Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Loss said:

Not if the companies aren't running shows, which they may not be until 2021 or 2022 based on some recent projections.

They are already organizing to start running shows again. Does that mean they'll be spending money in August? No. But I'm pretty sure Rusev will get some really good gigs in 2021 at very least.

The Japanese companies met with the government today and made a case for pro wrestling to be the last thing they reopen. Add in that every company is probably losing money by the week right now and they may be too broke to hire anyone until they run shows for months to clear their debt. We're looking at a really long way back. A lot of marketable talent will suffer, sadly. I'm not saying for sure that Rusev is in that category as much as I'm saying the rules of the past don't apply anymore. I don't even think it's a lock that names like Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, or Rey Mysterio would immediately have work elsewhere in this climate.

12 minutes ago, Loss said:

The Japanese companies met with the government today and made a case for pro wrestling to be the last thing they reopen. Add in that every company is probably losing money by the week right now and they may be too broke to hire anyone until they run shows for months to clear their debt. We're looking at a really long way back. A lot of marketable talent will suffer, sadly. I'm not saying for sure that Rusev is in that category as much as I'm saying the rules of the past don't apply anymore. I don't even think it's a lock that names like Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, or Rey Mysterio would immediately have work elsewhere in this climate.

Had to look that one up because I read in the All Japan twitter feed the request to Hase was to allow activities to resume and to get compensation for the lost pay in the last month (as well as testing for every wrestler). Then Tana had that quote of puro being the last one to open to show Japanese entertainment was truly back. 

I don't disagree the landscape is different but I was just talking about the 1 case that as a fan I'm pretty excited about (whenever happens).

Yeah, I'm very cognisant of the times we're in and just how much everything is going to be shaken up and how many lives will be affected but it's also quite therapeutic to do a bit of fantasy booking in my head. It helps distract from the more depressing reality that's outside the window.

Duly noted. I too would love to see Rusev's potential without the shackles of WWE, because I think he has real promise as a top guy. A great worker with a lot of personality, and one whose calling I think is as a babyface with a certain charm. Hoping we don't have to wait long to see what he does next, even if I'm worried he'll be shut out.

Firing undercard talent en masse to maintain profit margins for Wall Street in the middle of a pandemic that has shut down every other form of sport and entertainment is in the top handful of scummiest things Vince has ever done, and think of the ground that covers. The only way I can imagine myself caring about anything this company does going forward is if the wrestlers finally get a clue and unionize.

Just now, NintendoLogic said:

Firing undercard talent en masse to maintain profit margins for Wall Street in the middle of a pandemic that has shut down every other form of sport and entertainment is in the top handful of scummiest things Vince has ever done, and think of the ground that covers. 

I don't even think it's the scummiest thing they've done THIS WEEK.

They just announced that during said pandemic they're going to continue carrying on with three live shows a week - that the talent has to work & risk their health, more so than usual.

You lump all the shit together that WWE has done, including the deal with Saudi Arabia & I can't see anyone feeling sorry for the brand, the company or the McMahon family. The people they employ, especially those losing their jobs today, for sure. 

That's without even getting into the hair of the damn Super PAC headed by Linda McMahon & Florida deeming WWE an "essential business" while money gets funneled into the state. 

Are the tests more widely available yet? If not, it would be hard to think of the WWE either taking up an abnormal amount of tests to administer weekly or however often for each single person that is involved with the shows OR the WWE doesn't actually adhere to the guidelines and/or allow for a disastrous outbreak in the company.

Either way, Roman Reigns needs to figure out how to proceed in his life choices if the WWE is going to ultimately fail him.

2 minutes ago, Slasher said:

Are the tests more widely available yet? If not, it would be hard to think of the WWE either taking up an abnormal amount of tests to administer weekly or however often for each single person that is involved with the shows OR the WWE doesn't actually adhere to the guidelines and/or allow for a disastrous outbreak in the company.

Either way, Roman Reigns needs to figure out how to proceed in his life choices if the WWE is going to ultimately fail him.

Yes and no. They have massively ramped up testing and continue to do so but that doesn't mean the tests would be readily available for WWE. It's kind of a matter of getting the antibody test though because so many people never develop symptoms.

He can play absolutely any role on the card, great heel, fun baby face, charismatic as fuck, and his ring work speaks for itself. 

Hope he gets what he deserves from AEW, and Lana leaves with him (wouldn't be surprised if them being happily married isn't part of him being released) 

Yes, let's not forget that at one point, regardless of what one thinks of his talent, Zack Ryder was one of the top 5 babyfaces on the roster and got over organically. There was money left on the table with him too. Wrestling fans have long memories and, not dissimilar to Luke Harper or Dean Ambrose, many fans view him as a guy who was "held down." There are a dozen guys one could name who either aped his gimmick in the past or are still aping it today. Plus, from the podcasts I've heard, he's well-liked by his peers. I wouldn't call him a "game-changer" at the level of Rusev, but Zack Ryder is definitely worthy of another look by AEW, Impact, etc.

Edit: And I'll throw Ember Moon and Sarah Logan onto that list of "should-be signed" talent. Solid in-ring skills, not at all overexposed, and unique looks...they're no-brainers for AEW if you ask me. Again, not game-changers, but you could do far worse in filling in your women's division plus because they were barely used on WWE TV, Logan and Moon don't feel at all like WWE castaways to me.