Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

"And if you're one of those people who think Will Ospreay isn't any good you probably should avoid watching this match (ie Ospreay vs Okada) because it's gonna short-circuit your brain because it's freaking great."

Yeah. Sure. I will avoid it though, but for other reasons.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"And if you're one of those people who think Will Ospreay isn't any good you probably should avoid watching this match (ie Ospreay vs Okada) because it's gonna short-circuit your brain because it's freaking great."

Yeah. Sure. I will avoid it though, but for other reasons.

Hey, I hope I can enjoy this stuff that much when I'm almost 60?

Other than Ospreay screaming at every small submission move (arm twist, leg crank, etc), he was pretty reigned-in.

That's one other thing about him, he's godawful at selling because he oversells everything like a clown. His facials make Edge look like Misawa.

Like the fricking women's Rumble was an all-time great match?

Yes.

The women's Rumble has become my test to see if people are over rating women's matches. Because I thought it was one of the worst Rumble matches I ever saw. Which before would be 2009 (the one in Michigan).

I liked the Chamber match much more than the main event of the show. Which I found to be a slog to get thru until Reigns vs Braun closing stretch. But that was done to death last year.

I'm still pretty sure that Dave's crazy passion for NJPW and certain indy guys is because they're working a style he's always loved if you go back and read Observers dating to the 80s. But part of me wonders if he hit a stage at life where he realizes his life for 35 years has been consumed so much with watching pro wrestling and he's somehow compensating. I don't know, just a thought that I've had.

I don't believe so. FWIW, Meltz seems absolutely sincere and considering what style he has always put over, it absolutely makes sense. From Tiger Mask to the AAA luchadors & Sabu to ROH to current NJ. Yep. Totally makes sense.

The biggest, flashiest, dumbest wrestling possible (to the point that he misses so much nuance in even the stuff he watches).

100% Michael Bay.

Okada/Ospreay was pretty fantastic, though. It's not a Michael Bay wrestling match at all. It felt more like the Roman Reigns/AJ Styles matches than a typical New Japan main event. In fact, if Reigns and Styles had the exact same match move-for-move (or using equivalent moves like spear instead of Rainmaker), there'd probably be people on this board declaring it the greatest match in WWE history. Unfortunately, Ospreay continues to have the worst vocalizations in the history of wrestling.

Is anyone else having trouble with the F4W board? It says I entered an invalid username or password when I try to log in, but I have no trouble logging into the main website.

Okada/Ospreay was pretty fantastic, though. It's not a Michael Bay wrestling match at all. It felt more like the Roman Reigns/AJ Styles matches than a typical New Japan main event. In fact, if Reigns and Styles had the exact same match move-for-move (or using equivalent moves like spear instead of Rainmaker), there'd probably be people on this board declaring it the greatest match in WWE history.

This is why I've more or less given up discussing subjective topics on internet. It really does feel like most people like/dislike things for emotional reasons and then seek to justify their emotions after the fact, rather than judging things for what they are. When I see stuff like "I already know I won't like this match before watching it" or "I saw one gif and decided not to bother watching the whole thing" it really drives that point home to me.

I'd also say WWE has become so abjectly terrible and soul-less that it's kind of become the hip thing to praise it now, but that's just like, my opinion.

The observer readership is so heavily skewed towards njpw that this year's awards went pretty much as expected. With raw being worst show, and being he elite being 4th best TV show.

Reigns second most overrated?????

Njpw having the top five matches, four of them being omega matches, young bucks winning best tag team over he usos which is stupid but expected.

Roh comming in second for company of the year is head scratching. But not really a shock seen as it is njpw USA.

But hikeki Suzuki got a mention for best technical wrestler and my boy Kento got 5th place for wrestler of the year.

Rusev got most underrated/underused which is a good shout.

People voting on Meltzer/Alvarez talking points without actually watching the things they're voting on. Smackdown as a better show than Raw and Jericho as a top ten worker in the world in 2017 is hilarious. Did Jericho even work a match after May?

Jericho as a top ten worker in the world in 2017 is hilarious. Did Jericho even work a match after May?

He worked 35 matches last year

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=758&page=4&year=2017&promotion=1

I can't remember any of them getting anything above "that was decent" as thoughts on the matches.

He had the festival of friendship and one video on an njpw show that was about it in terms of things of note in the voting period the brawls with omega were after the voting period.

IIRC there was a decent Jericho TV match on Raw (voted worst show) against Reigns (voted second most overrated) so perhaps those voters are arguing that Jericho performed some sort of miracle in that match? Or he turned up in New Japan so he's automatically better than anyone in WWE except AJ.

I don't believe so. FWIW, Meltz seems absolutely sincere and considering what style he has always put over, it absolutely makes sense. From Tiger Mask to the AAA luchadors & Sabu to ROH to current NJ. Yep. Totally makes sense.

you forget all Modrn new Japan is King road style that is why Melzer like is so much