Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it hundreds of times, but he just doesn't understand wrestling. The "he played his role well" line is perhaps a cliche on this board, but it's obviously one that Keith either never understood or, for some reason, objected to.

Here's SKeith on the Brock/Taker HIAC:

I think a lot of people are being pretty liberal with the praise for this match because of the blood, but I’m personally sick of the NCAA champion WRESTLER being used in these stand-up slugfests that even Sid Vicious could do with the right booking in order to disguise other people’s weaknesses. For what it was, it was good, but it’s time to find someone who can hang with Brock in a wrestling match and let him expand past the kick/punch mentality of the “WWE Main Event Style”.

I kind of have a soft spot for him, though. I first became aware of the IWC after reading Wrestling's One Ring Circus at Borders.

I spent hours upon hours in college in the late 90s/early 2000s reading Scott's archives while bored of my ass in the computer labs/library between classes. I'm a sucker for his rise and fall of the WWF articles and even the death of the AWA piece. The WCW 93 one is pretty good also.

I have not seen this anwered anywhere. Keith claimed that Chris Benoit was scheduled to win the main event of Uncensored 97 before Hogan vetoed. That can't possibly be true? Right?

I echo the yearbook analogy

I have not seen this anwered anywhere. Keith claimed that Chris Benoit was scheduled to win the main event of Uncensored 97 before Hogan vetoed. That can't possibly be true? Right?

I highly doubt it. Ring of Hell says the same thing, so it's not something that SKeith came up with. But, Dave has debunked some of the stories in Ring of Hell before.

The reason I doubt that it's the case is because Uncensored ended with Luger's big comeback to eliminate Savage, Hall, and Nash and then nearly Hogan before Rodman interfered to give the nWo the win. THAT was followed by Sting's appearance and laying out the nWo.

I discovered SKeith accidentally, when I came across his archive of Coliseum Video rants when doing a google search for something else CV related. It was his second book that turned me off on his writing, it was just so lazily thrown together and full of errors. Including saying that Austin was supposed to win Final Four, and the book came out a good eight months or so after Dave debunked it and his excuse was that he thought he'd read it in the Observer.

All these years later nothing has changed. Bix's synopsis of Dungeon of Death shows that. Not to mention his recent blog claims of Magnum's car crash being due to him being drunk, and the recent PWI on JCP's payroll claim. And even if Apter hadn't debunked it, I'd be skeptical about it. You'd think the mags would be a lot more pro NWA and anti all other feds. Not to mention that Bill hosted a video that included clips from Memphis and WCCW, and PWI sponsored a UWF Tournament at one point.

He gave Bossman/Barbarian a good rating in one of his reviews.

With One Man Gang. Keith's viewings of OMG are the WWF and his really shitty run in WCW where he was washed up. I can't think of too many good OMG matches from either company.

Had the Hogan series, The Demolition series with Bossman, match with Bam Bam in MSG, really good match with Beefcake in MSG, Vs Owen in MSG, vs Harts with Bossman.

What always winds me up about Keith is that if a match has a big man in it, who isn't Vader or Bam Bam, he will AUTOMATICALLY give it a DUD.

He's the text book example of a guy who thinks that great working is doing suplexes and/ or flippy floppy moves.

Don't think he's ever given a One Man Gang match more than *

His extreme underrating (to put it politely) of Big Show and Mark Henry is even more glaring.

I highly doubt it. Ring of Hell says the same thing, so it's not something that SKeith came up with. But, Dave has debunked some of the stories in Ring of Hell before.

That one sounds really odd, and perhaps more wishful thinking since they were in Horsemen Country and it's not like Eric would want to show up the Horsemen (a/k/a Team Piper) in Horsemen Country.

I don't know who on the booking committe even in the early stages would suggest Benoit win it given the "talent" level in the rest of the match. Benoit simply wasn't pushed at that level.

John

The original finish of Uncensored was Chris Benoit winning the main event for Piper's team, not Hulk Hogan for the NWO. Hogan contended before the match that all of the media that went to the event didn't come to watch him, and more importantly the team Rodman represented, loss. He persuaded his way into winning the match. Piper came out of the match with even more heat than before with other wrestlers for selective selling for certain wrestlers...

TORCH #433: WCW NEWSWIRE

Yikes!

I'm thinking that someone on the booking committe (or someone else who heard) was passing along an early, early, early draft of the finish... and Wade kinda bought it as being a finish that stuck around for a while. It's pretty much impossible to believe given how Benoit was being pushed, and how the rest of them were being pushed.

John

It's pretty much impossible to believe given how Benoit was being pushed, and how the rest of them were being pushed.

Jarrett was a couple of months away from the U.S. Title, and McMichael was winning it from Jarrett at the final Clash. So yeah, you could argue that Chris was actually the bottom ranked member of Team Piper.

The original finish of Uncensored was Chris Benoit winning the main event for Piper's team, not Hulk Hogan for the NWO. Hogan contended before the match that all of the media that went to the event didn't come to watch him, and more importantly the team Rodman represented, loss. He persuaded his way into winning the match. Piper came out of the match with even more heat than before with other wrestlers for selective selling for certain wrestlers...

TORCH #433: WCW NEWSWIRE

Yikes!

I'm thinking that someone on the booking committe (or someone else who heard) was passing along an early, early, early draft of the finish... and Wade kinda bought it as being a finish that stuck around for a while. It's pretty much impossible to believe given how Benoit was being pushed, and how the rest of them were being pushed.

John

I can buy Team Piper being originally booked to go over as they seemed to be setting up for Hogan-Piper in a cage, which was what Piper's winning stipulation was. But like you say, Benoit wasn't being pushed at that level. If anything, it would probably have been Piper being the sole survivor.

I think if Team Piper was winning, it would have been Piper rather than Benoit as the fleshed out the plans. Chris just didn't have a lot of shit going on at the time that made you think he would get a main eventish push as a singles (which Lex did get).

John

If you look beyond that PPV. Benoit clearly wasn't on Meng's level for their first match. It wasn't until he had to beat every member of the Dungeon of Doom to get to Sullivan that he was pushed as having a shot against Meng. So I find it hard to believe that he was going to get the win over the top guys in the nWo before then.

In response to a suggestion that Rey Mysterio might be the greatest of all time:

http://www.rspwfaq.com/2011/08/28/rey-the-goat/

Uh, I didn’t know there was a movement towards technicians or against high-flyers in the first place. I’ve long considered Randy Savage to be probably the greatest all-around wrestler, and he mixed high-flying with brawling. I have nothing against Rey, but I’d say wrestling mostly the same type of match over and over and roiding himself to the point of explosion kind of hurts his chances.

:blink:

In response to a suggestion that Rey Mysterio might be the greatest of all time:

http://www.rspwfaq.com/2011/08/28/rey-the-goat/

Uh, I didn’t know there was a movement towards technicians or against high-flyers in the first place. I’ve long considered Randy Savage to be probably the greatest all-around wrestler, and he mixed high-flying with brawling. I have nothing against Rey, but I’d say wrestling mostly the same type of match over and over and roiding himself to the point of explosion kind of hurts his chances.

:blink:

This isn't the worst part, as the message he's responding to implies that Keith actually believes Kurt Angle carried Rey Mysterio to a good match. Yikes.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rspwfaq.com/2011/09/16/my-william-shatner-moment/

very professional and kind

why would Scott let this be posted on a primarily wrestling themed site?

this is coming from the same man who said you were retarded if you liked HHH/Taker at Mania and spot by spot critiqued the match

Also the same guy who proclaimed that Gordy slamming the cage door on Kerry's head (you know, the angle that set WCCW on fire) was a horrible booking idea.