Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They will never get nearly as much relative value out of her on the main roster. She matters so much more now and they need someone that matters in NXT with all the callups. It's a different crowd, one that is so in tune with her and an environment where she can be protected.

And there's plenty of examples of older male wrestlers who did the "childlike" gimmick at older ages; Eugene and Festus were only in their early 30s when they did those gimmicks, but their hairlines made them look middle-aged at the very least. The audience still bought it just fine, those guys were over. Hell, you could argue that Hacksaw Jim Duggan has been playing that kind of character for the past three decades.

He pointed out that Eugene and Festus had super short shelf lives. Eugene was basically done being effectively over within 6-12 months.

Also Bayley's not "childlike" in that sense. Dave is saying she has a "big sister" connection with younger fans that won't be the same when she's in her mid-30's.

Dave is overreacting then. Bayley likely gets called up by SummerSlam or Survivor Series - the day after WrestleMania 33 at the latest - because she's currently going nowhere in NXT right now. She and Finn Balor (who I'm not even all that enamored of) desperately need call-ups.

Balor is likely putting over Nak and then joining the main roster, perhaps even for the draft show. Just because Bayley hasn't been featured on TV much since Dallas doesn't mean she's going nowhere. She was just in the background so they could do a match between Asuka and Jax. To me it's obvious that she will face Asuka at the Summerslam weekend show and may even regain the strap

Enzo is tailor made for current WWE, with his ability to be entertaining with the usual crap writing he's given to work with, yet still you get the impression Vince still just sees him as the guy paired up with the tall guy he really wants to push.

Enzo writes his own material. And there's a shelf life on "big sister?" Seriously?

It sounds like this stereotypical view that kids look at something in the 30's as senior citizens who remember the ice age.

All you have to do is look at the fan base of NXT to see how wrong this is. She is probably more popular younger people now then ever before. Now whether that translates to the main roster it all depends on Vince's processing. Assuming she ends up on RAW.

That's amazingly stupid. Now, if Bayley gets called up when she's 35..ok.

And this whole "Bayley can only be inspirational to little girls" thing is so amazingly misogynistic and short sighted.

Has anyone actually said that?

He's not saying anything he hasn't said about men. He's said multiple times the Von Erichs would have never gotten over if they were in their late 20s during the height of World Class. He used to also make the point that when Kidman tried to look more like an adult, he completely lost what got him over in WCW initially. It's not a new point, and it's not unique to Bayley.

This is obviously anecdotal but I do think there has been a shift in the last decade or so of who or what an audience will find attractive. I've mentioned before that I went to a house show in 09 during the second DX reunion run and pretty much every teenage girl was wearing their shirts. Two guys that were in their 40s. Robert Downey and Johnny Depp are in their 50s yet teen girls still seem to lust for them. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and it's wishful thinking but age doesn't seem to be important as it once was

If Bayley were only over with young girls then yeah her big sister character would have a relatively short shelf life. However, she's over with everyone from all demographics in front of the NXT crowds, and she happens to be a really damn good pro wrestler. She's a naturally great underdog, and she doesn't need to have a youthful wide eyed character to pull it off.

Wish I had seen this earlier. Let me add something. if someone wants to spin it off into another thread, that's fine.

Are wrestling characters necessarily the same age as their "shoot/IRL" ages?

I think for the most part, they are the same, even though it's rarely explicitly said on broadcasts. But there may be some exceptions. The woman who plays Bayley just turned 27 IRL. But is the Bayley character 27? Maybe not. It happens plenty in movies/TV. Look at the original 90210 with a few 30somethings IRL playing high schoolers.

I think the AJ Styles WWE character comes off a bit younger as well. When Abyss started doing promos in TNA, he was late 30s IRL, but came off like someone in their late 20s to me.

Wish I had seen this earlier. Let me add something. if someone wants to spin it off into another thread, that's fine.

Are wrestling characters necessarily the same age as their "shoot/IRL" ages?

I think for the most part, they are the same, even though it's rarely explicitly said on broadcasts. But there may be some exceptions. The woman who plays Bayley just turned 27 IRL. But is the Bayley character 27? Maybe not. It happens plenty in movies/TV. Look at the original 90210 with a few 30somethings IRL playing high schoolers.

I think the AJ Styles WWE character comes off a bit younger as well. When Abyss started doing promos in TNA, he was late 30s IRL, but came off like someone in their late 20s to me.

I'd say look at the DX revival in 2006 where Triple H and Shawn were the dorky Dads trying to act cool and with the "hip" humor that they did some 8-10 years earlier.

But then again Judd Apatow and Kevin Smith still pepper their film and podcast projects with the same scatogorical sex and drug humor that they did years ago.

Its like Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused. "I get older, they stay the same age!"

While it might help NXT to keep Bailey down there for a while, does it help her as a person? I imagine that even if she doesn't get over on the main roster (and if she doesn't, it probably wouldn't be her fault), she'd still be making way more $$ than she would be headlining NXT shows.

I'm actually really worried about Bayley on that front, as her whole character arc from naive little girl to strong champion happened on a show most of the fanbase don't watch, and I think a lot of that will be lost on an audience who might not get the hugging thing, the tube men, or why she connected with people in the first place.

It might be a little strange given that the Horsewomen are already up, but I kind of hope they revert back to her old character just a little bit so they can educate the larger audience on it. There's no reason why she still couldn't be an excited little fangirl when she meets John Cena or whoever, and it wouldn't be hard to have Charlotte claim she "didn't deserve" to be called up because she was "good... for someone in NXT" but not main roster level.

A condensed version of that story I think could do wonders for her, otherwise she might end up like a lot of NXT names where their whole persona doesn't translate because the wider audience hasn't lived through it.