Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Scott Hall

sek69

I expected the news as soon as I woke up. :(

Razor was a favorite of mine as soon as he showed up on TV and was plugged into the main-event scene. Loved the finisher, loved the presentation (although the Scarface thing went way over my head, I had not seen the movie at that point). Loved the matches with Bret. Then of course the face turn and all the really good IC title stuff (against Martel, Micheals and the two ladder matches which have changed the business for ever, Jarrett). Him showing up on Nitro remains of the most most important spot in the history of US pro-wrestling, although I did not get to see it as it happened. But the nWo got WCW so hot that Bischoff got the TV contract that WWF used to have in France, on Canal +. The switch happened in early 97 (with a  few weeks late, as always so we got the TV from late 96) and I wasn't happy at first (as a WWF fan who did want to recognize that anything else could be good... yep...) but very quickly I really fell in love with the super hot promotion and was so happy to see some very familiar faces, including Scott Hall of course. 

It's too bad that he had such deep alcohol issues, as it really has hurt the last part of his career, especially when he went back to WWF. If he had been younger in the 00's, he would have been word champion ten times or so. 

So yeah, he was an old favorite of mine. I got a ton of pro-wrestling joy watching this man in action. So long, chico...

25 minutes ago, MoS said:

Just exuded charisma, it dripped from his bones.

Well, there's something to be said about "charisma" in general, since if you look at his AWA work, he had exactly none there, and not very much either at the start of his WCW run. It's not before he hooked up with with DDP as the Diamond Studd (really the sketch for what will become Razor Ramon) that he figured something out about performing (same thing goes for Nash BTW, both their career really followed the same path if you think about it, Nash began to figure it out at the end of his WCW stint, there transferred into WWF and got attached with Shawn & Razor). People forget he was already 34 when he showed up in WWF, so he was quite a late bloomer too (like Nash). 

One thing I LOVED about Hall was his punches, which had great ooomph, looked great and sounded great (and yeah, he did slap his thighs). He was doing pretty dangerous looking spots for 90's WWF (that damn back suplex from the top rope, the sack-of-shit, the Razor's Edge), he worked well with pretty much everyone, he was always a guy I wanted to see against anyone. He was never the same in-ring in WCW, but him making fun of the Giant never gets old. 

Now that I think about it, I still do the old Scott Hall nWo walk (you know the one) to this day whenever I got to go through a dense crowd...

Vince thinking Razor Ramon was a genius original creation because he had never heard of Scarface is one of my all-time favorite wrestling stories. And yes, I agree that Hall's career is another point in favor of the argument that pro wrestling charisma is a teachable skill and not necessarily something you either have or don't. By the way, the Kliq tag from Action Zone is still the best tag match in company history and a strong contender for best-ever US tag.

Shitty news all in all. For all the reputation of the nWo not working hard at all, you rewatch it and you definitely can’t levy that at Scott Hall. The 6-man at Slamboree 97 is a prime example, I’d say. I’m glad that he got to pull around a bit in later years and do things like the HOF and those random shots on Raw. I hope someone, somewhere, does a nWo inspired survey on wrestling TV this week.

It's frightening how quickly this all escalated too. Last week he's hospitalised with a broken hip, then on Saturday he suffers 3 heart attacks and is now at the end of the line. Very sad news.

Like a lot of people above, I was a big fan as a kid. Razor Ramon just oozed cool, he stood out as someone with a bit of an edge in the WWF babyface landscape. He had some really good matches over the years when motivated, and clearly had a mind for wrestling. I remember Matt Morgan saying in TNA that Hall had taken him aside and advised him to slow down his back elbows in the corner, as that would let the impact of each one sink in with the audience. I wish we'd got to see more of that side of him.

17 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I mean....should it really be Meltzer who should be doing those updates? Shouldn't that be up to Kevin Nash & Sean Waltman?

To be fair, I put them in the wrong order. Waltman's tweet was first. 

Edit: Corrected

I understand where Waltman is coming from and is hoping for the best outcome but things right now doesn't look good. 

This is a devastating blow to my childhood. All the kids in the 90s talked about wrestling, hell we even talked  about it with the teachers. I remember getting in trouble when I did the toothpick spot to another student, they thought it was funny but my mama didn't lol. He'll never get his proper due because of the reputation of the Kilq but he was a great worker when given the chance to shine. I know the Action Zone tag match gets universal acclaim but he had a tag match with Kevin Nash on Nitro against Ric Flair and Chris Benoit that is worth a watch.

Hey Yo, "Can I get over?" - Some wrestler while driving to Scott Hall, who responds, "I don't know. Can you?" I became a fan of pro wrestling in the Summer of 1997 and there was no bigger act than NWO. There has never been anyone as cool as the NWO. I still Too Sweet random people. I still flash the 4 Life. I still do that finger point-side stretch gimmick thing that never got name. Macho Man was my favorite. Hollywood Hogan was the star. The epicenter of fucking cool was "Da Bad Guy" Scott Hall. I ripped off "Hey Yo" from him and made it my signature greeting throughout high school and college. The Survey Time gimmick was always over with me. I can say I got to see Scott Hall wrestle because my Dad took me to Boston Brawl in January 1998. I am so lucky. Perhaps the most bizarre thing about Scott Hall and why I think I am so devastating by his passing is I loved listening to his shoot interviews. When Youtube got big in 2006-2007, those things started popping up like wildfire and I must have listened to everyone. He was funny as fuck. Just a wicked biting, razor-sharp sense of humor. I led with one of his funniest exchanges, but another of my favorites is I think this was the Dudleyz. Him and Big Kev were going to do a match with them and in the back he asks what their finish is. They said the 3-D. He replied "Cant wait to kick out of it". That popped me fucking huge. It was not just the humor but how much he loved pro wrestling. On my walk today, I put on a podcast episode from 2019 from X-Pac's/Waltman's show. He was talking about helping some really big dude down in NXT. He was talking about how psyched he was to help him and that when the kid had his first match, he was so jazzed that he couldnt go to bed. He was so excited to see how the kid would turn out. He just loved pro wrestling like the rest of us.

The darkest period of my life was my ex broke my heart for the last time in September 2019. Nothing could drown out those thoughts. Not music, not exercise, nothing. I turned to Scott Hall Shoot Interviews. He got me through that week by being one of the funniest, coolest dudes ever who just happened to love pro wrestling.

I am going to go listen to some Scott Hall shoot interviews. Rest in Peace Scott Hall. 

From 1991 to 1993, I had no means to watch wrestling on TV because we didn't have cable in my little town around that time. All I had was renting video tapes periodically and once we finally got cable, I remember my uncle being so excited to tell me about that guy wearing gold chains, talking with a Cuban assassin called Razor Ramon. I had no idea who that was and rarely my uncle was getting excited for someone other than Jim Neidhart (that's a story in itself!) but once I saw Razor Ramon for the first time, I got it. I got why he was so excited about him. He was just oozing charisma (along with machismo) and you just couldn't take your eyes off of him. But for me, considering how the NWO played a big part in my teenage years, this is where Scott Hall's legacy is most important to me. He was how the whole thing started; the whole catalyst to the most important faction in modern wrestling history at that time. Scott Hall's contributions to the business are so immense, we can't make it true justice.

Scott Hall being so fucking cool that people legit don't mind him portraying a latino character is kinda heartwarming. He was the first BIG latin representation in wrestling for many people (sorry, Tito), so I believe he's helped a ton of people in that regard.

One of the most important wrestlers of his and any era, really.

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

One of the most important wrestlers of his and any era, really.

Not only kickstarted the whole nWo angle in WCW but was also in the first aired Ladder match in WWF too, right? And I think he even came up with The Crow gimmick for Sting. His fingerprints are all over wrestling. AND he was responsible for ending the Goldberg streak in kayfabe too with the taser during Starrcade.