Pro Wrestling Only
flyonthewall2983

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

What? :wacko:

Indeed. All of this is beyond idiotic, as the above, completely out-there remark shows. Like, WTF ? I call him Brucie because whatever. Sound kinda cool. Like Stephy actually, maybe because I used to be a fan of Steffi Graff way back then. Wanna call any Stephanie Stephy rather than Steph (which works in French as a diminutive for both genders). All this to say : WHAT THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE SMOKING EXACTLY ?

1 hour ago, delacroix said:

Saying that stuff to a guy can easily be taken as just a familiar, colloquial way of addressing them, but addressing a woman (that you don’t know and are usually criticizing, bt-dubs) with that kind infantilizing name can’t help but carry strong misogynistic baggage.

No. Because there's nothing infantilizing about it. It's just a thing I do with random names, whether I like the people or not (I love Chiggy, I don't care much for Goldy, I dislike Stephy etc...) I also don't actually speak to them, nor even address them on their social media by tagging them and using that formulation. I use it on a freaking pro-wrestling board. Close-circuit. 

And well, no. Because since there's nothing infantilizing about it, there's nothing misogynistic about it.

Also, denying intent in language is understanding jackshit about how it works, sorry to say. And I have a masters degree in research in langage science, so there, I don't deal in "I don't think that" opinions on the matter. Especially when the point comes from an obvious troll to begin with (which is where the "fake-ass virtue signaling" line comes from BTW). Choosing to chime in only for this is indeed a choice. Interesting hill to die on... Especially in the middle of the current context.

For fuck"s sake. :rolleyes:

(oh, and yes, Stephanie McMahon-Lesveque is a shameless human being, like her father. Ya know, Vinnie. Fuck both of them, to get back on tracks)

Ignorant racists in the UK will say “if people shorten British to Brits and Australians to Aussies then why can’t I call Pakistanis pakis?”

the arrogance of someone getting called out on their own ignorance and calling said person a “troll” because of their shitty misogyny and patronizingly demeaning a woman with an infantilizing nickname.

The trolling is to consistently post incessant repetitive boomer “hot takes” in the WWE forum about a promotion that they supposedly hate like it’s 1998 while fawning over the shittiest CrossFit to desperately appear relevant.

53 minutes ago, Cien Caras said:

Ignorant racists in the UK will say “if people shorten British to Brits and Australians to Aussies then why can’t I call Pakistanis pakis?”

Biiiiiiig stretch to go from this to decrying the usage of Stephy, Brucie, etc. though.

Context matters.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

All of this is beyond idiotic

[…]

All this to say : WHAT THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE SMOKING EXACTLY ?
[…]

No. 
[…]

And well, no.
[…]

Also, denying intent in language is understanding jackshit about how it works, sorry to say.

:huh:

I guess I can’t argue with this

13 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Biiiiiiig stretch to go from this to decrying the usage of Stephy, Brucie, etc. though.

Context matters.

Yes, context definitely matters hence the relevance of the example.

The thing I find hilarious about this whole discussion, is that from what I gather from reading other posts they have made, I think it is a pretty safe bet that both @C.S. and @El-P are pretty far to the left on the political spectrum. Never thought I’d see the day that I would see somebody accuse Jerome of misogyny.

Terrible taste in wrestling sure, but never this. :P

20 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

The thing I find hilarious about this whole discussion, is that from what I gather from reading other posts they have made, I think it is a pretty safe bet that both @C.S. and @El-P are pretty far to the left on the political spectrum. Never thought I’d see the day that I would see somebody accuse Jerome of misogyny.

To be clear, it’s not my intention to accuse anyone, as the motivations of an individual when choosing one word over another are almost impossible to pin down and, frankly, not terribly interesting to me. (I’m not sure what the end goal of that would be, in this context, anyway.)  I’m much more interested in focusing attention on larger questions about how we discuss this stuff, because it’s much more important (and, again, more interesting to me).

Edited by delacroix

This Vince news and discussion going to shit because of the word "Stephy" is internet board arguments 101, I guess PWO ain't exempt from them :lol:

It seems from every report I've seen so far, Vince is in full swinging dick alpha mode over this. History has shown when he gets like this we're about to see some completely bonkers shit soon.

2 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

The thing I find hilarious about this whole discussion, is that from what I gather from reading other posts they have made, I think it is a pretty safe bet that both @C.S. and @El-P are pretty far to the left on the political spectrum.

Speaking only for me, that is pretty spot on, not a mystery for anyone here really... But it's actually even funnier than this for anyone who knows me IRL. Considering the exchange I just had with a friend yesterday if I told him this he would literally die laughing at the absurdity. :lol: But anywoo, won't elaborate, enough time  and energy wasted already.

2 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Does that includes my love for FTR ? B)

Not what I expected when I clicked on the thread.

Anyway, Vince McMahon-Johnny Ace-Kevin Dunn is a sex ring and has been for 20 years.

There's a follow-up WSJ article coming.

2 hours ago, strobogo said:

You're all wrong. Goldy is for Goldust, not Goldberg. 

Next thing you'll tell me Oz is for Kevin Nash...

Meanwhile

Really ? That's next level.

I too frequently attend live Pro Wrestling events and hold up signs which are completely blank. I feel it adds to the aura of mystery which surrounds me.

13 hours ago, rovert said:

Not what I expected when I clicked on the thread.

Anyway, Vince McMahon-Johnny Ace-Kevin Dunn is a sex ring and has been for 20 years.

There's a follow-up WSJ article coming.

When's it coming out?

On 6/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, Cien Caras said:

the arrogance of someone getting called out on their own ignorance and calling said person a “troll” because of their shitty misogyny and patronizingly demeaning a woman with an infantilizing nickname.

The trolling is to consistently post incessant repetitive boomer “hot takes” in the WWE forum about a promotion that they supposedly hate like it’s 1998 while fawning over the shittiest CrossFit to desperately appear relevant.

That you can’t see how inapt that comparison is bespeaks that your “moral conviction” on this matter is just aesthetic.

5 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I expect plenty of "Stephanie loved me, but that son of a bitch Brother Love" on podcasts in the coming months.

Which would be weird because Bruce told them "I looooooooooove you".

In case you missed it, Vince settled the Oliver Luck lawsuit.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2022/06/20/Luck-McMahon-XFL.aspx

The terms weren't disclosed, but I'm willing to bet Luck made out like a bandit. It seems likely that Vince did whatever he had to do to make the lawsuit go away because testifying under oath, especially about his moral character, is the last thing he wants to do right now.

Yup, Luck hit the lottery having the Vince news break right when the lawsuit was going to hit the courts. I'm sure ol' Jerry just called him and asked how many zeros would suffice on the check.

Well, maybe between two shows in Saudi Arabia they can keep on "Influencing the world" in term of women's rights in Texas or Louisiana now. (I know, I know, PWO and all, but some days, it's like... just dystopian level shit... this is just so awful)

6 hours ago, El-P said:

Well, maybe between two shows in Saudi Arabia they can keep on "Influencing the world" in term of women's rights in Texas or Louisiana now. (I know, I know, PWO and all, but some days, it's like... just dystopian level shit... this is just so awful)

100%.  What a shit, fraudulent country I live in.  But hey, at least we can collect foreign currency.