AEW Dynamite 1st TBS episode - January 5, 2022

MoS

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I dunno, man. Seemed very awkward

It feels like Jurassic Express winning was a last second decision after Fenix broke his arm, based an the people standing on the ramp and the awkward came shots.

It seemed to me like signalling the start of a new era, with contenders eyes the young team. That's what they were selling on commentary too

Just now, MoS said:

It seemed to me like signalling the start of a new era, with contenders eyes the young team. That's what they were selling on commentary too

I'm not against it if it was the planned decision, to be honest. Luchasaurus is certainly not very sharp but I like the JE and Jungle Boy rocks. 

31 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Regal would make a pretty great JJ Dillon for a Danielson stable. Danielson, Garcia, Thatcher and Busick would be my picks, maybe instead of Thatcher get them a heater like Kal Jak or Denzel Dejournette.

When Danielson was making jokes about Garcia being his son (because that's the Bella's shoot name) I thought for sure he was planting the seeds for something like this. 

2 hours ago, C.S. said:

Why the hell are they mentioning WrestleMania over and over? Totally bush league. 

WWE brainwashed everyone into thinking you don't mention the competition, AEW doesn't pretend the other company's don't exist.  Think it's fine and adds to the story they telling, it's going to be a big part of MJF story when his contract up and he's using it to get heat.

11 minutes ago, ragemaster said:

WWE brainwashed everyone into thinking you don't mention the competition, AEW doesn't pretend the other company's don't exist.

Your point doesn't make much sense when: 1. WWE mentioned the competition constantly in the Attitude Era. 2. Mentioned it again a couple of years ago with Triple H's "pissant company" remark. No one is being brainwashed here. 

I have Danielson-Hangman second all-time in terms of matches I was live at, ahead of Danielson-Omega. (#1 is Cody-Dustin.) Just a classic. Really paid off Danielson establishing so many finishers, gave the match real drama. Also, Danielson's blade job was perfect, working perfectly as an explanation of why he couldn't always capitalize in the final stretch, or was able to be knocked off by one strong shot. Just a master class.

30 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Your point doesn't make much sense when: 1. WWE mentioned the competition constantly in the Attitude Era. 2. Mentioned it again a couple of years ago with Triple H's "pissant company" remark. No one is being brainwashed here. 

WWE do it on the rare occasion, but by and large they pretend the competition doesn't exist. I know its 30 years ago, but think how much better Flair could have been booked coming in with the WCW title. 

Just don't see anything bush league about it, its more stupid to pretend the biggest wrestling company doesn't exist, When AEW they mention every other company out there and work with them too. Think Tony's end game is to do a show with WWE, probably have to wait for Vince to pass on before it happens. 

2 minutes ago, jiraffejustin said:

Not to be Jim Cornette here, but it really sucks for Fenix that he broke his arm on such a throwaway spot. 

Yeah like someone said earlier, that's how it always seems to work in wrestling. People fear the crazy dives and whatnot and most injuries end up being freak accidents

28 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Bubba, the thing here is that the whole exchange between Punk and MJF doesn't really "endorse" the company or WM. MJF, kayfabe-wise, thinks he's above Punk and AEW as a whole. He's doing them a favor by being there, and he doesn't seem properly valued. Him going to WWE and main-eventing Mania (lololol) would be a middle finger to AEW and to Punk, who never was able to do that. It fits with his whole schtick of "being better than you".

When Punk retorts, it just exposes MJF kinda being a fraud. Main eventing night four and then quickly being released means he ain't shit, not to his eyes, nor to the eyes of the company he wants to go just to spite AEW. It works. 

It looked to me like Fenix should have just tucked his chin and not thrown his left arm out to break his fall. Also Luchasaurus should not have fallen with him. It feels like they wanted to recreate the Archer & Moxley spot from last year. If you remember that had a few tables and Moxley was just thrown off the side of the ring without Lance chasing him down.

When I saw 7 pages, I feared some kind of bizarre booking decision but thankfully, it wasn't that. Page winning was absolutely the right move but I'm at a loss as to who he works at the PPV. Adam Cole?

I'm not sure Jade is ready for a title yet but the booking and the timing of it all probably means she had to. I'm glad AEW has really padded out with some stronger women workers to help her through it as it's definitely there but she's going to need some really smartly laid out matches, especially to hang on PPV. Rosa/Mercedes should absolutely slap though. Brian Pillman JR is unfortunate because I can fully understand why they'd want to push him and want to feature him but Garrison is the standout of that team and the experiment with trying to push them further up the card needs to be shelved; they're solid as fiery undercard babyfaces. 

Fenix's injury was grisly, christ. I hope that's not as bad as it looked and I'd have been down for Death Triangle vs The House of Black but that looks like it's on the backburner. Unless they do an angle with Penta brings in somebody to team with in his absence. Glad for Jungle Boy, it was the big win that he's needed and I'm looking forward to Lucha Express vs. 2.0, especially. I think that could be good stuff but wouldn't surprise me if we got Santana and Ortiz as the first main challengers, that seems like it could be good fun.

A weird, uneven show that they're often capable of but I thought it set up a lot of future stuff really nicely, except for, strangely enough, their top title.

Also, the idea of Danielson leading a stable of shooters is fucking great but I'll easily settle for Regal as his second and a long TNT title run where he crafts 10-15 minute Rampage main events against whoever he fancies every week.

3 minutes ago, Stiva said:

A weird, uneven show that they're often capable of but I thought it set up a lot of future stuff really nicely, except for, strangely enough, their top title.

I have this hunch more was supposed to happen last night but stuff got screwed up because of where we're at with COVID. Like, Mox is going to come back in two weeks and Meltz is going to be like, "oh, yeah, he was gonna come back in Newark but got COVID."