Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found Dave's comments about ranking fighters being "ridiculous" to be brain numbing. It's both self evident that ranking *anything* subjectively is tough/difficult/goofy and of questionable value at times. On the other hand... we *all* do it. Not just in boxing/MMA, but damn near every facet of life. We've done it since we were kids.

Jesus... the whole WON HOF is built on that shit. Shawn being in/out is little more than that. Dave using Murdoch as a in/out dividing line is just that.

Match ratings?

Folks get defensive about the rankings? Ever seen Dave get defensive about Bret-Owen in the cage being *****? Same shit.

Absolutely impossible, stupid and irrelevant? Dave's made a half a career on doing just those type of "analysis" on things. The other half being "reporting".

I get Dave's point. Just not sure that he gets than in his over-the-top willingness to throw the concept of MMA rankings under the bus that it would be joined by his own "expert opinion" elements of the WON over the past 28 years as well.

John

Rating MMA fighters is ridiculous (even though I have to do it) because it's a game of inches, fighters in different groups fight with different rules and top guys don't fight each other.

I may be taking this out of context, but I too find it hard to rate professional fighters. There are too many fighting styles, and too large of differences in weight classes. When Brock fought Randy, he outweighed him by like sixty pounds. That is a devastating advantage. Sure, Randy has more pure skill and obvious experience, but Brock is a mountain of a man, even at 265. So Brock wins, does that make him a better fighter? Not necessarily.

UFC Weight Classes

Lightweight: 146 to 155 lbs - 9lbs

Welterweight: 156 to 170 lbs - 14lbs

Middleweight: 171 to 185 lbs - 14lbs

Light Heavyweight: 186 to 205 lbs - 19lbs

Heavyweight: 206 to 265 lbs - 59lbs

Boxing has larger gaps starting at Middleweight to Super middleweight, but they too need a larger division past the 200lb mark.

I really don't like the class limits for the heavyweight class. Why is a 60 pound different okay only in that class, while all of them except for Light Heavyweight max out at 14 pounds difference? I understand why they do it, but it's really going to be tough for any smaller heavyweights to go against someone like Lesnar no matter how good they are.

I work with a guy who does small time MMA, and once asked him about that actually. He explained to me that whatever weight a fighter walks around at, he'll cut weight down to the next class down. The guy I work with walks around at 225, so he cuts to 205 for his fights. It sounds harder than it is, according to him, because the fighters are generally training and dieting 24/7, they just amp things up a lot when they're getting ready to fight as opposed to staying in shape, so they can drop weight rather easily.

Incoming pointless post: In looking at some old WONs, Dave seemed to have a strange fascination with band T.a.t.u. Maybe the lesbian angle constituted pro wrestling storytelling.. ;)

Victoria's entrance music by the Russian teenage group T.A.T.U. is the No. 1 song right now in that country ...

Victoria's theme is No.3 on the charts in France as well as No. 1 in England and Ireland. The song was just released this week in Germany. The lesbian thing is all a work created by their manager to get them publicity and it worked in spades. An interesting note is that in an interview in Germany a few weeks ago, the girls said they had no idea the song was being used by WWE ...

This week's news on Tatu's song "All the things she said." Russian songwriter Sergey Galoyan, 22, filed suit against Universal records claiming he wrote the song in February 2000, at the time titled "I Lost My Mind," and held an audition to find one of the women to form the group to sing it and other songs a few months earlier. The other woman in the group he knew ahead of time. Galoyan is listed in the credits as only having written the music for the song ...

My guess is that Dave had a reader who was following that and kept sending him info. It's not hard to get into the WON with topical tidbits like that. Dave's not likely to be heading over to gobal song chart websites and/or publications.

John

In a thread about Pillman and Zenk maybe being gay:

dave

Pillman & Zenk may have double-teamed women, but they didn't do each other.

Rumor has it, one of said women was Terri Runnels. I first heard the gay rumor on New Jack's first RF shoot and then I believe Missy Hyatt of all people dropped Terri's name in the mix.

I don't quite see the stupid. Could someone point it out to me?

Well there is a lot of stupid.

But I will briefly ignore the stupid and pay attention to the comforting. As someone who was born and raised in DC, I should say that Meltzer's statement is really comforting. For the last decade and a half being a Redskins fan has been really depressing. All this time I was pissed that I have to pay a toll to cross the walkway between the parking lot and the stadium to watch competitive games where the home team collapses at the end. But that's just cause I have been watching from the wrong perspective. The Redskins are the highest grossing team in the NFL, and that's what it's all about anyway.

NUMBER 1!!!

WE'RE NUMBER 1 !

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

HAIL FINANCIAL VICTORIES!!

Tom: you just need to understand that the NFL is an Entertainment Company. Wins and Losses don't mean anything. The Skins of 2009 were every bit as entertaining as the Skins of 1982, 1987 and 1991 because they made way more gross revenue in 2009. Dan Snyder led the Skins out of Smoke Filed Stadiums.

;)

John, very sad that he was a fan of the 1974-88 Dodgers rather than the current Dodgers...

In a thread about Pillman and Zenk maybe being gay:

dave

Pillman & Zenk may have double-teamed women, but they didn't do each other.

Rumor has it, one of said women was Terri Runnels. I first heard the gay rumor on New Jack's first RF shoot and then I believe Missy Hyatt of all people dropped Terri's name in the mix.

Runnels was Pillman's girlfriend at the time. He asked her if she would want a three way with himself and Zenk (well him and Zenk double teaming her). She said no. That's all there really was to the story IIRC

• 3 weeks later...

Dave trolling me with this comment in the newest Observer.

"Flair then talked about how the 1986-87 Four Horsemen were better than all of them. Arn was better than Styles. Well, at promos he was."

I do believe he just said AJ is a better worker than Arn. I like AJ more than most, but come on.

Dave trolling me with this comment in the newest Observer.

"Flair then talked about how the 1986-87 Four Horsemen were better than all of them. Arn was better than Styles. Well, at promos he was."

I do believe he just said AJ is a better worker than Arn. I like AJ more than most, but come on.

It's pretty hard to knock AJ as a worker. He's consistently had great matches since atleast 2002. I've seen him live in probably 5 different states and one other country, and he's always been great.