Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - April 13/15, 2022

MoS

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a perfect show. Ending was flat, crowd was dead for Marina-Sky as there still hasn't been much promotion of the former, and the Nyla-TR segment was bizarre for a go-home title match angle. But everything else was pretty much firing on all cylinders. Still probably one of my favorite Dynamites ever, and when AEW is on, it's almost how unfair how good they can be.

I think part of it is the crowd really wants to get behind Skye Blue and they keep sending her out to get destroyed.  I also think the fact that Marina's whole presentation to wrestling fans prior to AEW has been "Ronda's pal" so maybe there's a little bit of negative association there. I thought maybe there'd be a little more interest since she's probably the most "dangerous" challenger Jade has faced, but maybe it's just a case of everyone believing "Jade is just going to beat her so who cares".

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I thought maybe there'd be a little more interest since she's probably the most "dangerous" challenger Jade has faced, but maybe it's just a case of everyone believing "Jade is just going to beat her so who cares".

If Jade somehow loses to an NXT jobber...oof.

Yep, don't care if Marina Shafir is the 2nd or 3rd most dangerous woman in the world IRL - that's not how she has been presented thus far - and while AEW can certainly change that, rushing her into a title match isn't suddenly going to undo her current perception or make her seem more important than she actually is.

She's just a body to feed to Cargill anyway, which is 100% the right choice, so it doesn't matter in the short term.

I don’t really have too much of an issue with that final angle but yeah, the lights out gimmick was a pretty odd way to go about it and there’s no denying it went down like a lead balloon. Not to mention you already did a present angle with Nyla who is a far better promo than Lethal or Dutt. You may as well go full Jinder and bring in the Bollywood Boys with him. And does Cargill really need Red Velvet with her in a stable or even a lackey situation?  She’s rapidly outgrowing Sterling, never mind anyone else low on the totem pole.

Other than that, the show was good again. They have crazy consistency these days. I cracked up at Kingston working the 6-man like someone bored playing a wrestling game, jumping off the apron when he wasn’t in the ring so he could beat up one of his opponents and then you had Ortiz stealing Cool Hand Ange’s shoes and the hilarious WWE parody before Judas. I’m digging the new Jericho stable because he’s finally reverting back to the deluded idiot that made his early AEW run so great.

BCC vs Gunn Club needs to be a massacre. Also, Gresham vs Castle being added to the Saturday show rules. We are slowly approaching peak WCW in terms of match cards feeling like a total lottery. We just need some more old Memphis guys showing up on Elevation with bizarre gimmicks. What’s David Young doing these days?

Something just seemed off about this episode. I thought maybe it’s just me so I went back and watched it again. I’m not seeing the point of some of the current booking. Hopefully part of the big announcement is ROH having their own show again with current storylines and angles. 

I think Punk should be doing more than just having ‘dream matches’. Some kind of storyline where he is beating everyone in the top 5 rankings to earn a title shot maybe? 

A lot of the show just feels like everyone is spinning their wheels waiting for the next PPV, plus ROH stuff sprinkled throughout. Punk is without a feud or real purpose, there’s no clear contender for Jurassic Express except FTR and they are both faces now, most of the title feuds feel like they are just there as filler (Page/Cole, Jade/Shafir,) or something like Sammy/Scorpio where they are both basically heels. Thunder Rosa/Nyla Rose got off to a rough start but is really the only title program I’m interested in and looking forward to the match Saturday.

Gresham/Castle will hopefully be good. I really got into Dalton Castle during his ROH title run but since then it feels like something is missing. I watched the pre show match before Supercard of Honor and he just didn’t feel like a big deal anymore. 

Suzuki winning the ROH tv title then dropping it straight to Joe felt odd too. The match was fun, I like Joe and Lethal, but without knowing the plan for ROH it’s harder for me to get invested. Having flashbacks to the WCW invasion of WWF I guess. 

I guess the big guy is big in India, but it feels like the old David Hassellhoff is big in Germany jokes when I say that. 

I also don’t know where the Hook and Danhausen stuff is going. It was funny the first time but every week of Hook no selling the curses and being too cool to play along just gets old fast. Wouldn’t mind a Hook vs Orange Cassidy match when OC is healthy though. 

I don’t mean to come off as negative, I’m enjoying the BCC and Lee/Swerve vs Team Taz. Kingston and Proud and Powerful vs JAS too, but Kingston needs a couple more guys soon. The show was still ok, think I just got my hopes up for more. It’s a lot of waiting right now. House of Black vs Penta feud is waiting on Fenix. Elite vs Undisputed Elite is waiting on Omega. Qualifying matches for the Owen Hart tournaments next month. Even though, a show where most of the stuff didn’t hit for me is still a show worth watching so that’s an accomplishment in and of itself. 

2 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Suzuki winning the ROH tv title then dropping it straight to Joe felt odd too. The match was fun, I like Joe and Lethal, but without knowing the plan for ROH it’s harder for me to get invested. Having flashbacks to the WCW invasion of WWF I guess. 

I actually thought this was a clever little bit of planning - the goal was to get the title on Joe (since he seems like he's winding down and ROH might be a better spot for him), but him beating Titus would have been worth nothing. So they got the pop of the Suzuki win, set up a dream match with at least slightly extra stakes, delivered it and got to their destination.

49 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Keith is literally trying to work his way back from COVID-related heart issues that aren’t weight-related. To say he has a regular timeframe of looking his old self or that he ever will at this point is wishcasting. 

Does he have long covid? That would explain a lot, his movement is very different than, say, pre-NXT

3 hours ago, Migs said:

I actually thought this was a clever little bit of planning - the goal was to get the title on Joe (since he seems like he's winding down and ROH might be a better spot for him), but him beating Titus would have been worth nothing. So they got the pop of the Suzuki win, set up a dream match with at least slightly extra stakes, delivered it and got to their destination.

I think in that case I would have liked to have seen Joe and Suzuki have some interaction at Supercard of Honor to help set it up. Make a little bigger deal out of it than it being a thrown together match and almost an afterthought to the Joe/Lethal feud. Hopefully at least Suzuki sticks around and we get a tag match between him and Joe vs Lethal and Singh

1 hour ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Does he have long covid? That would explain a lot, his movement is very different than, say, pre-NXT

i'd say that's, at minimum, extremely likely given that it almost killed him.  Think he's acquitted himself very well given the circumstances - in a way it might have accidentally made him work smarter for the AEW environment, making him lean more on power spots which stand out in such a flippy promotion.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

Put the tag belts on FTR, graduate Jungle Boy to his singles run. Find another company for FTR to win the titles in and Ultimo Dragon it.

They are teasing an FTR vs. Von Erich Brothers match on Twitter, and MLW is offering to host it. I know FTR are taking independent dates, but I don’t know if MLW counts as an indie because they have a TV deal, so TK might not not let them do it.

Also this reminds me of how Konnan meeting with Tony during WM weekend and apparently giving him the okay to do whatever he wants with the AAA tag titles for whatever he's planning with FTR ended up (due to cross-language telephone games being played relaying the info) leading lucha twitter to briefly think TK was the new booker for AAA.

Props to Cole for taking those 3 big bumps and making Hangman look like a very dominant/badass babyface champion. I thought the match was very good, I had a good feeling when I realized it couldn't go longer than 20 minutes and they didn't disappoint. Very little excess and to the point.

Hangman has been everything he needed to be and more as champ, his next match with Punk is gonna be can't miss.

8 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

I think Punk should be doing more than just having ‘dream matches’. Some kind of storyline where he is beating everyone in the top 5 rankings to earn a title shot maybe? 

Isn't that pretty much exactly what Punk has been doing? I thought after his interview last week it was clear he was building wins so he could challenge the world champ, whether Hangman or Cole.