Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's wrong with Baszler? She's a hell of a worker for her level of experience, and she has the kind of badass aura that can't be manufactured.

i compare her to volk han and she as worker misses the mark by far in compare to volk who was able to do as he did untrained

I'm not really sure comparing Shayna Baszler to Volk Han is entirely fair to Baszler. I mean, I guess I can kind of see why you'd want to, but Han is one of the very best that's ever done it and a ridiculous outlier. It's a huge bar to reach and I don't think you can call out anybody for not being as good as Volk Han straight out the gate. I literally don't think there's ever been anybody who has.

Also, Han never worked pro-style matches. For all we know, he could've been another Tadao Yasuda in that setting.

Hum… My guess is that he would have been awesome. There's no reason why not, really, considering how out of this world great he was. Plus his selling and maneurisms were super dramatic and quite pro-stylish-friendly. Yasuda sucked at both shoot-style and pro-style.

For now, Bazsler is basically Don Frye, which is good enough if she's booked right and got the right girls with her inside the ring. She's not young either, so with her it's all a matter of how she's presented and handled. Well, actually, the same goes with Rousey. I wonder if her act won't be hurt by the fact Rousey got signed actually, or if she'll get forgotten about a bit because of this.

I think she already has one of the most important aspects on-point: presence.

She looks and carries herself as this ultimate badass. Even if she isn't experienced enough (and to be fair, she's already great for someone with that little time in the ring), I'd argue she has more presence than someone like Ember Moon, even if the latter IS better in the ring.

As for Han, this video is quite the segment. Could work in a pro-style federation, yeah.

Like the fricking women's Rumble was an all-time great match?

Yes.

What a world we live in where WWE's revisionist "Our women's division has always been a trendsetter in Sports Entertainment" bull is treated like gospel. Sorry, but the Molly Holly, Ivory, Jazz, Victoria 2003 era matches were a joke and the 2008 era Michelle McCool, Layla, Torrie Wilson, Kelly Kelly, Candace Michelle matches were as well.

I'm not going to pretend that because that since the Rumble was a "history of the Diva's revolution", it makes up for sloppy work and super forced storytelling.

What a world we live in where WWE's revisionist "Our women's division has always been a trendsetter in Sports Entertainment" bull is treated like gospel. Sorry, but the Molly Holly, Ivory, Jazz, Victoria 2003 era matches were a joke and the 2008 era Michelle McCool, Layla, Torrie Wilson, Kelly Kelly, Candace Michelle matches were as well.

I'm not going to pretend that because that since the Rumble was a "history of the Diva's revolution", it makes up for sloppy work and super forced storytelling.

Pretty sure no one is saying those matches suddenly became great, what kind of strawman is that?

The Women's Rumble was indeed great, and if anything, it only drew MORE criticisms to those eras you mentioned, because the Rumble made it very apparent that they *had* quality in the Women's roster back then, but they chose not to treat them seriously.

Some of Han's Hapkido was carny as fuck and everyone bought it regardless. I can only assume he'd have been amazing working pro-style. I mean, he's Han.

nope he was fully untraied before going in to rINGS is only training was Sambo

I'm aware that he came in raw and that he was a Sambist. My point was that he'd sometimes do things that looked sort of carny for a shoot style promotion - like some of those Hapkido throws - yet everyone bought into it anyway because he was Volk Han and he was incredible. I don't doubt he'd have been able to translate all of that into a pro-style setting, is what I was getting at.

Pretty sure no one is saying those matches suddenly became great, what kind of strawman is that?

The Women's Rumble was indeed great, and if anything, it only drew MORE criticisms to those eras you mentioned, because the Rumble made it very apparent that they *had* quality in the Women's roster back then, but they chose not to treat them seriously.

This. No one ever said that all of a sudden, the WWE had been that great haven for women's wrestling forever. The Rumble match itself ? Considering who they had work with (by that I mean, all the "legends" that included a lot of mediocre to legit terrible workers like Kelly and Wilson), it was most probably the best booked Rumble since the 1992 one. Yeah, great match.

Some of Han's Hapkido was carny as fuck and everyone bought it regardless. I can only assume he'd have been amazing working pro-style. I mean, he's Han.

nope he was fully untraied before going in to rINGS is only training was Sambo

I'm aware that he came in raw and that he was a Sambist. My point was that he'd sometimes do things that looked sort of carny for a shoot style promotion - like some of those Hapkido throws - yet everyone bought into it anyway because he was Volk Han and he was incredible. I don't doubt he'd have been able to translate all of that into a pro-style setting, is what I was getting at.

my stance on Ronda Shanyer and th e other two thye shoudl be like Han and come in Raw and sink or swim like most of RINGS russians did most did well in RINGS and most of came in RAW i thinl RONDA should have and maybe the oyther 2 of MMA grils will too

Yeah, it was the booking that really elevated the women's Rumble, though I thought most of the women did a very good job as well.

I also like a few of those mid 00s women's matches too, though the good ones were the exception rather than the rule.

A Rumble, more than anything else in wrestling, isnt about precision or hitting stuff cleanly or quick paced exchanges (or matwork, etc). Its about moments and surprises and character interactions that you dont often see. Its judged on its own standards.

A Rumble, more than anything else in wrestling, isnt about precision or hitting stuff cleanly or quick paced exchanges (or matwork, etc). Its about moments and surprises and character interactions that you dont often see. Its judged on its own standards.

i never rate battle royals so i dont think people should sicne the lack alot of key element in matchs that rate i on that form nay promotion

What was so great about the booking?

I watched it. It was "surprise" appearances by every legend who appeared on Raw the week before and otherwise it was a normal Rumble.

It's not rocket science. The fact that half the field weren't weekly talent meant that there could be fresh and novel interactions literally every few minutes. I'm not saying it was particularly difficult booking but frankly, neither were the 89-92 ones either. They were very much built on the novelty of seeing wrestlers who don't usually interact get to interact. It basically wrote itself but it was hugely different and enjoyable, something WWE really isn't able to offer us otherwise in 2018.

There was nothing brilliant or extraordinary about the action itself in the Women's Rumble, but the booking was absolutely on point. It's just a matter of timing and spacing out the surprise entrants enough to offer up some interesting situations or scenarios with the others. That's it.

It's definitely strengthened by the fact that the Rumble has been so badly booked and presented in the past few years as well. This one is a glowing masterpiece by comparison.

I know the argument will just go round and round so I'll stop, but to me it almost seemed like a high school play. It was very much a "performance" or exhibition and it didn't seem like an actual competitive match. Not even saying the men's was better, but Michelle McCool finally interacting with Sasha Banks didn't do it for me.

I just get so sick of the hyperbole thrown around. Nothing is allowed to be OK, everything is either the best or worst.

I know the argument will just go round and round so I'll stop, but to me it almost seemed like a high school play. It was very much a "performance" or exhibition and it didn't seem like an actual competitive match. Not even saying the men's was better, but Michelle McCool finally interacting with Sasha Banks didn't do it for me.

I just get so sick of the hyperbole thrown around. Nothing is allowed to be OK, everything is either the best or worst.

It was absolutely the best women's rumble of all time. You can't convince me otherwise.

Nothing is allowed to be OK, everything is either the best or worst.

Of course it is. I've been vocal about Nia Jaxx being ok at best in her role and getting way to much credit for the little she brings to the table. Not every WWE women match is great, very far from it. The Rumble and the EC matches surely were though.