Pro Wrestling Only

WWE MIDCARD ROYAL RUMBLE 2022

KawadaSmile

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/25/2022 at 3:04 PM, KawadaSmile said:

We have 22 of 30 entrants announced, and breaking down who is there we have the following:

• 12  wrestlers are tag team members (technically 13 since Kofi is there but Woods is injured), which is close to the most in a single Rumble.
  • One is Johnny Knoxville.
  • There are only FIVE SmackDown members announced so far (the roster is so fucking thin at the moment, not even Drew is there)
  • Theory, Priest, Omos, while fresh faces, are absolutely not winning this and ain't big names yet.

If we are optimistic, we'll still get Balor, Cesaro, Ricochet, making it 25 known names. Boogs and Nakamura, 27. Apollo would make it 28. I expect, at most, Bron Breakker and Melo to appear, but it feels like we'll get Ciampa and Dunne. Or Veer.

On paper, it all looks very dire.

BOOGZ, Nakamura and Ricochet were confirmed. Dire, dire

Australia's leading online bookie will give you 301/1* for an Arquette victory, but I prefer VEER~! at 201/1.

Actually, I'll put a whole, entire, shiny new dollar on Bron Brekker at 34/1. There was a recent, unrelated, Vince "why wait?" story, so I can see Vince thinking, "Well, if we're going to push him in July (or whenever), why not push him in January?". Plus it addresses the "WWE can't make new stars" truism with a guy who weighs more than Jungle Jack and Darby, combined. He's also 7/1 to make the Final Four.

Thrillseekers might fancy a bet on Jay White at 126/1 or Bray Wyatt at 23/1, while Johnny Gargano is good value at 126/1. If Vince is really desperate for mainstream exposure - and when isn't he? - Johnny Knoxville at 151/1 might be the way to go.

And a dollar on Doudrop at 51/1 in the Lady Rumble.

*For the uninitiated and/or clean-living souls : Odds in most of the world are written as, for example,  7/1, meaning you get $7 for every $1 invested. I do find the American system confusing.

Big E cut a fired-up promo after he lost the belt (which will look great in the 'Mania promo package), and has been less than ho-hum on SmackDown since. He's gonna win, and last time I looked he wasn't the favorite, so I'd bet on him.

I think Ronda doesn't need to be in the Rumble. She can just show up and roll the footage from the match where she put Becky over and that match is made, so I'm going Bianca for back-to-back wins. 

Rousey doesn't need to be in the Rumble, but the Rumble badly needs Ronda to be in it.

I would totally throw Bron in the Rumble and give him the monster push there.

Odds on some guy who was in AEW showing up and the WWE fanboys going crazy about it ("lul AEW iz dead" and the likes) ?

They seem to be building toward a Charlotte/Lita title match, and having Lita win the Rumble is the most obvious way to get there. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they promised her a Rumble win and a title match at Mania in return for not going to AEW. Ronda can just show up and call her shot against Becky, especially given the way the last match involving the two ended. That pretty well leaves Bianca out in the cold, but you know.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Odds on some guy who was in AEW showing up and the WWE fanboys going crazy about it ("lul AEW iz dead" and the likes) ?

Hopefully Lio Rush for the full headfuck experience. 

Definitely feels like the most hot take rumble in years this one, think the really low expectations could help it in a way as no-one anywhere seems to think it will be good. 

Brock and Rousey sure feel like favorites and likely directions given this company's booking in recent years.  The Brock side of that seems particularly unnecessary but he's still one of the few guys on the roster I love watching and find special so I can't complain too much if that's where things go, even if it means passing on yet another opportunity to actually try and elevate someone fresh.  

Putting it on a Saturday means I won't order an especially unhealthy meal but the Rumble's almost can't help but be a fun watch even if disappointing.  Hopefully a decent crowd here as well.

Meltzer is now reporting that Ronda/Charlotte is the plan for Mania. I have no idea who the babyface is supposed to be in that scenario, but OK. So obviously Ronda wins if she's in the Rumble. If not, it'll likely be Belair or maybe Ripley.

By the way, Vince's mother died recently. So if the booking in the coming weeks is even more scatterbrained than usual, that's probably why.

30 years ago Ric Flair won the Rumble in what is still considered one of the best. First PPV I ever watched too. Crazy to think that neither MJF, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy or Sammy Guevarra were even born then.Sasha Banks was one week old. Charlotte was five. Charlotte's in the Rumble, right ? There's no way this isn't referred a thousand times tonight, her possibly winning 30 years after the legendary win of her father.

44 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Meltzer is now reporting that Ronda/Charlotte is the plan for Mania. I have no idea who the babyface is supposed to be in that scenario, but OK. So obviously Ronda wins if she's in the Rumble. If not, it'll likely be Belair or maybe Ripley.

He also mentioned Ronda isn't on a "just a few appearances" deal meaning she won't just be here and Mania, so they could do something like Charlotte winning and then declaring no one on the roster is worthy of a match because she just beat them all which would lead to Ronda coming out.  "The champ is the one to pick the match" is at least a new wrinkle on things. 

I can’t believe you can bet on this stuff, but when I last saw the odds Charlotte seemed like a good bet. 

I am not an MMA fan at all but I thought Ronda was great in her first run and probably kept my fandom in life support for a bit. No matter what they do with her I am happy she is back and the more she wrestles the better. 

So she originally signed a two year deal, then left after the first year to start a family. If it was anyone else, WWE would have pulled the old "we're freezing your contract because you were out" move. I wonder if they would dare do that to Ronda too. My gut would say no, but I could see WWE being egotistical enough to try. 

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

So she originally signed a two year deal, then left after the first year to start a family. If it was anyone else, WWE would have pulled the old "we're freezing your contract because you were out" move. I wonder if they would dare do that to Ronda too. My gut would say no, but I could see WWE being egotistical enough to try. 

The version I heard is that WWE accidentally let Ronda's contract rollover. Mark Carrano and others were quickly fired after.