Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really, there's only one top notch WWE source left in this cold, harsh world.

Please don't bring the DVDRness. Barely know anyone in WWE tbh. Just NXT and the Indies. Never ever stated otherwise.

Enough to know everyone fans and especially the media are PROFOUNDLY sleeping on the WWN China tour, what it is going to mean in the not so long run and the degree the ball is rolling on it. Including what has been agreed as of tonight too. I get scoops from CHINA.

From the paragraph on Teddy Long's shoot interview in the current issue:

Wrestling was always way behind the times on that one because that [the n-word] was a business term for black wrestlers through the 80s, long after it was considered unacceptable pretty much everywhere else.

That is absolutely fucking insane. What the hell?

So reading the latest back issue up on the site (Fritz Von Erich bio issue), and I came across an interesting tidbit I've never heard before. It's been mentioned numerous times how David was being groomed as the next NWA champ, but here it's mentioned that one of the key factors that was never answered was that Fritz just suddenly stopped pushing for it even after there was some idea in place for it to happen. I wonder if that was because plans started being made for the first Starrcade, or was word getting out about the boys' partying and the NWA board put the kibosh on it?

Just speculating, but if David had won the championship he would have had to do shots in all the other NWA territories, leaving him off of some of Fritz's cards. Considering how well WCCW was drawing at the time, Fritz might have figured that losing the services of one of his top stars for certain weekends wasn't worth whatever they would gain from having David win the title. What happens when they need David for that crucial Thanksgiving or Christmas show and the NWA board wants to book the champ in Kansas City?

When you think there's nothing that could lower your opinion on Fritz Von Erich, there's the story in that bio how he was living vicariously through Kerry's high school discus career to the point of making sure he had access to steroids in 10th grade.

As horrible and irresponsible as that sounds, and it is, weren't steroids legal back then and/or its effects not widely as known?

Read the first section of the latest WON. Anyone else notice this flub:

He then called for a referee, and it was Scott Armstrong, who hadn’t been on television since the angle where he was let go as a referee. He counted to two, and stopped because music played. Cena came out. Both Rollins and Ziggler had to lay dead for three or four minutes. It wasn’t logical, but the Sting debut overrode logical completely.

Dave also put up a listing of the biggest North American names of the last 40 years who have never stepped foot in a WWF/E ring, now that Sting has. Sorry if I'm cutting and pasting too much:

With Sting stepping foot in a WWE ring, as far as wrestlers from the last 40 years, the biggest names never to do so that worked in North America would be Ole Anderson, Gary Hart (who was at a show and scheduled to start in the 80s, had a disagreement with agent Chief Jay Strongbow, and walked out), L.A. Park, Bobby Eaton, Jushin Liger, Love Machine, Kinji Shibuya, Pepper Gomez, Bob Armstrong, Great Muta, Dutch Savage, Blue Demon, Wilbur Snyder, Magnum T.A., Nikita Koloff, Gori Guerrero, El Santo, El Solitario, Danny Hodge, Abdullah the Butcher, Nick Bockwinkel (who technically did work in the ring, as he spent some time there as an agent as one of the guys breaking up fights but was never identified, even when Bobby Heenan was doing commentary, which was always awkward, but I don’t believe he ever had a match with the company) and Fritz Von Erich. So as far as the biggest star of the last 40 years to never work WWF/E, you’d have to go with Fritz, Abdullah, Bockwinkel, Santo, Demon and Solitario.

I know Bockwinkel did the Meadowlands legends battle royal in 1987. I think Hodge was in the ring on Raw once for one of those Jim Ross tribute days. While Magnum TA, Bob Armstong and Abdullah have made WWE related appearances, I don't think they were ever in the ring.

I'm thinking Chris Adams, Gino Hernandez, Scott Norton and maybe Jimmy Garvin (I know he did the World Class DVD, but has he even been in-ring?) could also be added (in terms of notable names, not like The Gambler in WCW). Anyone else?

Norton worked a one-off house show in '94 or early '95, doing a job for Bob Holly of all things.

I don't know if it counts, but Garvin did a podium interview in late '92 as part of a TV taping tryout, with the possibility of him taking a job as a TV talking head or some other sort of non-wrestling personality. It's possible they looked at him for the slot taken by Jerry Lawler.

What are his qualifications for having worked in NA? Because you could either include all of Chono, Hashimoto, Jumbo, Kawada, Kobashi, and Misawa, or not include them and throw Liger out because of the Summit '90 show.

Also, and it's obscenely obscure so no fault to Dave, but Abby had a WWWF match against Lil' Abner Osbourne in 1972, though it took me under a minute of research to find it, unless that goes out with the bathwater because it was still Vince Sr.'s company.