Pro Wrestling Only

Tony Schiavone and early 90s WCW announcing

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heel Cole was entertaining as hell to me.....but I can understand how/why a lot of people hated it.....it was too much of an inside joke, but I loved every second of it

The first episode of Diva NXT where he just buried everything and everybody was incredible trainwreck TV. And, c'mon......THE COLE MINE! YOU CAN'T HATE THE COLE MINE!

For starters, I fucking hate Cole so more of him was a bad thing. It was really just with the regular announcing. He wouldn't shut the hell up. He'd be trying to do play by play and do his gimmick and it felt like every second of every show was devoted to him. It felt like he was just derailing and distracting from everything going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 100% with you there.

One thing I never got about Meltzer and co ragging on the WWF product of that period for how much they apparently did wrong, is the fact that they seem totally oblivious to the fact that ...

This group of people created the most over product of all time.

If Gorilla buried people so much just to get himself over, why was practically the entire roster from Hogan to Brian B. Blair and and Dangerous Danny Davis over like rover?

Someone somewhere was doing something right, right?

Are the Gorilla detractors going to argue that everything was crazy over DESPITE Monsoon?

I'm not saying you should like him if you don't, but I think saying he's downright awful or the "worst" appears to fly in the face of the evidence.

I can't think of another promotion or period in which the entire card was over in that way and Gorilla was the main play-by-play guy at that time. So he has to take some credit for that.

Awesome. Nitro was the number one wrestling show on TV for how many weeks with the Living Legend on commentary?

How much credit do I have to give him?

English speakers obviously aren't praising Fukuzawa for his insight/what he actually says. They/we can't understand him. Either way, it's irrelevent. In any language, the call at the end of Kobashi/Hansen is perfection.

If you're talking about 7/29/93, that was Shigeru Kaneko.

Regardless, Fukuzawa was awesome. I loved when he'd bust out random English (or English loanwords, as the case may be). Like "KAWADA DOWN! KAWADA DOWN!" whenever Kawada got KTFO. Or "ON THE FLOOR!" when Taue pulled away the protective mat in the 9/10/95 match.

I'm 100% with you there.

One thing I never got about Meltzer and co ragging on the WWF product of that period for how much they apparently did wrong, is the fact that they seem totally oblivious to the fact that ...

This group of people created the most over product of all time.

If Gorilla buried people so much just to get himself over, why was practically the entire roster from Hogan to Brian B. Blair and and Dangerous Danny Davis over like rover?

Someone somewhere was doing something right, right?

Are the Gorilla detractors going to argue that everything was crazy over DESPITE Monsoon?

I'm not saying you should like him if you don't, but I think saying he's downright awful or the "worst" appears to fly in the face of the evidence.

I can't think of another promotion or period in which the entire card was over in that way and Gorilla was the main play-by-play guy at that time. So he has to take some credit for that.

Awesome. Nitro was the number one wrestling show on TV for how many weeks with the Living Legend on commentary?

How much credit do I have to give him?

If you read Larry's book, you'd see that he gives himself PLENTY of credit for that.

Does anyone listen to Schiovane as a baseball announcer now, and if so does he manage to use any "Tony-ism's" as related to the game?

I can't answer that, but it reminded me that I had a buddy run into Tony at a Louisville minor league game recently. His team was in town playing. My friend was walking through the press box and heard a familiar voice. It took him a minute to realize who it was because apparently, Schiovane has changed quite a bit in appearance. I guess he put on a lot of weight and had a beard.

I would love to hear him call a minor league baseball game, "the most important game in the history of our sport."

FWIW, I was watching the DDP/Savage Spring Stampede '97 match for my Segunda Caida All-Request feature last night, and if you want to hear a really good Schiavone call of a match, that's a great place to look. "What have we become?" feels like it should be right up there with "Hulk Hogan, you can go straight to Hell" in terms of useful Schiavone moments.

The time I remember just being sick of Schiavone altogether was at Uncensored 1999. During the hardcore three-way match Tony instructs Bobby and Tenay to "Be quiet and listen to the whacks." He then laughs uproariously each time one of the other wrestlers hits someone in the head.

I was watching the Best of Nitro DVD set again and boy oh boy, Mongo just might be the worst announcer ever. I remember switching to RAW a hell of a lot because I couldn't take him anymore.

"What did they name their show after? Some uncooked eggs?"

Not on the DVD but I remember it pretty well from the second or third Nitro.