Pro Wrestling Only

Conrad Thompson set to expand his podcast schedule with new shows

On 2/14/2021 at 10:17 PM, Loss said:

That's not even true, though, at least not according to what has always been out there. It's a romantic story that has taken a life of its own, but people in JCP in the past have said the plan was for him to regain the U.S. title from Nikita Koloff at Starrcade. Flair was going to do a title vs career match with Ron Garvin in the main event, and 1987 would be Garvin basically doing a longer, serious version of the midcard fodder storyline he did as a WWF referee to build to his return.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:40 AM, sek69 said:

I never know what to believe with that story to be honest. I always got a sense that people never wanted to confirm those plans to avoid telling a guy who's career was cut short he was about to get the biggest win of his career, but it did seem on TV the program with NIkita wasn't ending any time soon.  

Then again, if the plan was Flair/Garvin why did that get changed to what ended up happening?  It sure looked like Nikita was being put into booking plans they already had set up with Magnum by making that the Starrcade match instead. Especially since he was literally put in the spot Magnum was teaming with Dusty.  It seems like it would have been better to do Nikita vs Ivan (or someone Ivan brought in) for betraying the Russians and still do Flair/Garvin.

Plus it seems that David Crockett would have knowledge of the plans, right? I know he wasn't directly involved in booking but surely he would know what was being discussed?

I have finally finished listening to Conrad's 3 Hour interview with Jim Crockett Jr., and yes the statement in question was made by Jim Crockett himself.  Conrad asks if the plan was for Magnum to go over Flair at Starrcade, and Crockett says it was the plan.  Conrad even talks about how Flair told him that he snuck into Magnum's hospital room after the accident (a big risk because Flair was a heel, Magnum was a face and JCP protected kayfabe) and gave him the World Title Belt to keep for a while, claiming "This was going to be yours soon."

Crockett claims that Dusty just slightly adjusted his booking plans and slid Nikita into the slot that was intended for Magnum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/28/2021 at 9:54 PM, SomethingSavage said:

I haven't enjoyed much of anything Conrad has done in awhile, but I've got to say - I don't mind the Kurt Angle pod one bit. It ain't half as bad as I heard some people make it out to be.

Kurt's not saying a lot of controversial shit or taking cheap shots, for sure. But hell. Compared to Bruce, he's spitting straight fire when he talks about how most of the modern product is devoid of characters or storylines. Doesn't hurt that it's true, too. (It's true.)

What I particularly enjoy about the first four episodes with Kurt is that Conrad is willing to slosh and shuffle his formula around a bit. It isn't just analyzing a month worth of shows and reading a bunch of paragraphs straight from the Torch or the Observer for hours on end.

It's actually closer to the original shows with Bruce, in that it's more conversational than "Conrad reads Meltzer, then host replies with brief statement, and repeat."

It's not a total subversion of the formula, but it is focusing on isolated periods and particular programs. I kind of dig it.

Plus Kurt's ad read for Chicken Snax is a more engaging promo than anything I've heard Seth Rollins say since 2014. Annnddd that's all I've got to say about that.

I second all that. Angle comes across as a decent guy in the first two episodes I’ve listened to. Looking forward to more. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

It's all Tony reminiscing about his favorite part of his career.

I'll second this. Granted, I'm not super up to date, but Tony's recollection of little details from the JCP era is real good, especially when compared to the Turner/WCW run. You can tell Tony really enjoys reliving JCP stuff. Since they started covering that era with a little more regularity, it seems like they've toned down all the toilet humor. That's not to say it's completely gone, but these eps definitely have a different vibe than a random 1999 WCW PPV.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't see a thread for Angle's pod but the one with Orton was great.  I'm an Orton fan, and he never does shit like this, so that alone had me hooked

That said, I've tried listened to some of the other shows and they were hard to get thru due to the clearly rehearsed nature of them.  I can understand that working for Angle, but I listen to a LOT of podcasts on all sorts of topics and that approach simply doesn't cut it for me if they want to make it into my already bloated rotation

Angle sounded so much more natural with Randy there to back and forth with rather than the pre-approved question and answer style him and Conrad seemed to be doing

@cm funk

I hadn't noticed the Angle podcasts being any different than Conrad's other ones. Do you think Angle's memory - from concussion issues - is really poor and he doesn't want that exposed by spontaneous conversation? 

Thinking about it now, he has lost his train of thought a few times.

9 hours ago, BigBadMick said:

@cm funk

I hadn't noticed the Angle podcasts being any different than Conrad's other ones. Do you think Angle's memory - from concussion issues - is really poor and he doesn't want that exposed by spontaneous conversation? 

Thinking about it now, he has lost his train of thought a few times.

That was my thought, yes.  That his memory isn't so great and he needs to prepare rather than shoot off the cuff, probably moreso than others.  It's understandable in his case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 8:28 AM, SomethingSavage said:

How do y'all feel about Conrad's recent style of just stealth bombing in the GEICO adverts? I think I might prefer it to the longer interruptions. They're quick and inoffensive, if not a little jarring right at first. He just sort of drops them in & gets right back to the conversation.

It depends. Sometimes it's the same exact ad copy repeatedly, and that gets quite tiresome. When the ad copy is varied, it's much more manageable.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm still enjoying Kurt Angle's show whenever I loop it back into my playlist. There's not a ton of insight of dirt there, but he comes across as very candid. It doesn't hurt that his shows average around the one hour mark, too. Easy, quick, and engaging listening for the most part.

Hearing Kurt gush over classic Blassie was tremendous.

The episode of his breakdown and initial departure from WWE is worth seeking out for anyone who wants to hear how the final meeting with Vince went.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Gertner said:

Again, Paul Bromwell makes these shows unlistenable.  My God.

I wouldn't quite say Bromwell is unlistenable, but most of the episodes featuring him as the host usually end up being filler ones that I can have on in the background. The one he did on Angle leaving the WWE was quite good. At least he doesn't have any of Conrad's worst tendencies.

Ad Free Shows have been uploading some of their content to Youtube and I've had a fun time listening to Can Chris Hero Save Wrestling?. Hero comes off as the biggest wrestling nerd. It's nice to see guys who've been in the business for most of their life still being able to geek out about wrestling.  

On 11/11/2021 at 8:46 PM, Migs said:

So, wait, is this new Ric Flair podcast not a Conrad thing? How is that possible?

He's pretty much radioactive to the point the only person who would do a show with him was Mark Madden of all people, who's made a bit of news here locally for having a temper tantrum and taking his ball and going home because he was making personal attacks on another local sports reporter. 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, Gertner said:

Again, Paul Bromwell makes these shows unlistenable.  My God.

Yeah, the Bromwell shows are an instant skip for me. I've been skipping most JR shows recently, or at least the ones where they focus on a specific show. It seems like JR no longer re-watches the shows they're covering, so he doesn't add much insight to whatever Conrad is talking about.

Also, I know JR has either begun or is about to start undergoing treatment for skin cancer, so I can understand why he may not have the time or the energy to re-watch a show and take studious notes as Bischoff does on his show. I'm not trying to knock Jim, so I hope I don't come across as mean-spirited.