NWA Powerrr

Coffey

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I definitely liked the first week more than the second week but there was some good stuff this week too. I'm never going to give a flying fuck about Colt Cabana or Ken Anderson but at least it was short. That's probably one of the positives about the show, actually. Since it's only an hour long, nothing really starts to drag. I hope NWA doesn't start trying to do freakin' comedy...

It feels like the wrestling takes a backseat to the non-wrestling on NWA Power which I don't hate because they have some good talkers. I'm really digging Nick Aldis, James Storm & Eddie Kingston so far. 

Look forward to next week. 

Well, I'm gonna say some positives for a change. And not use *that* word.

The studio format allows people to actually behave like actual humans beings and interact a lot more "naturally" with the crowd (which does sounds directed though). I had never ever seen nor heard about Rick Starks, and he came off like a bigger star than anyone I've seen on the few NXT shows I've watched in the last few weeks. James Storm & Eli Drake also shine in this setting.

Now that I'm aware of what this show is gonna be, I can enjoy it at least for what it is. I did like Allysin Kay vs Ahsley Vox, which was a decent competitive squash. Now they have to find some actual women challengers. Starks vs Murdoch was a good little short match. Murdoch looks more than ever like his namesake (refrain from using that word). I wonder if CW Anderson is still working somewhere...

Apart from these two matches, I still find the actual pro-wrestling content to be on the very light side. Yes, it's easy to watch, but it's not extremely exciting nor even interesting from a work standpoint. At some point, they'll have to actually deliver something stronger to really get my interest.

Hearing Corny trying his best to put over Cabana while not throwing up was cute.

Homicide wearing a NWA Straight Outta Compton T-shirt was a nice touch in this context. 

Damien Sandow... well... ok... But Ken Anderson ? I mean, with the biggest names in this promotion being Nick Aldis, James Storm (whom I like), Ken Anderson, Eli Drake & Homicide, it kinda feels like "'member TNA ?"... That's the one other issue I have, no one is really exciting. ROH is dull as fuck, but they do have Rush, Bandido, PCO, Brody King...

The commercials are absolutely what the show isn't, that is playing on the 80's cheesiness exactly like Swinger's gimmick, and they are quite funny. If the entire show was based more on that aesthetic with kinda tongue-in-cheek humour, I would probably love it. This is what the first season of GLOW did, of sorts.

At this point, I'd expect for the Smashing Pumpkins next album to be straight up synthwave. Hey ! That's what I'm gonna call this promotion. Synthwave pro-wrestling. They needed Carpenter Brut to do the theme, not Dokken !

Ken Anderson showing up is genuinely enough to stop me watching so there's at least one segment I'm skipping every two weeks. Sandow is a far more enjoyable television presence than that joker will ever be.

Murdoch/Starks was a highlight, just to see that Trevor Murdoch has fully embraced his fat man status; I demand to see him deliver jiggly goodness every week. Starks was great on the mic and seemed fairly smooth in-ring too. The Tony Falks commercial was like a Tim and Eric sketch; they're by and away the funniest thing on any wrestling show. Laser focus and tremendous execution. Like said, I assume they're building toward a supershow so you'd hope there's some hot angles coming up once they've established everyone. Still, this is still a fun hour of wrestling, even if I'm not going to get my fix of good matches just yet.

And, I know this is Eddie Kingston's retirement year but it's an outright crime that the closest he got to a national run with Homicide was Impact, years after anyone was watching. A late-day Homicide run in AEW with Kingston as his mouthpiece would be so great.

I remember watching Ken Anderson in OVW back in the day and thinking he was going to be the next star to come out of there. I don't get the hate he seems to get from a lot of folks, he's not the greatest ever or anything but he's not as terrible as everyone makes him out to be. 

7 hours ago, Stiva said:

And, I know this is Eddie Kingston's retirement year but it's an outright crime that the closest he got to a national run with Homicide was Impact, years after anyone was watching. A late-day Homicide run in AEW with Kingston as his mouthpiece would be so great.

Good news!  A couple days ago, Kingston said he's going to keep going.  I agree that AEW should scoop him and Homicide up.  Eddie's an amazing fucking talent.  I'd love to see him on national tv.

Is there anyone that is more of a "why did people like him and how did he get so close to being a main eventer?" in hindsight than Ken Anderson/Mr. Kennedy?

I recall liking him in WWE, but I'll be damned if I can recall one memorable match, promo or "moment" that has stood the test of time. Maybe him getting brained with a chair by The Undertaker or giving his finisher to Hornswoggle off the ladder at Money in the Bank? The few times I revisited some WWE from that era my response to him though is always "why did we like that guy?"

I do remember him having oddball crazy in-ring chemistry with Kurt Angle in TNA and recall that being a good blood feud, but other than that, his TNA run seemed like a big pile of nothing in real time and an even bigger pile of nothing a few years removed. 

4 hours ago, Log said:

Good news!  A couple days ago, Kingston said he's going to keep going.  I agree that AEW should scoop him and Homicide up.  Eddie's an amazing fucking talent.  I'd love to see him on national tv.

That’s fantastic news! Plugging Kingston’s promos into their presentation would be so great.

6 hours ago, Log said:

Eddie Kingston's situation reminds me a bit of LuFisto's. This year was also supposed to be her final year because of everything she went through with her health in recent years as well as the frustration of being overlooked by major promotions but she also decided to keep going. I hope she'll get the same opportunity Kingston is having now, no matter the promotion.

My overall thoughts:

- The formatting of the show was very strange. I get the sense that the Aldis promo was originally slated to go first and the women's match was originally going to be the main event (the time limit was even announced as "TV time remaining"), until someone - Jim Cornette? - probably pointed out that people have spent 20 years tuning out of wrestling shows that begin with talk segments. But while all of the hype for the Aldis segment was effective (Aldis's parking lot interview expressing regret for what he said, etc), the promo ended up being a complete letdown in the end IMO. There was nothing controversial or interesting about it whatsoever. 

- Is it just me or were there lip sync issues with the promos this week? It drove me crazy.

- Also, is it just me or does the crowd noise drown out the commentators at times?

- I'm also happy to see Damien Sandow Aron Rex Idol Stevens, but I'm not sure about his Hollywood gimmick yet. Either it will be amazing or the worst shit ever - there's no middle ground.

- I liked Rick Starks in the ring and was surprised to see Trevor Murdoch take the L, but I think you are all going a little too gaga for Starks' promo, which felt like a performer cosplaying (there's that word again) what he thinks a wrestling promo is supposed to be instead of a genuine human being eliciting a genuine emotional reaction. I wasn't convinced at all. But he's still young, and he clearly has a knack for the gift of gab, so I think he'll do well in the long run.

- The goofy-as-fuck promo styles of Colt Cabana and Mr. Anderson...Anderson did not work for me at all in this context. Cornette was wrong when he said "funny don't equal money." The Rock disproves that almost singlehandedly. But Rock as a comic would sell out Madison Square Garden - Colt would be playing in half-empty dive clubs to a bunch of drunks. (Hmm, on second thought, that analogy describes both of their wrestling careers perfectly!) BTW, in the Colt/Anderson match, who else loved that one jobber with the weird hair and colorful patches all over his gear? I would've had that guy get the upset instead of Rick Starks. :)

- The women were the shits. How is WWE so far ahead of everyone else in NA in this dept.? Even AEW is lagging behind.

- The tag match main event was what it was - obviously a way to set up feuds - so that's fine. The champs and the leather daddy team both feel really "indie" though. But Eddie Kingston has a unique charisma that I can't quite put my finger on.

All in all, I liked last week's show much more, but I am still digging this in general. The NWA has quietly assembled a very interesting roster.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, Coffey said:

Well, I definitely liked the first week more than the second week but there was some good stuff this week too. I'm never going to give a flying fuck about Colt Cabana or Ken Anderson but at least it was short. That's probably one of the positives about the show, actually. Since it's only an hour long, nothing really starts to drag. I hope NWA doesn't start trying to do freakin' comedy...

Exactly how I feel. This week's show was much more of a mixed bag, but because it's so short, bad matches/segments are over quickly enough. That helps so much.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, clintthecrippler said:

Is there anyone that is more of a "why did people like him and how did he get so close to being a main eventer?" in hindsight than Ken Anderson/Mr. Kennedy?

I recall liking him in WWE, but I'll be damned if I can recall one memorable match, promo or "moment" that has stood the test of time. 

I came in here to post this exact same thing about Mr. Anderson...Anderson.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, El-P said:

Hearing Corny trying his best to put over Cabana while not throwing up was cute. 

I thought he did a good job, openly acknowledging that he has "taken Colt Cabana to task" in the past, but Colt can "turn it on" when he wants to.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:35 AM, Log said:

I started drinking every time one of you typed "cosplay", then I got alcohol poisoning and now I'm dead.  Thanks alot.

Lol! I was waiting for a post like this. It was driving me batty. Get a thesaurus! :) Imitation is right there. Does Cornette actually know & use the term “cosplay”? In a weird way, that’s actually pretty hip of him.

I watched the first twenty minutes of the first episode because it seemed right up my alley. FUCKING ROCKIN WITH DOKKEN!!! I POPPED HUGE! Probably the biggest 80s metal band I have not seen live. "Into The Fire" is a badass jam but I would have went with something a little more uptempo, Ratt N Roll!

There's just something about a studio environment that just makes pro wrestling feel more like pro wrestling. I was born in 1989 so there's no nostalgia talking here. It just feels at home. Aldis doing his "Ric Flair" I think he even tried an American accent at the beginning felt a little off. He was more subdued than Naitch. But I did like him giving kudos to all his fellow champions and his upcoming challenger. I think it is a great way to give people the rub and introduce who the hell is on the roster. The Dawsons were a great squash. 

I have seen pictures of Eli Drake but never seen him in action. He definitely has cadence and conviction. Needs to work a little on the content, but man it was refreshing to hear that cadence of a real pro wrestling promo again. I liked the match he gave a lot to his opponent, who looked good. Loved the 1-2 punch of the opponent eating the feet on his high risk move and setting up Eli's finish. Eli calling out "the kids" and Corny heaping it on felt no different than JR's "This is the NWA! This is where we wrestle!". I think people made a whole lot of something out of nothing. They were just talking trash. 

I am going to stop here. I am wicked sick with this cold and need as much sleep as I can get. I dug it! I cant believe I am going to say this...there's way too much pro wrestling right now! :P

56 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I don't want to read any spoilers, so I don't want to look it up: can someone tell me how many episodes they taped at once? I'm curious when they're doing another taping & how many they do at once. 

I believe they did 8 episodes, two nights of 4.