Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was in charge backstage at the various venue's at Wrestlemania 2?

I guess Vince and Gorilla handled all the pre show stuff in New York and Chicago. But what happened when they were on air?

I've always got the impression that which ever of those two was broadcasting, the other ran back stage. Although everything was ultimatley Vince's call.

Was George Scott still with the company? If so. I'm guessing he might have been in LA. How much power did Patterson have at this point?

I'm guessing that after Long Island went off the air, Vince was in constant phone contact with the other 2 venues. But it seems weird for a major WWF event to be running without Vince backstage to take a constant hands on approach. Which is probably one of the reasons that WWE has never done a split broadcast again.

Was there a previous thread on people's wrestling watching habbits? For example, I used to stick to only one project at a time -- if I started a wrestler comp, I kept watching it until I finished before starting another one. I've gotten over that and am now into watching entire seasons of one promotion (currently on '89 NWA and starting 90 WWF soon) while mixing in discs from various comps.

I thought there was a previous thread on this issue, but I couldn't find it.

Was there a previous thread on people's wrestling watching habbits? For example, I used to stick to only one project at a time -- if I started a wrestler comp, I kept watching it until I finished before starting another one. I've gotten over that and am now into watching entire seasons of one promotion (currently on '89 NWA and starting 90 WWF soon) while mixing in discs from various comps.

I think this is the one you're talking about

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t=0&start=0

I think this is the one you're talking about

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t=0&start=0

That's the one. Thanks.

I'm definitely stockpiling a nice stash of unwatched wrestling. If the plague ever hits and everyone gets bored after locking themselves in their bedrooms, I'll be happily catching up on 100s of discs of unwatched footage.

I feel like we've talked about Paul Roma SOMEWHERE here lately and also Tom Zenk's interviews. I came across this which feels a lot like Roma trying to do a Zenk interview.

http://www.wrestleview.com/viewnews.php?id=1277909223

And then he said this: "I ran with Steamboat for a while. You know, his ego gets him into trouble, I think. I had a match with him at Madison Square Garden and we talked it over in the locker room. He said, 'OK. I'd like to do this.' I said, 'OK. I want to do this.' Then, after I let him do his thing, he turned around and tried to stiff me and not let me do what I needed to do so I took it over. I just physically did what I had to do to him. Because I was like, you want me to make you look good and you're not let me do my thing? So I'm gonna do my thing anyway because physically he can't handle me. If you want to get down, we'll get down."

So, because it's a 91 MSG match, we have it on tape. I went to watch it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVRvH_fN-Ac is their only MSG match). The transition to Roma being on offense is an inverted atomic drop reversal on a 10-count punch followed by a clothesline with a big set up and then a shit ton of posing. And then Steamboat is obviously selling like crazy for him, with big facial expressions. Just a weird claim.

Anyway, the match is pretty good and Roma's offense actually looks great.

I do think we have to come up with a Monsoon rule: The better the match in the ring, the worse Monsoon is on commentary, and vice versa.

All of this made me wonder. What is Paul Roma's best match? The Young Stallions had shitty matches with both Demolition and the Brainbusters which is MADDENING. Power and Glory has tags against the Rockers (and no matter what Naylor says, I don't think Summerslam 90 works for that) and there are singles matches at house shows that we have where he goes up against Jannetty, which I'd have to rewatch. Then there's the WCW run but I've seen very little Pretty Wonderful. On paper they should be pretty good though, right? Has anyone seen a Roma match better than the one above?

They were typically football players who made the transition. Wrestling appealed to guys who played football for a variety of reasons which there are probably other people more qualified to talk about. But one of the things often brought up by old timers is that there are less "real" athletes getting into wrestling now than ever before.