Pro Wrestling Only

The interesting Dave Meltzer posts thread

Bix

Yeah, they are the mods in the moderated part of the board, but given that Dave and pretty much everyone else mostly posts in the non-moderated part of the board anyway, they might as well get rid of it. :)

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they are the mods in the moderated part of the board, but given that Dave and pretty much everyone else mostly posts in the non-moderated part of the board anyway, they might as well get rid of it. :)

I think Tom's point is that a board moderated by ChikaraFanDan and Alan4L isn't going to be a whole lot better than a board that isn't moderated at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that the Konnan bio seems to perpetuate the "wink wink, nudge nudge" that Pena died of AIDS. Was there any truth to that, or was it just people speculating that must be the cause if a guy who was presumably gay dies in his 50s that has to be the reason?

As noted above, Paco Alonso holds grudges. To this day, for almost 18 years, Alonso has essentially refused to have anything to do with Carlos, and has rebuffed anyone who brings up the idea of inviting Konnan back to CMLL. Carlos doesn’t so much. When Paco Alonso was elected into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame ahead of him, Carlos said of Paco, “yeah, he deserves it.”

I mean, what the fuck? How magnanimous of Konnan!

Dave Meltzer, Mar 29 2010 Observer Newsletter:

The result got interesting because of the war with AAA. There was a press conference the day before, and Dorian Roldan acted like Eric Bischoff.

Roldan said the best thing for business was to run head-to-head with CMLL’s first major show of the year. Roldan said the two companies were in direct competition and in a war you go head-to-head and fight to win. He said that Felino would be losing his mask the next day, and that if you want to see a surprise, come to the AAA show. He said he was sick and tired of everyone saying CMLL was better than AAA, when they have much higher TV ratings. He said CMLL has been boring for years because the same two people have been in charge and nothing ever changes. He said the only upgrades CMLL has made is to copy how AAA produces television, and creating a Universal title after AAA created a Mega wold title. Konnan said CMLL bookers Franco Columbo and Panico (Juan Manuel Mar) are behind the times and wasting the talent.

No grudge to see here, none whatsoever...

Wait there's more from that edition of the Observer:

Konnan said that with he and Dorian Roldan working together, that AAA would grow, and he said AAA doesn’t have to run special promotions like two-for-ones and kids free to draw like CMLL does. He said they don’t have to turn their best babyface into a heel because it’s the only way they can draw.

The entire Konnan bio is amazing. Just page after page of self-congratulatory nonsense. I mean, I'm glad he made it in, and I think he probably deserved to make it, but there has never been as glowing a biography in the history of the WON. Here's another exerpt:

What’s on the horizon for Konnan? Will Carlos still be one of the most influential, newsworthy, and hall-of-fame-worthy people inside the wrestling business for the foreseeable future? Will the lure of MMA and its impending explosion in Mexico tug away at Carlos. He knows that this bombshell is coming this year or next in Mexico. Most observers see the delay more as a television problem (a function of the poor PPV penetration in Mexico) than in any lack of interest in or philosophical opposition to the sport. With his knowledge of the sport and incredible visual and aural charisma, he realizes he would be a natural as one of the announcers for UFC or another MMA promotion as it dives into Mexico and then the rest of Latin America. Announcers are as important in real sports as they are in worked sports, Carlos is looking at making a pitch to be in that role when the time comes.

Dave unusually posted a thread entitled "For some reason the Mickie James discussion got me thinking" and wrote:

1) An important lesson if you've got a hot girlfriend/wife. Do Not be "that guy"

That guy is Mr. Alexander in Palatka, FL, the husband of Michelle Alexander (McCool) who encouraged his wife to try out for the WWE Diva search since he was a big wrestling fan.

That guy is Stacy Keibler's boyfriend in Baltimore, who encouraged his girlfriend to try out to become a member of the Nitro Girls because he was a big wrestling fan.

Mr. McMichael, former NFL superstar who convinced Eric Bischoff that his nagging wife could be a TV character.

2) If Mickie deserves to be fired, then what about all the guys in wrestling who have slept with women in wrestling who were at the time married or dating other people, whether in or out of wrestling?

Do we have a double standard here?

It's true. It's true.

Dave unusually posted a thread entitled "For some reason the Mickie James discussion got me thinking" and wrote:

1) An important lesson if you've got a hot girlfriend/wife. Do Not be "that guy"

That guy is Mr. Alexander in Palatka, FL, the husband of Michelle Alexander (McCool) who encouraged his wife to try out for the WWE Diva search since he was a big wrestling fan.

That guy is Stacy Keibler's boyfriend in Baltimore, who encouraged his girlfriend to try out to become a member of the Nitro Girls because he was a big wrestling fan.

Mr. McMichael, former NFL superstar who convinced Eric Bischoff that his nagging wife could be a TV character.

2) If Mickie deserves to be fired, then what about all the guys in wrestling who have slept with women in wrestling who were at the time married or dating other people, whether in or out of wrestling?

It's true. It's true.

Next on "The View", Wrestling Journalist Dave Meltzer.

Remember, don't be "that guy" who encourages your hot girlfriend to go into showbiz. "Star 80" does wrestling better than wrestling. Eric Roberts was a great heel, though.

It's true. It's true.

Next on "The View", Wrestling Journalist Dave Meltzer.

Remember, don't be "that guy" who encourages your hot girlfriend to go into showbiz. "Star 80" does wrestling better than wrestling. Eric Roberts was a great heel, though.

Logically, it would not be a good idea to encourage your gf to go into wrestling. The WWE is full of people women are naturally attracted to. Biology tends to win out over logic.

To be fair, Dave has mentioned before how he thinks it's silly wrestlers can go out and drink/drug/whore it up and that's considered part of the business, but if a woman does it then it's not acceptable behavior.

oh man this reminds me of the post that old WWE writer made at some board a few years ago ( I think it was in 05 or so)

His constant lamenting of Debra annoying all the writers asking for her "TV Tapin' Time"

To be fair, Dave has mentioned before how he thinks it's silly wrestlers can go out and drink/drug/whore it up and that's considered part of the business, but if a woman does it then it's not acceptable behavior.

Men are programmed to be with multiple women. Women are programmed to be with the top male they can find. That's why there's a double standard.

As far as the drinking and drug goes, to me it's not acceptable on either ones part.

Men are programmed to be with multiple women. Women are programmed to be with the top male they can find. That's why there's a double standard.

I'm guessing you haven't known a lot of women in your life.

John

Was about to respond to that but John beat me to the punch. The "programm" thing is bullshit, and life will tell you otherwise. Met women who had been with shitloads of guys, and guys who are with the same girl since they are 20. The double standart comes from the fact that it's still not accepted socially that a woman can have as much lovers as she wants to. A guy fucking tons of woman is a Don Juan. A woman fucking tons of guys is a slut. Basically because men fear women who have lot of lovers. It is bullshit.

Was about to respond to that but John beat me to the punch. The "programm" thing is bullshit, and life will tell you otherwise. Met women who had been with shitloads of guys, and guys who are with the same girl since they are 20. The double standart comes from the fact that it's still not accepted socially that a woman can have as much lovers as she wants to. A guy fucking tons of woman is a Don Juan. A woman fucking tons of guys is a slut. Basically because men fear women who have lot of lovers. It is bullshit.

As a general rule the program thing is 100% true. Of course you can find women who have been with lots of guys and guys who have only been with 1 women. Every one of us is programmed to reproduce (with some exceptions) and NOBODY can agrue that but it doesn't mean that we are or aren't going to have kids.

Women are programmed to find the top alpha male to get the best seed for their babies. They than for certain reasons have to secure them. They have ways to find out who this is even if they're not totally concious of this. Facts. A lot of their actions are derived from that. Men are programmed to find the women with the best physiques for childbirth and to reproduce with multiple women. Fact.

Did you ever hear the old joke of how to figure out how many women a guy has been with and how many guys a women has been with? For the guyI believe you divide by 3 to find the right number and for the women I believe you multiply by 3. Its roots are in the statement I mentioned in the previous post as a women will tend to downplay the number of men she has been with and the guy will tend to overexaggerate.

The double standart comes from the fact that it's still not accepted socially that a woman can have as much lovers as she wants to. A guy fucking tons of woman is a Don Juan. A woman fucking tons of guys is a slut. Basically because men fear women who have lot of lovers. It is bullshit.

And there will always be a double standard. Like it or not it will always be there. Since a woman deep down is programmed to be with the top alpha male and than secure him she will hate herself for being too loose and pride herself on finding "the one". A slut (excuse my language) is the one thing a woman never ever wants to be at all costs. A woman who has sex with multiple guys will always be called a slut by her fellow female peers and males alike.

And yes, a man will always be a Don Juan for having sex with tons of women. You may not like it and I'm not here saying wether it's right or wrong. I'm just stating the facts. It's reality and the way things work. It's life.

Now about men fearing women who have lots of lovers. I agree with you. There is definitely truth to that though it wouldn't apply as much to the very secure males.

Yep, I'm definitely guessing you have had very little contact with women if you view them as objects who are "programmed to get the best seed". One of the creepiest posts I've read on the net, which is saying something.

It sounds like you need to put down whatever oddball literature you are reading and get out there and get some life experience.

Yep, I'm definitely guessing you have had very little contact with women if you view them as objects who are "programmed to get the best seed". One of the creepiest posts I've read on the net, which is saying something.

I second this...

I won't even bother responding to the vast amount of bullshit he calls "facts". Just point out the creepiest one to me :

Since a woman deep down is programmed to be with the top alpha male and than secure him she will hate herself for being too loose and pride herself on finding "the one". A slut (excuse my language) is the one thing a woman never ever wants to be at all costs. A woman who has sex with multiple guys will always be called a slut by her fellow female peers and males alike.

Jeez...

Tons of woman are totally at ease with their sexual life, don't care about finding any "alpha male", and people who call them sluts are just a bunch of idiotic bigots assholes, that's all. And that should and hopefully will change. It already does, in some evolved circles of civilization...

And what about, you know, gay and lesbians ?...

It sounds like you need to put down whatever oddball literature you are reading and get out there and get some life experience.

Yep.