Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

He referred to her twitter handle, then referred to her as the woman thereafter, since he either didn’t know/didn’t want to use her name. What should he have referred to her as? Not being confrontational, just an actual question.

I could see calling her the alleged victim or accuser if the story was about the assault, but Elgin hasn’t been accused of any assault, so I can see trying to avoid confusion on that front.

It's pretty common in these situations to use a fake name, even if it's one created by the writer. "Jenna (not her real name)" or something. It protects the person's identity without stripping their humanity.

The issue here - or at least what I was talking about - was the lack of anonymity in this case. Apparently her real first name/what she goes by actually is Mo, so even that was out there already.

Just calling her Mo would have worked I assume, though I don’t think Meltzer ever uses first names only. Besides the point though...just another case of someone looking bad in a situation where everyone involved already does.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When, on another topic but yet still about women, Metlz was talking on his show about how basically people are overpraising some of the WWE women's matches, including the Chamber (which was "ok but not even close to the men's match"). Well… The way both him and Alvarez talk about this topic reeks of patronizing, especially when you the praise the fucking snoozefest main-event because they were a lot of kicking out of finishers…

When, on another topic but yet still about women, Metlz was talking on his show about how basically people are overpraising some of the WWE women's matches, including the Chamber (which was "ok but not even close to the men's match"). Well… The way both him and Alvarez talk about this topic reeks of patronizing, especially when you the praise the fucking snoozefest main-event because they were a lot of kicking out of finishers…

wwe womens stuf is stil at lest generation behind of Japan that is a fact both in overness nd in ring stuff

They seem to be way out from consensus on this one. I've seen no one else try to argue that the men's match was better than the women's.

Tbf, almost everything Alvarez says comes off as patronising to me.

I kind of agree that some of the women's stuff gets over praised especially if you have a decent amount of exposure to Joshi. Meltzer does frequently defend Baszler from criticism though.

I have had shitload of joshi exposure but I consider the HitC between Charlotte & Sasha last year as a comfortable MOTYC (and I'm not easy with throwing that moniker around). The Royal Rumble was great. The EC match was terrific. Some TNA stuff from 2008 was great too BTW. The current US women don't work like in the glory days of joshi but they have delivered legit great stuff, by any standart.

That being said, Bazsler is nothing special as far as in-ring work goes thus far (great character, ok in-ring especially for a so-called "shoot-style" worker). And Nia Jaxx is a second rate Eagle Sawaii (who herself was a tenth rate Bull Nakano) at best.

I really wish they had signed Piper Niven after the Mae Young because she's a far better version of Nia.

I don't care for Baszler either. She reminds me of all those shitty MMA guys that came through New Japan in the early 00s.

I like some of the current women's stuff a lot and feel some of the other stuff is a little overrated due to the novelty of it. The Hell in a Cell and Rumble were really good. I thought the EC was okay.

Well, the whole "Sasha Banks is a top 5 worker in the world" talking point (or something of that ilk) certainly was taking things a wee bit too far indeed. ;) But then again, everything fresh will benefit from that very fact. Right now, the women really are the only interesting thing to me on WWE TV (excluding some NXT stuff).

I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Niven from what I've seen in the MYC, but she's so much better than Nia on every level. Good call about Baszler. For now, she's a bit like Murakami to me : all attitude, not much depth in term of work. Funny Meltz would defend her work of all people. Well, we can guess why...

I wouldn't call Niven world class but she's a good heel and she has good offense. I liked her MYC match with Storm a lot. She's what I think everyone is sitting around waiting for Nia to grow into. Niven doesn't have the same raw athletic talent but she has more personality and a far better offense.

I kind of agree that some of the women's stuff gets over praised especially if you have a decent amount of exposure to Joshi. Meltzer does frequently defend Baszler from criticism though.

I have had shitload of joshi exposure but I consider the HitC between Charlotte & Sasha last year as a comfortable MOTYC (and I'm not easy with throwing that moniker around). The Royal Rumble was great. The EC match was terrific. Some TNA stuff from 2008 was great too BTW. The current US women don't work like in the glory days of joshi but they have delivered legit great stuff, by any standart.

That being said, Bazsler is nothing special as far as in-ring work goes thus far (great character, ok in-ring especially for a so-called "shoot-style" worker). And Nia Jaxx is a second rate Eagle Sawaii (who herself was a tenth rate Bull Nakano) at best.

volk han beazler is not ad she been trained han never was Nakano was never a shootist sawai was Nia is 100th rate Dump more like and i mean that in all ways in tv ratings draw way an nd inring way

I really wish they had signed Piper Niven after the Mae Young because she's a far better version of Nia.

I don't care for Baszler either. She reminds me of all those shitty MMA guys that came through New Japan in the early 00s.

I like some of the current women's stuff a lot and feel some of the other stuff is a little overrated due to the novelty of it. The Hell in a Cell and Rumble were really good. I thought the EC was okay.

murahama was good Barnett ajusted well opro wrestlingng Inoism was bad but most of the guys were fine its wa sjust the fucked ot bgod booking that made it bad

It doesn't surprise me that Meltzer would like the men's match better. It had more 'stuff' in it, faster-paced with more big moves and kickouts at 2 etc... That's what he likes. He's just not very good at imagining that some people have different opinions on what constitutes "good wrestling" so he thinks people must be over-rating other matches because it's women or something.

It doesn't surprise me that Meltzer would like the men's match better. It had more 'stuff' in it, faster-paced with more big moves and kickouts at 2 etc... That's what he likes. He's just not very good at imagining that some people have different opinions on what constitutes "good wrestling" so he thinks people must be over-rating other matches because it's women or something.

this is not right Minami toyota has 2nd most ***** matches of all time and she is female as much as she us disliked around here

It's funny, when people were going nuts about the NXT women's stuff a couple years ago I thought it was pretty overrated, but the women's stuff WWE does now is pretty compelling to me, despite being even more self-congratulatory. It's a bit rougher around the edges at time but it's somehow more compelling to me.

I also quite enjoy Viper and Bazler. The gold standard remains the classic joshi stuff, but that's an incredibly high bar to set.

Keller also preferred the Men's Chamber (****) to the Women's (***3/4).

I disagree with both of them.

There were enough people on here even that preferred the men.

Seems like some people bend over backward to praise the WWE women matches. Like the fricking women's Rumble was an all-time great match?

The Women's Revolution thing has been force-fed and now it's like a shame if someone rates their matches as ** or *** rather than ****+

It felt like the women's Rumble was immediately being overrated in the moment. But I can understand why. To me, it was more a masterful piece of booking than it was a great match. Don't get me wrong. The execution itself was solid. Nothing struck me as sloppy or out of place. Everyone worked hard, hit their notes, and got out of there okay. But the booking for their Rumble was on fucking point that night.

Fast forward to the Chamber, and yeah. The women's Chamber blew away anything the men did that night. It's not even close in my view.

this is not right Minami toyota has 2nd most ***** matches of all time and she is female as much as she us disliked around here

That doesn't contradict my point at all. Manami Toyota matches are exactly of the "had more 'stuff' in it, faster-paced with more big moves and kickouts at 2 etc..." style that Meltzer loves, so of course he throws all the stars at her.