Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure that Dave has said at one point or another that the Lions and Super Bowl attendance figures were worked.

I take that as a Jumbo Was Lazy style point of his: shifting his points after folks point out an error.

There isn't any evidence that the *capacity* of the Silver Dome was worked for years by by the Lions, or that the NFL worked the attendance of Super Bowl XVI. It's not like it set a new record for the most people to watch a Super Bowl. One can look at the Super Dome to see how much the NFL gives a shit about cooking their attendance figures:

IV - New Orleans - 80,562

VI - New Orleans - 81,023

IX - New Orleans - 80,997

XII - New Orleans - 75,583

XV - New Orleans - 76,135

XX - New Orleans - 73,818

XXIV - New Orleans - 72,919

XXXI - New Orleans - 72,301

XXXVI - New Orleans - 72,922

They've never given a shit about breaking the high of VI. Those were all wrapped around the one trip to Pontiac. They draw 8K less now, and don't care.

And no... I don't buy everything the NFL serves up.

John

Oh, I know, just pointing it out.

That said, I don't think Dave would make it up, and he's made it clear what the paid (75,700) vs turnstile (78,300) was. Is it possible that the number was worked down internally for some reason? I guess, and it's at least a little weird that they're both nice round numbers while the "worked" number isn't.

Maybe billing him from "Belfast, Ireland" is too simplistic

He actually was billed as being from "Belfast, Northern Ireland".

Actually, for much (if not all) of his WWE run, they said "Belfast, Ireland."

Was he really? I could have sworn otherwise.

I never got the whole "Cryme Tyme is racist" deal. Cryme Tyme was Homeboy Shopping Network from "In Living Color". And Cryme Tyme was dopey. And it's not as if the WWE was/is the only TV to make heroes out of negative Black stereotypes. BET is far worse.

If they had been heels and the commentators were upset over those thieving black men, then ok.

FWIW, this was the statement released on WWE.com prior to their debut:

Tonight a new tag team, Cryme Tyme, will be introduced to the RAW audience. In an effort to humor and entertain our fans the tag team known as Cryme Tyme will be parodying racial stereotypes.

Shad Gaspard and JTG do outlandish, outrageous "stunts" to ready themselves for tag team action on RAW. This attempt at Saturday Night Live like humor is bound to entertain audiences of all ethnic derivations.

We hope you enjoy the weekly adventures of Cryme Tyme.

Make of that what you will.

That's some really awful "cover our ass" shit, considering it was "In Living Color" they were ripping off. :lol:

Oh, I know, just pointing it out.

That said, I don't think Dave would make it up, and he's made it clear what the paid (75,700) vs turnstile (78,300) was. Is it possible that the number was worked down internally for some reason? I guess, and it's at least a little weird that they're both nice round numbers while the "worked" number isn't.

Not sure why the WWF would work it internally. The round numbers are odd, but if someone pointed it out to Dave he'd say he was simply given round numbers, not the detailed numbers.

John

From today's update:

--Somehow a back speaker feed with Kevin Dunn giving instructions for last night's NXT show has made its way around the Internet. It was on Youtube earlier today although WWE may have had it taken down by now.

Please tell me someone grabbed this or it's uploaded somewhere else.

From today's update:

--Somehow a back speaker feed with Kevin Dunn giving instructions for last night's NXT show has made its way around the Internet. It was on Youtube earlier today although WWE may have had it taken down by now.

Please tell me someone grabbed this or it's uploaded somewhere else.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjE5ODQzNjEy.html

Kevin Dunn's buck teeth really do effect his speech.

Delete goodhelmet if neccessary

Kevin says "kill the ballyhoo" as the music is fading. I wonder if he's the one who introduced that term into the WWE backstage lexicon (hence the "PYRO AND BALLYHOO" in leaked Raw scripts) or if that's a Vince-ism that he picked up along the way.

EDIT: Oh wait, that was the TNA script. Has "ballyhoo" taken over the entire wrestling world?

Russo worked for Dunn, so it's a given that he would continue using the same terminology that was used back when Russo was a Super Genuis.

John

As well as the general WWE worship

Kevin Dunn's buck teeth really do effect his speech.

Can't help to think about Cornette's hilarious impersonation of Dunn. He's right on the money.

Also, I never saw that NXT program before. So, that is what WWE is about in 2010 ? Scary.

No NXT is an alternative reality, Cole and Matthews legit admitted that the wedding wasnt even real.

That was amazing.....how does that happen in this day and age? It's not like people are still able to capture production feeds from WWE events with one of those C-Band dishes like you used to (I assume WWE has protected that shit by now).

Also pretty funny to hear him during that match calling back to the truck to edit out the botched corner spot and not even paying attention to the finish.

That was amazing.....how does that happen in this day and age? It's not like people are still able to capture production feeds from WWE events with one of those C-Band dishes like you used to (I assume WWE has protected that shit by now).

Also pretty funny to hear him during that match calling back to the truck to edit out the botched corner spot and not even paying attention to the finish.

I talked to someone pretty recently who was able to get a wildfeed of Raw on a KU Band dish, and the files released on the torrent sites are labeled as HDTV rips. I don't think someone in WWE would be a member of a capture group with this of all things being the only "special" release.. Plus, the release wasn't labelled as having Dunn's feed. It was pointed out in the comments and a "proper" rip was released by others later on, presumably from a cable or consumer dish rip. It probably went out on an unencrypted feed and the capper wasn't paying much attention.

No NXT is an alternative reality, Cole and Matthews legit admitted that the wedding wasnt even real.

An alternative reality ?

Ok, this makes it even worse.

We got a random Dusty promo, a Million Dollar Man appearance, and Vicki carrying on the time honored tradition of all cakes shown on a wrestling program ending up in someone's face. To me, that's kind of awesome.

This is great

--Whether it's an act or not, Josh Koscheck the last few weeks, particularly last night, is so far and away the best heel in the industry that I can't come up with anyone within a few light years of him.

I could give a really obvious answer as to who the best heel in the business is but someone might accuse me of bias, and we can't have that.

That said, Del Rio is still a better heel than AN ACTUAL FUCKING PERSON WHO HAPPENS TO BE A DICK BEING HIMSELF.

LeBron is clearly better a playing heel then Koshchek, will draw a shit ton more money at it too.

LeBron is in the same "industry" as Koshchek: Sports.

The sports world has plenty of better heels who draw more money than Josh. Kobe is a better heel than Koshchek. How many people watched the Lakers-Celtic final, especially Game 7?

John

Do you really put Garnett ahead of LeBron as the top "heel"? I mean, he did just (allegedly) call a dude with a disease that causes him to have no body hair a "cancer patient". But LeBron had people burning shit in the streets. That's some Santo turn-level shit right there. Are the Yankees the top heel stable? Is Ozzie Guillen a great heel manager?

This is so dumb, but fun.

I really don't understand the "THIS IS A SPORT"..."THIS IS NOT A SPORT" problem that Dave has. I understand why he covers MMA, I get why he sometimes seems to not care about wrestling but is in love with MMA, I get all that stuff.

I just don't get why he goes on about MMA as being part of Pro Wrestling and not being a part of the world of actual sports.

That out of the way, the current Bruno interview is as great as always.

That out of the way, the current Bruno interview is as great as always.

Yep. Some amazing stories. And Bruno seems to be the opposite of "bitter" indeed (I got the same impression from his shoot interview with Cornette). One of the most interesting wrestling people I've heard.

Kevin says "kill the ballyhoo" as the music is fading. I wonder if he's the one who introduced that term into the WWE backstage lexicon (hence the "PYRO AND BALLYHOO" in leaked Raw scripts) or if that's a Vince-ism that he picked up along the way.

EDIT: Oh wait, that was the TNA script. Has "ballyhoo" taken over the entire wrestling world?

What's doubly weird is that "ballyhoo" is a wrestling term that dates back to ye olden days when the papers used to describe promos. I assumed it had just been phased out, but I guess it hung on in some capacity.