GWE Non-Thread Worthy Comments

Grimmas

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I've seen of Horst was a handful of AJ matches in 1975-1977 and it's now been a few years since I've seen that early into the Archive, but I was extremely impressed by him and now I see he had an AWA run including matches with Bock. Seemed like a guy Inoki would have tried hard to poach and then get his ass thoroughly manhandled like he did against Roland Bock. 

Rusher from time to time is involved in some really good matches but most of the time he's just kind of there

3/28/76 Rusher Kimura vs. Jumbo Tsuruta UN Heavyweight   Title reactivated after closure of JWA in 1973, part of IWE vs AJPW show Highly Recommended

It seems to me he has about 3 pretty strong performances a year and the rest he's just a guy filling the card

The Mad Dog Vachon match from 1977 is also a fun brawl. I gave it a **3/4(5/10) but that was more due to it being clipped. (I tend not to deal in hypotheses about how good matches were in the building from edited versions when I rate them, at least not in terms of my submissions on that site.)

Kimura is a legend more for his promos, maybe the GOAT in Japan in that regard?  i remember one of my buddies from some years back had learned Japanese and did a bunch of wrestling searching on places like Nicovideo (Japanese Youtube, basically) - the only promo compilation he found on there at all was for Rusher.

His Japanese Wikipedia entry has an entire section dedicated to it with extensive quotes, which I've ran through DeepL before. A lot of it is very culturally specific, but an easily accessible subject was his frequent attempts to "help" eternal bachelor Fuchi get laid.

1. "Fuchi, did you see Taue's vigorous fighting? Hey, Fuchi, do you know why he's doing that? Because he got married, motherfucker! It's time for you to get married too, you son of a bitch! You know what? If you don't have a matchmaker, I'll be one for you."
  2. Kimura "considered" introducing one of his relatives to Fuchi, but decided against it because he didn't want to be related to him.
  3. Putting over the local women: ""Fuchi, how about an Akita beauty? Akita beauties are good, Fuchi! Get an Akita beauty as a wife, you bastard!"
  4. "I'm going to find your wife in this hall." Then he proceeds to ask an elderly woman in the crowd to marry Fuchi.
  5. Advising Fuchi to sing "Bésame Mucho" at karaoke to seduce someone.

Also, on the day that he was supposed to face Tenryu in a singles match, but Tenryu had already left the company, Kimura told the audience never to buy from Megane Super even if they developed presbyopia, and the audience erupted.

A question: Apart from Mil Mascaras, Antonio Inoki and Bob Holly, which wrestlers do you think would honestly rank themselves as number-one-and-the-best, the Greatest Wrestler Ever?

Because here's my thinking: most wrestlers would point to someone else. Sasha would likely point to Eddie, Triple H would point to Harley or Ric, even Lou Thesz pointed to Lewis. A lot of wrestlers would be embarrassed to be even in the conversation for number 1 (not talking top 100, just the Single Greatest Wrestler Ever). Flattered, yes. But they'd nearly all defer to someone else.

And for a secondary question, do we know who any other wrestlers rate as their Number One of all-time? I know Ray Stevens' name gets thrown around a bit.

5 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

A question: Apart from Mil Mascaras, Antonio Inoki and Bob Holly, which wrestlers do you think would honestly rank themselves as number-one-and-the-best, the Greatest Wrestler Ever?

Because here's my thinking: most wrestlers would point to someone else. Sasha would likely point to Eddie, Triple H would point to Harley or Ric, even Lou Thesz pointed to Lewis. A lot of wrestlers would be embarrassed to be even in the conversation for number 1 (not talking top 100, just the Single Greatest Wrestler Ever). Flattered, yes. But they'd nearly all defer to someone else.

And for a secondary question, do we know who any other wrestlers rate as their Number One of all-time? I know Ray Stevens' name gets thrown around a bit.

Since Bret, who most consider very arrogant, doesn't even rank himself the greatest Canadian ever, I doubt very many.

Maybe Hogan and El Hijo del Santo?

6 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Ray Stevens is basically the only name in existence where if you put him on the top half of your list, I won’t be able to take it seriously. 

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

if you put him on the top half of your list, I won’t be able to take it seriously. 

No danger of that, I wasn't asking for list-purposes (he's not even on my working list). It was just idle thinking.

1 hour ago, Grimmas said:

Maybe Hogan

Can't believe I forgot him. Was too busy trying to get my shit in my Bob Holly gag in ;)

7 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Dave said a while back that Terry Funk has an incredibly high opinion of himself, as well he should. And I know you're taking the piss with Bob Holly, but he said in his book that he considers Shawn Michaels the greatest of all time. He buries the shit out of HBK in every other respect, so you know he's sincere.

2 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Since Bret, who most consider very arrogant, doesn't even rank himself the greatest Canadian ever, I doubt very many.

Maybe Hogan and El Hijo del Santo?

Bret has said that when he calls himself the best there is, was, ever will be, it's based on three things. One, he never injured an opponent in the ring. Two, he only missed one scheduled booking, and that was due to a cancelled flight. Three, he never refused to put anyone over (other than...you know). He's always said that he considers Dynamite Kid the greatest in-ring worker, though. As for Hogan, he called Flair the greatest of all time in an interview a few months ago.

9 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Bret has said that when he calls himself the best there is, was, ever will be, it's based on three things. One, he never injured an opponent in the ring. Two, he only missed one scheduled booking, and that was due to a cancelled flight. Three, he never refused to put anyone over (other than...you know). He's always said that he considers Dynamite Kid the greatest in-ring worker, though. As for Hogan, he called Flair the greatest of all time in an interview a few months ago.

On a Legends of the Ring, he was asked who the greatest Canadian wrestler was and he said Archie Gouldie, and then when someone tried to argue with him and say it was him, he didn't back down.