Pro Wrestling Only

Backlash 2020 - The one with the GREATEST MATCH EVER

KawadaSmile

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

I will say had they done this kind of match first then did whatever that Mania match was as a follow up, that match probably would have been way better recieved.

I dunno about that, you can't polish a turd. Their Mania match was one of the worst PPV matches that I've seen in years. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very good match but the bells and whistles are really distracting. Although it does seem like they have turned it off a little bit near the end.   It is like the restaurant that has really good food but the decorations and ambiance is so ridiculous that you have a hard time recommending the place

Bryan/Gulak from Elimination Chamber is still my WWE MOTY so far. But I'd say that Edge/Orton sits comfortably with Ripley/Charlotte, Bryan/Gulak and Gallagher/Lorcan as the top WWE matches post lockdown. 

Enjoyable show, much better than it had any right to be. 

Meltzer said on WOR that Edge hurt his triceps doing a retake of some spot they had already done. Modern Meltzer also tiptoes a lot around wrestlers using steroids than the Meltzer of 15 years ago. He kept using vague references to "training" before he mentioned that a triceps injury is typically from doing roids.

They got me to watch Orton/Edge purely because of the absurd name of the match. It was fine, not bad by any means, but nothing anyone needs to go out of their way to see.

Maybe it's not worse than their booking, and I know this isn't a new point, but this company's editing and camerawork makes it really difficult to watch a match. I really don't understand the thinking behind it. Is it just that a madman once thought his product should look like an action movie and he's never let go of it?

And while bodies in the crowd is better than literally no one, this company can't help but be weird about it. I don't know the exact differences to explain why AEW feels so natural about it in comparison, but it may be that the AEW wrestlers in the crowd seem like they are just hanging out. The NXT interns seem to be in designated spots, dressed in company shirts, all chanting 'this is awesome'. Cringey stuff. And I feel for anyone in the NXT crowd that eventually turns into a star and there will be video of them chanting 'fight forever' during a 2020 Edge match.

48 minutes ago, Cowboy Hats 4.0 said:

And I feel for anyone in the NXT crowd that eventually turns into a star and there will be video of them chanting 'fight forever' during a 2020 Edge match.

LOL!

Trying to compare it to being an unnamed extra in a segment, but yeah, acting like a goofball fan (as opposed to being one organically) is probably high up on the list of things you can mock on list of “before they were known” spots.

17 hours ago, EricR said:

I got a late start after driving back from visiting my sister, still thought I would watch the show and read along with you guys. 

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/06/wwe-backlash-running-quite-late-blog.html

Eric did a really beautiful write-up on the Orton/Edge match.  You all should definitely read it when you have time.

Watching Backlash now. Sheamus/Jeff felt like the typical, ordinary style of WWE match with the Big bruising heel working over the underdog babyface, as the babyface has the occasional hope spots. Sheamus working on top also made my attention span die off at times. That match was supposed to be hate filled, vicious, & intense based on the story leading up to it... I saw none of that hatred, viciousness, or intensity anywhere. So the match turnout did not fit the story. But it was good in the end. ***1/4

Asuka carried Nia Jax to a pretty good scrap with her bumping, selling, & comeback spots. Nia is nothing but a pretty face with a cool Mortal Kombat sounding name... she brings NOTHING to the table and deserves no title shots. She deserves to be sent back to development. I hope it's Asuka/Charlotte at SummerSlam with Asuka finally beating the WWE Female Final Boss, Charlotte Flair. Love the Asuka/Charlotte rivalry. ***

Bobby Lashley has found the one opponent  that he has chemistry with, the awesome Drew McIntyre. Scary botch with Drew landing on his head outside the ring early on, but these 2 click, and Lashley kept my attention. WWE mucked it up with the Lana nonsense. ***3/4

Orton/Edge coming up after I get through this goofy, unfunny Street Profits/Viking Raiders cinematic trash.