Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/19 - 10/25 No NBA, no happiness

KawadaSmile

WWE's version of ECW that was on SyFy channel, when it was airing, left me - a diehard ECW fan - very disappointed. Of course, I went in expecting ECW which was a mistake on my part, obviously. However, that being said: if you go back & look at what came out of that "brand" we got Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, CM Punk & some other pretty good stuff. How different is WWE if we never get Kofi Kingston? Never get The New Day. Never get Kofi winning the WWE title. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not holding my breath in expectations that they would somehow shut them down, WWE has the Florida governor in their back pocket so he'd come to their defense anyway.

Do I expect heavy fines? That might be possible but I don't think Vince will lose too much sleep. If anything, maybe talents at the Performance Center and on the NXT roster should probably get their shit together.

Pro wrestling is never going to be the most pressing issue facing the country, so that kind of attitude ensures that nothing will ever be done. WWE and wrestling in general have always been able to evade serious scrutiny by virtue of being seen as their own worlds. Even if it was a sleazy business, the sleaze was self-contained and had no impact on the outside world. But if they have enough money and power to have the governor of the fourth-largest state do their bidding in the midst of a public health crisis, they need to be dealt with.

random question:

on WOL today Joseph Park came up.  Bryan and/or Mike suggested using Abyss in a cameo spot at Halloween Havoc.

Would Anthem/Impact own the intellectual property to that gimmick?  I know he used it elsewhere and I think used it in Puerto Rico first.  Would they even care?  Have they ever even gone after WWE for something like that?  I know there was some weird back and forth between TNA/Panda and WWE at times but it's hard to remember all the silly shit that happened involving TNA

NXT really is a dead brand. There is zero discussion about the Wednesday show on PWO - ZERO - every single week. 

I didn't watch it either, but I'm deliriously thrilled that Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan (with Pat McAfee) are the new NXT Tag Teams Champions.

I've always been a fan of those guys - especially Burch - so it's nice to see them getting a real push with a big time manager/wrestler. 

McAfee exceeded expectations and looked like a major star against "good rassler" Adam Cole a month or two ago. 

I wouldn't take the activity of a thread (or lack thereof) as any indicator outside the PWO bubble, bubba C.S. 

But indeed, very few people seem to care then the Wednesday show is on. I might check it out later on Thursday, and the title change seems like a decent reason for me to watch it. Oney and Burch need some love. Big Match Pat is a nice addition.

Even the comments sections at 411's Wednesday reviews is weighted 3:1 in favour of AEW, and the "watch-along" comments are even worse for NXT. Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) the NXT live chat was a ghost-town of three or four die-hards, compared to over 1000 Dynamite comments.

I just find there's a sterility to NXT and a vibrancy to AEW. Who cares if the inmates are running the asylum if their fun is infectious? The warders are there to tranquilise them if they go too far.

NXT's slide in quality started a long time before Covid, but it also doesn't help that - even for a WWE-centric fan - NXT no longer looks or feels any different than RAW or SmackDown, and how many hours of the same thing can one reasonably watch? I know some people see worlds of difference between the PC Center, Full Sail, the Thunderdome, and wherever else they've been filming for the past 7 months, but it all looks kinda the same to me and I never forget that there's not actually a full live crowd (even if that crowd is less than 500 for NXT and 8,000+ for RAW).

For a time, NXT did feel like WWE's own "alternative" brand, but that changed a long time ago and now, even a side-by-side comparison in production doesn't yield much contrast.

Yup. Also there was a time in which NXT *was* a can't miss show. The week to week development of storylines seemed to have much more effort when it was focused around Bayley, Sasha, Finn, and the tag division. In some regards, it DID feel like a development brand, as there were many smaller indie names or even newbies going around perfecting their craft. 

Nowadays it feels like very little happens, even when there are title changes. 

Something pretty newsworthy did happen on NXT last night. 

During the Bronson Reed/Austin Theory match, someone named McKenzie Mitchell was giving an update on the condition of Bobby Fish after he was attacked backstage earlier in the show.

During her report she said that Fish was taken to a local hospital. I can't remember the last time they actually said the word "hospital" and not "local medical facility." 

15 hours ago, cm funk said:

random question:

on WOL today Joseph Park came up.  Bryan and/or Mike suggested using Abyss in a cameo spot at Halloween Havoc.

Would Anthem/Impact own the intellectual property to that gimmick?  I know he used it elsewhere and I think used it in Puerto Rico first.  Would they even care?  Have they ever even gone after WWE for something like that?  I know there was some weird back and forth between TNA/Panda and WWE at times but it's hard to remember all the silly shit that happened involving TNA

According to the USPTO trademark database, Anthem currently holds the Abyss trademark. Assuming WWE even has interest in using the gimmick, the only possible incentive Anthem would have for allowing them would be if they agreed to pay a king's ransom.

The mere idea that WWE would pay for using the Abyss gimmick, which has easily been one of the worst character of the last 20 years and the posterboy of everything crappy in TNA, says a lot about their total creative bankruptcy. Banking on TNA nostalgia. Ponder that one for a second.

2 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Something pretty newsworthy did happen on NXT last night. 

During the Bronson Reed/Austin Theory match, someone named McKenzie Mitchell was giving an update on the condition of Bobby Fish after he was attacked backstage earlier in the show.

During her report she said that Fish was taken to a local hospital. I can't remember the last time they actually said the word "hospital" and not "local medical facility." 

They did start using the term "hospital" recently, as early as this summer. I think it was when they wrote off Elias at the Performance Center.