Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Myth Busters

MikeCampbell

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought KICKWHATMSTUNNER was a CRZ creation. He used to have running gags like that.

Raymond Stereo is the one I remember the most.

Another myth is that all luchadores are high flyers or cruiserweights or wear masks. People in the wrestling business probably still think that those three adjectives are the same as saying "luchadore" or "lucha libre".

Regarding Blackman and Shamrock again...People to this day talk about their 1997 days like it was really their rookie year. I hear it on podcasts to this day. "Shamrock was still finding his comfort zone..." and "Blackman was still very green here".

It is strange seeing "Blackman" listed in all these Universal Wrestling (Hamada) Federation and other lucha shows. I've seen THAT Blackman wrestle so I know the difference mentally. Still...reading about "Blackman" in lucha settings paints a funny mental image.

What about Bob & Janice Carter being billionaires? I have never seen any concrete proof of this. I don't doubt they are wealthy, but that wealthy? Everything about Panda and TNA is so private, the speculation sounds like those inaccurate celebritynetworth.com-type reports.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not a myth. It was a joke at the time. Which folks seem to take way too seriously. John

Myths become reality to people when the joke gets passed on to second, third, and fourth hand reports. I definitely knew of the Bret Hart "five moves of doom" as a serious complaint when I started talking wrestling online.

No doubt. It was a complaint by people who (i) were too dense to get that it was a joke, and (ii) too dense to actually track whether Bret did it the same five moves in the same order in every match.

That's a common theme about myths: Dumb People.

There's that, and also the real human tendency to accept something as true if you hear it repeated enough. Like how the next generation of wrestling fans will probably grow up accepting the WWE version of history since it's likely all they're going to hear unless they happen to stumble across a forum like this.

There's that, and also the real human tendency to accept something as true if you hear it repeated enough.

Technical name for this is the "availability cascade".

If you're interested in this area, you can lose an hour or two browsing the links on this Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

I'd recommend Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow too, which I've pimped now more times than I can remember.

Like how the next generation of wrestling fans will probably grow up accepting the WWE version of history since it's likely all they're going to hear unless they happen to stumble across a forum like this.

We've already seen that: there was a generation of fans who started watching the WWF in the 80s post-Expansion and accepted Vince's version of History. Some eventually stumbled upon the truth, while plenty of others never did nor never cared.

Heck, we have a generation of fans who buy all the nonsense in Shoot Interviews and Shoot Books.

What can one do...

Like how the next generation of wrestling fans will probably grow up accepting the WWE version of history since it's likely all they're going to hear unless they happen to stumble across a forum like this.

We've already seen that: there was a generation of fans who started watching the WWF in the 80s post-Expansion and accepted Vince's version of History. Some eventually stumbled upon the truth, while plenty of others never did nor never cared.

Heck, we have a generation of fans who buy all the nonsense in Shoot Interviews and Shoot Books.

What can one do...

I just have the image in 20 years of El Hijo del JDW (renting the gimmick of course) attempting to set the record straight in a future full of people who solidly believe WCW was run by meanies who only wanted to rob food from the McMahon family's table.

I just have the image in 20 years of El Hijo del JDW (renting the gimmick of course) attempting to set the record straight in a future full of people who solidly believe WCW was run by meanies who only wanted to rob food from the McMahon family's table.

I read that as memes not meanies. That's the world of the future.

I am more troubled by the tendency of the IWC to think that every match needs a structure reminiscing of old Crockett matches or NWA world title matches in AJPW. Watch some 50s, watch some old Euro and enjoy Inoki and Hogan trading lock ups after near falls.

The majority of the "IWC" is made up of WWF/WWE Fans. They're perfectly happy with the structure of the WWF/WWE matches, could give a shit about Crockett, don't know what AJPW is, will never watch Euro, couldn't be paid to watch Inoki, and are pefectly fine watching Hogan lock up with Paul Orndorff or the Big Bossman.

It's a myth that the posters here, or similar ones elsewhere, represent anything in the "IWC" other than a niche within a niche within a niche.

I am more troubled by the tendency of the IWC to think that every match needs a structure reminiscing of old Crockett matches or NWA world title matches in AJPW. Watch some 50s, watch some old Euro and enjoy Inoki and Hogan trading lock ups after near falls.

The majority of the "IWC" is made up of WWF/WWE Fans. They're perfectly happy with the structure of the WWF/WWE matches, could give a shit about Crockett, don't know what AJPW is, will never watch Euro, couldn't be paid to watch Inoki, and are pefectly fine watching Hogan lock up with Paul Orndorff or the Big Bossman.

It's a myth that the posters here, or similar ones elsewhere, represent anything in the "IWC" other than a niche within a niche within a niche.

For once, I agree with jdw fully. Go look at r/squaredcircle, for example. I mean, let's be blunt here. The most popular wrestling podcast is likely Grantland's Cheap Heat.

yea, somethingawful is about as hardcore as most places get. and while you have a MOTYC thread and a puro thread there, the bulk of the discussion is WWE and the bulk of *that* discussion is bitching about the booking. one of my friends gets mocked there for rating G1 matches ***1/4, because to them that's the rating you give to del rio raw matches. meltzer orthodoxy is as far as they ever get there.

For once, I agree with jdw fully.

Me too. He's totally right.

While we're on the topic of phrases used to describe a wrestler's offense, what is the "wham" supposed to represent in KICK WHAM STUNNER?

I do believe that it's a Scott Keith thing. Austin would do the kick to the gut, and it could completely stun them so he could hit the stunner. When HHH started using the kick, that's when he adopted Kick What Pedigree.

Thought of one. Randy Savage did not voice himself on Family Guy as it is often claimed. Someone else voiced Randy (only had 1 line, didn't sound that much like him) and Randy's name is not in the closing credits. This was the ep where Cleveland broke up with his wife. A lot of obits claimed he did a voice on Family Guy. He was on King of the Hill (not playing himself) once tho. It's kinda a loose myth, but has spilled into wrestling circles.