Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, because it's a 91 MSG match, we have it on tape. I went to watch it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVRvH_fN-Ac is their only MSG match). The transition to Roma being on offense is an inverted atomic drop reversal on a 10-count punch followed by a clothesline with a big set up and then a shit ton of posing. And then Steamboat is obviously selling like crazy for him, with big facial expressions. Just a weird claim.

Anyway, the match is pretty good and Roma's offense actually looks great.

Yeah... just on the face of it without even watching the match, one would think Roma is full of shit. Steamer was a babyface who LOVED to sell and make heels look good. Pretty much everyone has always said what a pro's pro he was in the ring in making you look good.

So it's not surprising that the tape doesn't support Roma. As others say, he's a well known douchebag.

John

West Texas State was in Amarillo home of the Funks so there is that.

Both Dory and Terry went to WTU, at least for a time. I think there's no doubt that they knew they were always following their dad into pro wrestling.

Hansen in his book talks about a lot of the football players being wrestling fans and going to the Funk's shows.

The other thing is that there were a number of second generation guys among the WTU --> Pro Wrestling group:

Tully Blanchard

Bruiser Brody

Ted DiBiase

Bobby Duncum

Manny Fernandez

Dory Funk Jr.

Terry Funk

Stan Hansen

Kelly Kiniski

Blackjack Mulligan

Dusty Rhodes

Tito Santana

Barry Windham

That's a pretty good chunk of them. And it's likely that all of those second generation guys were going to end up in Pro Wrestling unless they had some thoughts of going to pro football.

John

Listening to Tony Atlas Youshoot, and it's pretty fascinating to hear him talk about the psychology of his foot fetish. More interesting than the bullshit about how in the days, 70% of working a match was actually real because you had to take care of yourself.

They were typically football players who made the transition. Wrestling appealed to guys who played football for a variety of reasons which there are probably other people more qualified to talk about. But one of the things often brought up by old timers is that there are less "real" athletes getting into wrestling now than ever before.

I agree with the old timers, but for different reasons. They feel ex football players in wrestling make it seem more legit, I feel guys with an athletic background are more likely to stick around when the going gets tough and won't bail like bodybuilders and TV actor types. Plus football players in particular are probably more accustomed to things like bullshit hazing, so you'd expect that to appeal to old timey guys.

Roma's claim of shooting on Steamboat (even aside from the fact that one glance at the tape proves he's lying through his goddamn teeth) is awfully weird. Wasn't Richard Blood a championship-winning amateur wrestler back in his school days? I dunno what Paul Centopani's older athletic credentials were, but I know his short run as a boxer in 1992 was awfully mediocre (one loss to a habitual jobber, and two squash wins over debuting tomato cans who never fought again). Especially when you factor in the whole "wrestlers usually kick boxers' asses in real shoots" old-school tendency of pre-UFC martial arts.

Holy shit, this was a fun show:

WCCW Labor Day Star Wars 1986 (part 1)

Local broadcast with commercials included.

World Tag Team Tournament matches include:

Batten Twins vs. Kevin Sullivan/Purple Haze

Rick Rude/Jos Leduc vs. Mark/Chris Youngblood

Killer Brooks/The Grappler vs.Dingo Warrior/Sako

Matt Borne/Buzz Sawyer vs. Kevin/Mike Von Erich

Ted & Jerry Oates vs. Youngbloods

Sullivan/Haze vs. Borne/Sawyer

plus

Bruiser Brody vs. Abdullah the Butcher

Bad news is that I don't have the second part of the show! I need to find it.

Holy shit, this was a fun show:

WCCW Labor Day Star Wars 1986 (part 1)

Local broadcast with commercials included.

World Tag Team Tournament matches include:

Batten Twins vs. Kevin Sullivan/Purple Haze

Rick Rude/Jos Leduc vs. Mark/Chris Youngblood

Killer Brooks/The Grappler vs.Dingo Warrior/Sako

Matt Borne/Buzz Sawyer vs. Kevin/Mike Von Erich

Ted & Jerry Oates vs. Youngbloods

Sullivan/Haze vs. Borne/Sawyer

plus

Bruiser Brody vs. Abdullah the Butcher

Bad news is that I don't have the second part of the show! I need to find it.

Pretty sure footage does not exist.

They were typically football players who made the transition. Wrestling appealed to guys who played football for a variety of reasons which there are probably other people more qualified to talk about. But one of the things often brought up by old timers is that there are less "real" athletes getting into wrestling now than ever before.

The main reason was money. NFL players in the 60s/70s didn't make anywhere near what they make now. Most needed an offseason job and wrestling was a good way to make some money. For a hint, the minimum salary for a veteran in 1970 was around $13,000. The average NFL salary for that time frame ranged from 20k to 60k. Not bad for 1970 but you can see why guys would want to moonlight as a wrestler especially if they knew what kind of payoffs you could get. Watts in his shoots said he got into wrestling because he knew Wahoo McDaniel and saw one of the checks he was cashing from just working a weekend. I think he had said Wahoo had made like $3000 for 2 nights or something like that.

On top of that, contracts were less restricted. If you remember back in 2004 when Urlacher did a TNA show that the Chicago Bears flipped out and made him stop. Things like Aaron Boone blowing out his knee playing basketball and the various idiots that have injured themselves on motorcycles, a lot of teams have started putting restrictions into the contract of what their players can do offseason, wrestling included.

The real answer I think is that wrestling paid more than football in the 60s and 70s and now football is a better payoff. No sense in losing a season worth 2 million because you decided to moonlight in RoH for $750 a match.

For those of you who are, like myself, fans of comic strips (or, like us all, interested in wrestling triviality), Dick Tracy started a pro wrestling themed storyline on Feb 5 http://www.gocomics.com/dicktracy/2012/02/05 with a character based on Jerry Lawler. Comics and wrestling have often produced rather unsatisfying results when mixed, which is strange considering the crossover appeal, but this looks promising.

From the Wikipedia article on the UCWF:

The UCWF is organized into "weight divisions"... not based on the wrestler's body weight, but on how much tonnage he can lift. The lowest division (for those with the strength to lift (press) two to ten tons) was phased out early in the Federation's history as not being "spectacular" enough.

Spider-Man has Superhuman Class 10 strength. Does that make him the Rey Mysterio of Marvel?

Also, Letha is a dead ringer for Beth Phoenix.