Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Some good stuff from today.

--Last night's LSU vs. Alabama game for the No. 1 ranking on CBS did an 11.9 rating. It was the second highest rated college football game on CBS since 1987, trailing a Notre Dame vs. Miami game in 1989. Dwayne Johnson played in that game.

Dwayne was a junior in high school in 1989.

--Chuck Langerman's daily wrestling trivia. Back when Shawn Michaels was married to his first wife, Michaels, in Philadelphia for a show, flew home to attend his wife's graduation from interior design school. The flight had a layover in Atlanta. Michaels bought a tie for the graduation ceremony at the airport but he had no clue had to tie a tie, so he went to a complete stranger in the airport and asked him for help.

How trivial.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I wondered if that was correct. Sometimes it seems like the only thing Dave knows about college football is that the Rock played for Miami at some point.

How trivial.

I know. I was expecting a twist ending or something...like the complete stranger Shawn asked how to tie a tie turned out to be Dwayne Johnson when he played for Miami back in 1989. ;)

And I know it's been asked before, but who is Chuck Langerman: Wrestling trivia master?

Some good stuff from today.

--Last night's LSU vs. Alabama game for the No. 1 ranking on CBS did an 11.9 rating. It was the second highest rated college football game on CBS since 1987, trailing a Notre Dame vs. Miami game in 1989. Dwayne Johnson played in that game.

Is he thinking of one of the Wide Right games?

Yeah, I wondered if that was correct. Sometimes it seems like the only thing Dave knows about college football is that the Rock played for Miami at some point.

How trivial.

I know. I was expecting a twist ending or something...like the complete stranger Shawn asked how to tie a tie turned out to be Dwayne Johnson when he played for Miami back in 1989. ;)

Posted Image

"And that's the rest....of the story.

Good day!"

The Observer logo isn't pretty but it isn't really comparable to the "Lisa Simpson going down on a guy" Olympic logo.

It is in kind if not in degree. They both belong in the category "Should be binned asap". It's just that the Olympic one is far, far worse. Especially when it won out over brilliantly creative piece such as this.

Why does Dave Meltzer keep saying that Randy Couture (along with other fighters like Miletich) participated in professional wrestling, when he goes on to admit that he was never in a worked match?

But the following is a history of fighters who have appeared in UFC and have also been pro wrestlers. For the sake of this discussion, participate in a pro wrestling promotion has been the criteria. For the purpose, a pro wrestling promotion would be one that billed and promoted within the pro wrestling world, so Randy Couture, who fought for RINGS, a pro wrestling group, but his matches were real, counts. Mark Schultz, who agreed to do a pro wrestling match on a Brazilian Jungle Fights show promoted by Antonio Inoki, and did it but ended up being double-crossed on the finish when he let his guard down, does not count. - Meltzer

This whole bit confuses me, why bother putting Couture on "a history of fighters who have appeared in UFC and have also been pro wrestlers" list with such lame criteria? Also, this isn't the first time he's counted Randy Couture as participating in professional wrestling even though he really hasn't. I wonder how Pat Miletich feels about being on such a weird list just because he fought in RINGS, after it became a shoot.

Pro Wrestling Legitimacy would be a great name for a workrate indy "where wins and losses matter."

What about a parody workrate indy where guys dress in clown outfits and do Davey Richards-esque matches? I feel like there is an extremely small amount of money to be made parodying ROH and Evolve and these other workrate indies, but done correctly it could be hilarious.

In a BOARD thread about who would be Steve Austin's best drawing opponent in a return match, Dave repeats his talking point that Lesnar draws more wrestling fans on PPV than any wrestler currently. I expect we'll be hearing a lot more of this next summer. <_>

Who is Brock Lesnar's MMA fan base?

I almost feel stupid having to bring this up.

Lesnar's MMA fan base were people who for the most part don't buy anyone else's shows and before he came, about half had never purchased a UFC event in their life.

So he was drawing hundreds of thousands of buys from people who at least at first were not MMA fans. Considering all the marketing of his first show was directed at pro wrestling fans, and that he had no name from football, and that the amateur wrestling fan base is tiny, much of what he drew was wrestling fans crossing over.

I think it's almost burying your head in the stand ignorant to believe that over the past few years, that he hasn't sold FAR more PPVs to wrestling fans than anyone in pro wrestling.

So would hundreds of thousands of pro wrestling fans who no longer buy pro wrestling PPVs be willing to watch a guy who they pay to see face Steve Austin? Well, a lot more would than whatever new people C.M. Punk would bring back.

There is a reason Vince was willing to cut Dana White into almost a co-promoters role for last year's Mania. He believed Lesnar vs. Undertaker would bring in tons more viewers than anything he had.

There is a chance this doesn't work out in practice, but the idea that Brock Lesnar has never drawn wrestling fans to PPV in the last few years is almost beyond comprehension.

Steve Austin vs Brock Lesnar will not be a shoot.

The end.

Well, I'll rant a little more.

The appeal was in seeing a phony in a real environment.

Dave greatly overestimates the impact and quality of Brock Lesnar's initial run among wrestling fans, and think he's a greater part of the consciousness today than he is. He had a two-year run that ended almost 8 years ago during a down period for the company. Get over it.

And please stop overcovering the guy's every move because of his legitimate athletic credentials.

The real end.

Lesnar's MMA fan base were people who for the most part don't buy anyone else's shows and before he came, about half had never purchased a UFC event in their life.

Were, Dave. Were.

Does Dave really think that there's some Brock Lesnar fanbase that aren't WWF fans, aren't UFC fans, but will turn up to buy any PPV they hear he'll appear at? If that's true, why hasn't Brock's Ultimate Deer Hunting had a PPV?

The idea that none of the people who bought UFC 81 out of curiosity stuck around and became UFC fans is migraine-inducing. They may be "casual" UFC fans, but they turn out for GSP and Anderson Silva fights as well.

They're not just paying to see Brock and hoping that this is his last go-round in MMA before he "goes home" to WWF.

Does Dave really think that there's some Brock Lesnar fanbase that aren't WWF fans, aren't UFC fans, but will turn up to buy any PPV they hear he'll appear at?

Heh, replace "buy" with "pirate" and "PPV" with "his fight and nothing else on the show" and I totally fall into that catagory. I doubt there's very many others that do tho