Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

I don't know the answer to that question. Possibly? I think it's a testament to Dave's credibility that he is held to a higher standard. He's kept his integrity covering professional wrestling for 30 years. Think about all that entails and how admirable that is. So when something like this happens, it stands out a lot more than it would if he had a track record of this sort of thing.

For those who scoff at this because it's just wrestling, remember that Dave has covered rapes, murders, Congressional hearings, sex scandals, drug-related deaths, domestic violence, suicide and far more -- and in many cases involving people who knew very well on a personal level.

Exactly. So taking a one-off kayfabe commentary gig would suddenly invalidate that and impugn his credibility? It's ludicrous.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it turned out that Meltzer has actually been on WWE's payroll for the last 30 years and they use him to plant stories......I still wouldn't care.

That's wonderful, but please stop trolling.

No, really. Not trolling. Just legitimately don't take my pro wrestling reporting seriously enough to be concerned if a reporter does commentary for a wrestling show. I'm honestly shocked that this upsets anyone.

If it turned out that Meltzer has actually been on WWE's payroll for the last 30 years and they use him to plant stories......I still wouldn't care.

No, really. Not trolling. Just legitimately don't take my pro wrestling reporting seriously enough to be concerned if a reporter does commentary for a wrestling show. I'm honestly shocked that this upsets anyone.

I'm not upset.

However, if the top tv reporter and critic started working for fox, what would you think? Would you want to read what they had to say about any other network then?

I'm not upset.

However, if the top tv reporter and critic started working for fox, what would you think? Would you want to read what they had to say about any other network then?

About as much as I would otherwise.

I don't know the answer to that question. Possibly? I think it's a testament to Dave's credibility that he is held to a higher standard. He's kept his integrity covering professional wrestling for 30 years. Think about all that entails and how admirable that is. So when something like this happens, it stands out a lot more than it would if he had a track record of this sort of thing.

For those who scoff at this because it's just wrestling, remember that Dave has covered rapes, murders, Congressional hearings, sex scandals, drug-related deaths, domestic violence, suicide and far more -- and in many cases involving people who knew very well on a personal level.

Exactly. So taking a one-off kayfabe commentary gig would suddenly invalidate that and impugn his credibility? It's ludicrous.

It really isn't ludicrous to say a reporter would harm his credibility by taking a paying promotional gig for a company he covers. Again, this is really basic ethical stuff in journalism. What if Dave took the job and then a wrestler died or was seriously injured on 1/4 because of some promotional negligence by NJPW? You'd have the most respected reporter in wrestling suddenly unfit to cover a major story on the second biggest wrestling promotion in the world. Is that scenario unlikely? Sure, but those are the kinds of instances we guard against by not creating the appearance of conflict.

Now, Dave didn't pursue the job, so this is all theoretical. And it's certainly not anything to get heated about. But as someone who has to deal with these kinds of issues in everyday life, I find the line here to be clear.

It really isn't ludicrous to say a reporter would harm his credibility by taking a paying promotional gig for a company he covers. Again, this is really basic ethical stuff in journalism. What if Dave took the job and then a wrestler died or was seriously injured on 1/4 because of some promotional negligence by NJPW? You'd have the most respected reporter in wrestling suddenly unfit to cover a major story on the second biggest wrestling promotion in the world. Is that scenario unlikely? Sure, but those are the kinds of instances we guard against by not creating the appearance of conflict.

If New Japan wanted to do some entrance on the show where a dude comes down from the ceiling and another Over the Edge type incident happens, do you really think Dave couldn't credibly cover that story just because he got ONE night's pay to do ONE night's announcing?

To me...the NJPW part isn't the part that would be scary because we all know how Dave feels about them but it's the part about being on the payroll for Jeff Jarrett's vanity project/ponzi scheme that is scarier because we all know that some bullshit will be coming down the pike involving GFW and his credibility reporting about it would definitely be questioned.

I actually wouldn't have liked Dave as an announcer because I don't think he would've been that good. Too much "know what I mean?"s and stuttering for my liking.

I think his credibility covering that particular story would be lessened, yes.

wow, I don't see that happening at all. I mean, there's no doubt some people would question his credibility on the issue but I think a big majority would side with Dave.

I think the fact that Dave has had to bite his tongue to a certain degree about Matt Striker's abilities as an announcer in the fallout demonstrates that this was a clear conflict of interest. Your mileage may vary whether it was something to be seriously concerned about under the circumstances. But regarding KrisZ's point above, clearly in such a circumstance Jarrett would lean on Dave to soften his report on the story, because that's what a wrestling promoter would do in that situation.

Now, Dave didn't pursue the job, so this is all theoretical. And it's certainly not anything to get heated about. But as someone who has to deal with these kinds of issues in everyday life, I find the line here to be clear.

It's more like a media member playing themselves in a quick movie cameo. It doesn't mean they can't ever mention the media conglomerate that produced the film without cynicism and suspicion.

Dave was super negative on Bill Watts WCW reading back the 92 Observers including this little blurb about the hiring of Greg Gagne:

Greg Gagne was introduced to the guys backstage at the Center Stage tapings on 12/7. He's expected to become a new member of the creative team. Rumors there will be another key addition. If you ask what Greg's qualifications are considering that even though the AWA was a very successful promotion at one time, it's television and overall product was always years behind the rest of the country and it only thrived when it was a monopoly promotion in a town and collapsed under competition many years ago in all its markets. However, Greg was a third-string quarterback when he played college football and the son of a famous wrestler. That should make him qualified for any job in this business.

He gets worse into '93. It's a drag to read.....

To be fair though, from what I remember 1993 wasn't a great year for WCW.

I know, but nothing good to say with Vader, Flair, the Blonds, Windham, Steamboat on the cards.....? To be fair, there's a lot of times when wrestling looks worse or better at the time than looking at it some time later