Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cawthorn's book looks great, may have to get it.

It's the website, only organized all in one place (this is not a negative!) and it is easy to follow. Small print, yes, but the layout is solid.

Oh man, that's so awesome. If that's cheapish in any way, shape or form, it's the next thing I'm buying.

$23 at the moment - solid price and Graham hopefully makes a couple bucks for his very hard work.

http://amzn.to/1fexkMT

Is the book only results? Or is there some analysis and stories mixed in?

Two things:

#1: Everyone should support Graham's book! I'm glad he's publishing his book and his work has been invaluable for years.

#2: Cheap plug: My project, Wrestlenomics, has two volumes. The first volume might be a good supplement and it's built from taking results from sources like Graham's website and Wrestling Observer newsletters and turning them into annual summaries by federation - win/loss records, most popular feuds/opponents, tag team records, etc- there's limited commentary, it's mostly going to be just facts. Kickstarter supporters have seen PDF previews for WWF 1982-1993 and WCW 1983-2001. The second volume (coming out much later) is going to be pro wrestling analytics - trying to use econometric models and other tricks to look at the information in my own way.

Not to be an asshole or anything (intentionally), but if the Cawthon book is just the results, why would people shell out money for it when the website exists? I would understand if there were extra stuff in the book like anecdotes or things to accompany specific results, but yeah.

I wonder what gems he has there? Didn't Bret say he bought his Stampede stuff?

The bottom two rows are WWF tapes, Superstars on the left and Challenge on the right. The rest don't seem too dissimilar in labeling, but it gets harder to read.

John

was reading through results in one of the 96 Observer back issues

7/18 Orlando Disney (WCW Attraction matches): Brad Armstrong b Kurosawa, Craig Pittman b Gambler, Bobby Walker b Chad Brock, Disco Inferno b Bobby Eaton, Mike Enos & Dick Slater b Joe Gomez & Mark Starr, V.K. Wallstreet b Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Wow, look at that card. I didn't realize that WCW did carnival attraction type shows in addition to the tapings at Disney. I wonder if they had a ring set up outside for this so that passerbys could stop and watch some rasslin' for a minute before heading to their next destination. I'm oddly fascinated to know the details on a show like this.

Not to be an asshole or anything (intentionally), but if the Cawthon book is just the results, why would people shell out money for it when the website exists? I would understand if there were extra stuff in the book like anecdotes or things to accompany specific results, but yeah.

I think it's just that some people like to consult a physical copy of things instead of a digital website. At least, that's why people might want a book form. To a younger generation I know this seems weird, but a lot of people just prefer to have a bound version of things. I was shocked when I did my Kickstarter how many people wanted a physical book instead of just the cheaper PDFs.

The altruistic side of things is that people are supporting Graham's work and it's a essentially a way to make a donation to his project and get something in return.

Plenty of bloggers have published their posts into a book. This isn't too far out of the norm.

Plenty of bloggers have published their posts into a book. This isn't too far out of the norm.

True, and I am not begrudging him or anyone for doing it. And I think it is cool people care enough about his work as to pay him in a way by buying the book.

Should those of us that contributed results to the site band together to try to secure a stipend?

I hadn't heard about the grumbling and honestly never really thought about that.

What has bothered me about it for a long time is the asking for board donations so he can buy wrestling dvds and tapes "for the site", then resell them.

I don't begrudge a guy for wanting to get paid, but he wasn't the only one to compile those results for his site.

...and there has been some grumbling about that.

I don't really have a problem with that. It would be like grumbling able Royal & Duncan selling the Title Histories book which a ton of people helped them with. Those of us that helped thought it was great that the info was out there and available, and even more so because we got to see all the stuff they got from other folks.

John

I'm big on having a physical copy to read. I'll put off reading digital copies of stuff as long as possible. While I like the book I just can't imagine it selling enough copies as really only appeals to hardcores and you still have most people saying why I should pay for this when I can get it online for free.

I've put together a working Top 500 list for the 90s, which I've been working on for a while. I'm going to wait and post it until after I've watched the 1998-1999 yearbooks so I can work in the matches from those years. I also want to do updated reviews for a lot of the matches. But it's interesting sometimes how matches look on a second viewing. Some look much better and some look much worse. Lots of rethinking going on.

I've put together a working Top 500 list for the 90s, which I've been working on for a while. I'm going to wait and post it until after I've watched the 1998-1999 yearbooks so I can work in the matches from those years. I also want to do updated reviews for a lot of the matches. But it's interesting sometimes how matches look on a second viewing. Some look much better and some look much worse. Lots of rethinking going on.

Looking forward to this, and the 1998-1999 yearbooks too.

You're right though, opinions of matches can change after a second viewing, good and bad.

I got inspired yesterday morning and wrote a short essay titled I Love Wrestling. One of my very earliest memories at age 5 was of Sika and Hogan cutting opposing promos on SNME. As fans we probably all go through hot and cold periods but lately my lifelong love and admiration for the business has really deepened. Been watching a ton of footage. Listen to Dylan and Dave's podcasts on my commutes, etc.