Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

Well I'll be damned, y'all were right! Another was John Peterson vs Ian Weston. Ross literally says "A lot of fans might be wondering why this match is on television..." It does seem to be more of a series than a tournament so far.

I'm not sure if I really like the concept, though, especially when they make explicit that it's a match of guys with "lower skill levels." Especially when Erik Watts pins multiple of them--and *Bobby Eaton and Michael Hayes*--in his first three weeks on the air.

More Watts race weirdness: He promotes the Simmons/Walker vs Jack/Barbarian/Atlas match at the Clash as "ghetto odds." I, as the kids say these days, cannot even. Simmons does use it to give a good promo about the struggle and how his opponents don't know the ghetto.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody get me any information about Robbie Walker? I seem to recall that he had shown up before in Apter mags as Hurricane Walker. I've seen subsequent writeups that he was the later "Hard Work" Bobby Walker, but I really don't think so. Robbie Walker was distinctly taller and wrestled a different style.

I am still having no luck finding much information on the Battle of the Underdogs/Underdog Challenge. Even http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com isn't much help. Is there another/better resource?

Steamboat vs Vader, Worldwide 11/14/92:

This is a hot 4 minutes with some nice spots and even a bit of story and structure based around the fact that if Steamboat plays tough and stands in he gets mauled, and if he gets cornered for too long, he's done. He uses plenty of his usual speed spots and even gets in a baseball slide and...not a plancha, because that might have gotten him caught and posted, but a springboard chop. Neat. Vader misses the corner splash once but not twice, starts pounding Steamboat, and tosses Nick Patrick all the way across the ring to the floor, garnering the DQ. Steamboat of course gets KOed, going into full stagger-swing-and-stumble mode. Second or third in a series of fun shorties between the duo. **1/2

Tony: Vader is out of control!

Jesse: And who's gonna stop him? Schiavone, you're tough, you go down there!

Match repeats on Power Hour 11/21.

Ron Simmons vs Paul Orndorff, WCWSN 11/28/92:

Orndorff is back in WCW, challenged Simmons last week, and promised a surprise, which turns out to be Madusa. They work 10:00 of a decent if basic heavyweight match until Madusa (lazily) breaks up the power slam pin with a slap to the face, and Rude comes out to defend her from Simmons' ire. Simmons pops Rude hard and goes back to business, but gets cut off by Orndorff, who also bumps the ref. This allows Rude to just obliterate Simmons with a concrete piledriver! Holy cow. Orndorff by countout. Rude cuts a promo about how Simmons should have learned in the ghetto not to touch other people's property. For the record, he does all this in light purple(?) Zubaz. *3/4

• 4 weeks later...

Who was Outlaw Deaton?

Been watching NWA TV from 1990 and noticed this jobber who beat Wildfire Tommy Rich twice, once by pinfall which did seem a little odd for a jobber at the time.

Outlaw Joel Deaton. I don't think he was ever intended to be a jobber, he unfortunately only had the one angle during his brief time there. A series of 3 matches with Rich and a tag match Rich/Gilbert vs. Deaton/Samu (during Samu's month or so run where he was not affiliated with the SST for whatever reason). Not sure he had any other TV matches outside Saturday nights.

Who was Outlaw Deaton?

Been watching NWA TV from 1990 and noticed this jobber who beat Wildfire Tommy Rich twice, once by pinfall which did seem a little odd for a jobber at the time.

Outlaw Joel Deaton. I don't think he was ever intended to be a jobber, he unfortunately only had the one angle during his brief time there. A series of 3 matches with Rich and a tag match Rich/Gilbert vs. Deaton/Samu (during Samu's month or so run where he was not affiliated with the SST for whatever reason). Not sure he had any other TV matches outside Saturday nights.

Last week I came across another Rich/Deaton match from Power Hour where Deaton used Brass Knucks to score a victory, on the Saturday show from memory I think he just pulled the trunks so deff a different match. Last night on my next show for Power Hour I did notice Deaton tagging with Samu to face Pillman & Zenk so looks like he was wrestling outside the Saturday Nights, I may have seen him wrestling on Main Event also but cant remember.

• 4 weeks later...

During the '80s, when did Worldwide air in regard to World Championship Wrestling? I'd assume Saturday morning?

I'm asking because I watched the WCW episode from 11/2/85 on the network and it has Crockett announcing that Tully/Magnum will be an I Quit Cage match despite Tully never agreeing to that in the contract. Tully goes berserk and beats up on Denny Brown in a squash.

The 11/2/85 WorldWide then has Tully and Baby Doll giving a promo reacting to that announcement. So I'd think WorldWide would have aired late Saturday night instead. Someone clear this up for me please.

I just started a project where I am attempting to watch the entire year of 1986 Worldwide and World Championship Wrestling concurrently. First week of 86 the events of Worldwide are definitely taking place before the TBS show, as Tully slaps Baby Doll on Worldwide and then on TBS David and Tony are talking about the horrific incident that occurred. Just from that sample it seems that Worldwide was designed to be aired before the TBS show. I can tell you growing up in 86 that's at least how it was in my market.

I also wouldn't be surprised if down the road amidst Crockett expansion chaos and Jim Herd messiness that the attention to this detail simply wasn't a priority.

• 8 months later...

Something I've always wondered: was Randy Savage under WCW contract until the very end? I know he doesn't appear on TV for the final year but knowing WCW he could have just been sitting home getting paid. If not, when did he leave?

From Chris Harrington's data it looks like his contract expired early in 2000, because even though it's a fractional year he doesn't have as large of a fraction of his previous years than other wrestlers under longterm contracts.

Savage's last matches as a WCW wrestler were against Rick Steiner in New Japan (Goldberg was hurt after his limo arm injury so Savage was called to fill in, and he put over Steiner) and a house show against Sid in January 2000. He was brought back for his one off appearance on Thunder a few months later but pretty sure he was no longer under contract at that point.

Savage's last matches as a WCW wrestler were against Rick Steiner in New Japan (Goldberg was hurt after his limo arm injury so Savage was called to fill in, and he put over Steiner)

What a disgrace. There's no way in any era or promotion that a massive megastar like Randy Savage should ever be putting over someone as marginal as Rick Steiner in a singles match. Yes, The Steiner Brothers were a "legendary" (albeit wildly overrated) tag team, but Rick never had nearly the same impact on his own.

Eh. Macho was done. He knew he was done. WCW knew he was done. Rick wasn't, and it was on a show that was never mentioned on TV in the US and never shown in the US anyway. Who gives a shit at that point? Randy Savage of 1999 and 2000 was an abomination to his career anyway.

• 2 weeks later...