NWA Powerrr

Coffey

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well MAME (arcade emulation) has been ported to every conceivable device out there, so you can play it pretty easily now.

Also I just picked up RetroMania Wrestling the other day too, it's funny to read the Steam reviews that largely praise the game for being like WrestleFest and one guy who was really pissed that it's a modern game that looks and plays like WrestleFest. 

32 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Well MAME (arcade emulation) has been ported to every conceivable device out there, so you can play it pretty easily now.

Also I just picked up RetroMania Wrestling the other day too, it's funny to read the Steam reviews that largely praise the game for being like WrestleFest and one guy who was really pissed that it's a modern game that looks and plays like WrestleFest. 

Reminds me a bit of the people who were mad when the first images of the AEW console game popped up a few months back because it looked and seemingly will play like WCW/NWO Revenge and No Mercy.

Gonna try to find a way to play WrestleFest in the next few days, just to give me an idea of how RetroMania Wrestling is like.

Someone on Facebook noticed that all of the NWA content has been moved over to FiteTV. Very odd decision, assuming it wasn't already on Fite before. You'd think YouTube would be the better destination of the two since it's far more easily accessible and widely used than the semi-obscure Fite.

I really hope there is some good news as while NWA clearly had its faults it still produced some really fun TV and I think there's still a place for a studio wrestling show in 2021. I really liked Joe Galli too - nice to have a proper broadcaster commentating rather than an insider.

As for Aldis and his insincerity, I found that half the fun for a tweener champion. He talks about respect and acts in all the right ways, but does just enough to not be completely likeable. It's an interesting dynamic for everyone else to play off.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

I know it's easy to bash the NWA and especially Billy (ask anyone in the music biz what their opinion of him is), but I dug the show and most what they did worked for me, I hope they land on their feet somewhere.

I loved the first season of NWA Powerrr. The Dokken theme song & the feel of the show, especially the mystique around Kamille & how good Tim Storm was as a babyface.

After their PPV & the start of season two, I felt like they lost their direction a bit. Even before the pandemic hit. Changing the theme song to Pantera & focusing too much on humor, like The Question Mark & Aron Stevens, instead of trying to keep that old NWA studio feel. It felt like a different show.

Also, a lot of the pro wrestler allegations came out & Marty Scurll was named which was a bad look for both ROH & NWA.

Sadly, I feel like that's the last I'll probably see of Tim Storm but I imagine a lot of the other talent will land on their feet elsewhere, like Thunder Rosa did, regardless of what the announcement turns out to be. 

As I said before:

On 2/27/2021 at 11:55 PM, C.S. said:

Someone on Facebook noticed that all of the NWA content has been moved over to FiteTV. Very odd decision, assuming it wasn't already on Fite before. You'd think YouTube would be the better destination of the two since it's far more easily accessible and widely used than the semi-obscure Fite.

Yeah, still not seeing the wisdom in this.

Unless Fite threw stupid money at the NWA to delete everything from YouTube and switch over, it makes zero sense to me. Going from a popular worldwide platform like YouTube to the semi-obscure Fite, which only attracts sweaty neckbeards, is as ass-backward as you can get.

4 minutes ago, C.S. said:

As I said before:

Yeah, still not seeing the wisdom in this.

Unless Fite threw stupid money at the NWA to delete everything from YouTube and switch over, it makes zero sense to me. Going from a popular worldwide platform like YouTube to the semi-obscure Fite, which only attracts sweaty neckbeards, is as ass-backward as you can get.

It probably wouldn't even need to be that much money, wrestling tends to get flagged as not advertiser friendly which makes it hard to make money at times. 

I'm just wondering who they will get to be on these shows, maybe AEW folks show up? I could see Tony being a homie and letting his people go there since the NWA has had their people on his show.

This aired tonight on IMPACT: 

We live in interesting times. NWA and AEW obviously worked together. But Corgan/NWA and Anthem Entertainment that own IMPACT don't really get a long.

But yeah the FITE deal doesn't seem too promising. Putting the product behind a paywall with no "shop window" seems unwise with so much Wrestling for free and better talent elsewhere. 

These are indeed fascinating times...

As far as the NWA goes, what is the NWA today ? Most of the talents who appeared on Powerr are gone, the good and interesting ones at least. Please, keep Aaron Stevens as far as possible from an AEW or IMPACT ring, thank you very much. Thunder Rosa is pretty much identified as AEW anyway, the day her contract runs up she should sign immediately after the time they put into her. Really, I see no one but Aldis & Kamille being of any interest to work AEW (I'm not into Tim Storm at all, sorry). 

BTW, the more things evolve, the more ROH looks like a promotion that got its death sentence at the MSG show in 2019.

As far as erasing the stuff from Youtube, yeah, it's a pretty bad move and also comes off a bit petty. People enjoyed watching it because it was free and easy to access. Also, one part of the charm, for better or worse, of Powerr was its studio setting and "old-scool" cosplay atmosphere with guys interacting more freely with the crowds during promos. Same stuff in an empty studio... not seeing it appealing to those who liked the first two seasons. Paying for this ? Nope.

The paywall thing seems ridiculous at first glance, but I also don't think its the worst idea to try and monetize the people who are super fans. It wasn't like Powerrr was convincing that many people to buy tickets or see a PPV. Maybe better to squeeze cash out of the people for whom the NWA is what they want from wrestling.

15 hours ago, Migs said:

The paywall thing seems ridiculous at first glance, but I also don't think its the worst idea to try and monetize the people who are super fans. It wasn't like Powerrr was convincing that many people to buy tickets or see a PPV. Maybe better to squeeze cash out of the people for whom the NWA is what they want from wrestling.

Maybe I'm just getting older maybe but in this age of Patreon people are more inclined to financially support a niche product they enjoy in some minimal manner. 

Edited to include maybe. I'm just spitballing, not making an assertion.

5 hours ago, Al said:

Maybe I'm just getting older maybe but in this age of Patreon people are more inclined to financially support a niche product they enjoy in some minimal manner. 

Edited to include maybe. I'm just spitballing, not making an assertion.

Right. Powerrr is kind of a cult thing, and what better way to monetize a cult favorite than to sell access to it? No clue if there's enough people to make this viable for Corgan, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I know the episodes of Powerrr have now resurfaced on Fite, and like everybody else has said, it remains to be seen if that's a good move - but by deleting all their YouTube content it also means all the excellent 10 pounds of gold videos have gone as well which is a shame as those videos were what got me into the NWA in the first place. On reflection though, a lot of them - and other video content they had - included clips from lots of different other companies - Impact/ROH/UWN/AEW(?) - and so wondering if that might have caused an issue? I've been a big fan of the NWA revival the past couple of years and the overall presentation, but what the hell is left really? 

:mellow: ...that's not a good look. For those that don't know, Britt McHenry sued Fox News over sexual harassment from Tyrus when they worked together as Co-Hosts & said she filed at least four different complaints.

I know a lot of names have come out but is it really that hard to just not bring in sexual pests in pro-wrestling?