Impact. 

Yeah, and I totally look forward to Sami Callihan do Corny.

6 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

You're welcome. I understand you're using the term ironically and derogatorily. I just think it's stupid and the gimmick has been overexposed. 

As far as using the term derogatorily, well, it comes straight from Cornette, who has used it for a long time now to shit on the indy guys (some of which AEW employees on TNT now, outlaw mud show notwithstanding) he felt weren't "real wrestlers", whatever that meant. So, when he used it on the very first episode on NWA Powerr which had this absolutely, completely retro look and presentation, well, the irony was on himself, really.

10 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

I can't imagine looking forward to anything Sami Callihan does, more power to ya brother.

Ah, yeah, the old "you have awful taste" thingy. Well. I'm a Raven fan.