Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Speaking of Mania, I've always been somewhat skeptical that Donald Trump was what sold that Wrestlemania, simply because I don't remember any buzz at all about Trump's involvement at the time. I think I'm wrong on this one though and would appreciate it if someone would just tell me why.

I always felt the same way. Was it Vince's hair? Was I just out on the Trump phenomenon and missing what the mainstream audience bought into as an incredibly huge deal? There's no denying that the stips there had to have been big as none of the big 3 matches on their own felt like any kind of game changer.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But at the time, it doesn't feel like there was enough excitement and mainstream exposure about that to justify the buyrate for the show. However, there was a lot of buzz about WWE being in a resurgence and they were pretty hot at the time. What am I missing? Why wasn't Cena vs Michaels what sold the show?

Didn't the Raw when he "bought" the show also spike the ratings?

I'm sure it drew some casual interest. I just don't like seeing it get sole credit for the buyrate when the Cena/Michaels and Undertaker/Batista issues were both relatively hot as well. Both Shawn and Undertaker got unexpectedly over around that time, and people were generally raving about WWE in the first half of 2007.

It's worth noting that Backlash 2007 the month after did what was considered at the time a God awful number.

Good shows doesn't always translate to box office, it hardly needs to be said.

Trump was a huge deal. As Sidebottom said, he even pops Raw to a gigantic degree when he shows up and does something. For whatever reason, it works. Donald Trump is a pro wrestling draw.

I read somewhere that Mania 19 was the first digital cable only PPV. As in you could order it ONLY IF you had a digital cable box. Maybe that had something to do with it?

That actually makes a lot of sense because I specifically remember No Way Out 2003 was the last PPV I could "watch" in scramble-vision.

Has there ever been a spot where one guy went to throw salt/powder at his opponent being held from behind but the opponent ducked. However instead of the usual heel miscommunication spot the thrower puts the breaks on before releasing salt. The heels celebrate at their goodwill and exchange a high five but in the act of doing so the guy doing still has the salt/powder in his hand and throws it accidentally in his partner's face. I dreamt this last night but it felt very real. I thought maybe Memphis.

There is an interview recap from someone named Luke Hawx on F4W talking about his experiences working in WWE. I have no earthly idea who this is.

He worked the Wrestling Society X shows and had a great squash match with Chuck Palumbo in 07/08. I have no idea what other experience he had in WWE.

Speaking of Mania, I've always been somewhat skeptical that Donald Trump was what sold that Wrestlemania, simply because I don't remember any buzz at all about Trump's involvement at the time. I think I'm wrong on this one though and would appreciate it if someone would just tell me why.

Not build up, but the day after Vince and Trump were on the Today show talking about the show. So Id imagine that yes, Trump was a big deal re: Mania.

But at the time, it doesn't feel like there was enough excitement and mainstream exposure about that to justify the buyrate for the show. However, there was a lot of buzz about WWE being in a resurgence and they were pretty hot at the time. What am I missing? Why wasn't Cena vs Michaels what sold the show?

Wasn't that the commercial-free Raw?

Wasn't that the commercial-free Raw?

Yes, that's correct. It got a 4.4 rating, a increase from 3.6 the previous week.

Trump got them a ton of mainstream coverage that they weren't otherwise getting at that time. Not stuff that I watch....but E! News shows, Entertainment Tonight, Today Show and other morning shows, etc. etc. gossipy magazines, all that celebrity culture stuff....a lot of people watch that stuff. Even if Trump/McMahon wasn't the sole draw, which it wasn't, it was a draw, and just getting WWE and Mania out there with all that coverage had to help. Maybe people saw Michaels and Taker in the big matches along with Trump/McMahon and got interested. Whatever it was, the Trump/McMahon buildup deserves a ton of credit

Guys, hoping somebody could help me out.

I'm looking for a blog / essay Ultimate Warrior wrote outlining the deaths of pro wrestlers. I remember something along the lines of Mr Perfect being found dead with cocaine in a seedy hotel room.

Thanks

I can't find it but I remember it, he puts Hennig & down for drug use, calling them immature & irresponsible for running around playing wrestler in their 40s & leaving families behind. I think it was on his own old angelfire website circa his "queering don't make the world go 'round" trolling. The website had the details to book him as a right-wing speaker too.