Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, strobogo said:

How does WWE get Vice to stop airing MLW

From what's claimed in the lawsuit, a (now former) WWE Executive went to one of the higher ups at Vice and told them Vince McMahon would be pissed if they kept airing MLW programming, and the Vice exec's reply was "why should I care if Vince McMahon gets pissed and also that's pretty illegal what you just did".

This is not the first time WWE/Vince has been accused of doing this, just the first time the company that was targeted by it actually did something about it. Makes me wonder how much of the uphill battle other companies have to get TV clearance comes down to "the bosses at the station don't want to field psycho calls from WWE if we carry some other wrestling TV program".

Also its alleged that WWE pressured Fox to cancel the deal that was made for MLW to stream on Tubi (which is owned by Fox) the day before it was scheduled to be announced. 

You would think if MLW has any semblance of proof here they'd have WWE dead to rights, but we all know Jerry Mac works best when it seems his client's a goner. 

29 minutes ago, strobogo said:

So did Vice then stop airing MLW

I don't believe so, but that doesn't make what WWE (allegedly) did any less illegal because it didn't work. Plus it still creates the impression to Vice that continuing to work with MLW will be a headache-by proxy if that's what they have to put up with which is bullshit. It's just WWE clumsily trying to do old school carny ass nonsense and the only reason they haven't been bopped for it is most of the companies they do it to are to afraid/can't file a lawsuit. 

You would hope WWE would look at that chart and think there is something amiss with it being dominated with folks from 20+ years ago. To me that screams failure that of the current names on that list, Alexa's numbers are powered by creepy weirdo stans and the Usos are probably powered by getting a cut of the Bloodline shirts. So the only stars they've managed to create are Roman and Alexa's weird little girl enthusiasts. 

So you're saying that children are creepy, is that what you're saying? Because for a big chunk of those sales, those belong to parents who bought Alexa merch for their children, whether it's the Lilly doll or other stuff.

So if you thought they were veering away from it, to quote a certain current color commentator on NXT: "I'm afraid I've got bad news" for you.

18 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Oh I didn't expect them to veer away from it, if it makes money that's the only concern. 

My thoughts too unfortunately. As long as there is nostalgia for the characters they own the rights to from 20+ years ago there’s no reason to create anything new. That probably describes most pop culture these days. 

6 hours ago, SirEdger said:

So you're saying that children are creepy, is that what you're saying? Because for a big chunk of those sales, those belong to parents who bought Alexa merch for their children, whether it's the Lilly doll or other stuff.

So if you thought they were veering away from it, to quote a certain current color commentator on NXT: "I'm afraid I've got bad news" for you.

At the SuperShow we went to this past Summer , I saw at least three little girls dressed up as Alexa with the Lilly dolls.

I'm not even surprised to read that. I don't count the number of social media pictures I see every week of parents tagging Alexa with pictures of their children dressed like Alexa for a live event or just having her merch with them. It's even more impressive to me that the Lilly dolla actually accounts for half of her earnings alone.

Yeah, sinus surgery. I remember reading an interview where she explained that her issues with this began in her cheerleading days when she broke her nose and she had problems with it ever since. If anything, they did the Lilly angle with Charlotte at Extreme Rules by necessity, not because they wanted to.

Always fascinates me just how massive a box office draw Steve Austin is, 20 years after his run. He's barely been on TV for years too. He always pops a rating too, even when everyone knows he is going to come and do absolutely nothing but say 3:16 and whoopas and What a bunch of times. At this point I am willing to consider him the biggest, most enduring box office draw in WWE history, even more so than Hogan.