Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Just re-watched Shawn/Cena from WM 23 for the first time in awhile and man what an oddly booked match to have for your company ace. Shawn out wrestles Cena at every turn and is the aggressor while Cena wrestles pensively and comes across as nothing short of a weakling for the majority of the match. This seems to be the narrative as Ross and Lawler mentioned this throughout . The ending was decisive enough with Shawn tapping but that match did Cena no favors. Maybe it was politics from Shawn and Hunter for how that match was put together but i'm not entirely convinced of that. Cena winning gets only a slightly better than average pop. I know the crowds had already turned on him at this point but still strange to hear that at a Mania

Funny you should say that, but I watched their hour match on Raw the other day, and it was worked pretty much the opposite. Cena outwrestled Shawn comprehensively throughout the early wrestling part and for most of the match. And then loses. I assume it's just the way they decided to work to protect the loser/make it interesting.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even 10 years ago there were many people who "knew" it was all arranged but also believed that Apuestas matches are real because there's too much at stake.

I imagine that was a more tenable position when Apuestas matches were actually worked differently from regular matches.

Any advice on watching the Memphis 80s set have only watched the Japanese sets so far should i just go from disc one onwards or watch some of the promos and angles leading to the matches on the latter discs.

Most definitely watch all the build up stuff to the specific matches. That's the proper way to watch any wrestling but especially Memphis. It'd be like watching Rocky but only the fights.

fun fact for any fighting game fans (parv for sure, matt d & fxnj maybe???): this forum now has 5 people with accounts on shoryuken.com

there's nintendologic, myself, pol, broccoman, & mvc2 sentinel.

wonder if any other comparably niche forum is that strongly represented on here...

Wow, Los Bucaneros are incredible - the Midnight Express of Mexico with all of their comedy and miscommunication spots mixed in with getting heat and showing off their athletic ability! I'm watching a match involving them in early 1990 and thought "Wow, they are similar to the Brazos", so I was pleasantly surprised that there's a Brazos vs Bucaneros match on the 80s lucha set.

fun fact for any fighting game fans (parv for sure, matt d & fxnj maybe???): this forum now has 5 people with accounts on shoryuken.com

wonder if any other comparably niche forum is that strongly represented on here...

Been on Shoryuken for years. Was a competitive Mortal Kombat II player back in my arcade rat days and transitioned over to some Street Fighter games when I was younger.

Went to a comic con to meet some wrestlers from the 80's . I gotta say Tito Santana and Demolition were all great guys. It was kinda surreal to talk University of Texas Football with Bill Eadie in face paint. Their was a Q and A scheduled and the only person who showed was Mayrase the Miz's wife. This was a train wreck. Of course she puts him over. Their was some humor to it. Some kid asks if she hates Dolph because he keeps beating your husband. She laughed and says she doesn't hate Dolph. Another kid asked if Brock went after the MiZ would he run away. I asked about 5 questions because no one else was getting up to ask any so I felt bad for her. One question I asked her and she ended up bashing Vince. She realized quickly that wasn't a good thing and stopped. The host tried to end this 15 minutes early because he could see this wasn't going well by saying I'm sure you need to run. She's like no, I have plenty of time. So it continued. Just a train wreck of a Q and A. The host points out her wedding ring by mentioning her husband must be doing well. She also mentioned they're trying to have a baby.

Went to a comic con to meet some wrestlers from the 80's . I gotta say Tito Santana and Demolition were all great guys. It was kinda surreal to talk University of Texas Football with Bill Eadie in face paint. Their was a Q and A scheduled and the only person who showed was Mayrase the Miz's wife. This was a train wreck. Of course she puts him over. Their was some humor to it. Some kid asks if she hates Dolph because he keeps beating your husband. She laughed and says she doesn't hate Dolph. Another kid asked if Brock went after the MiZ would he run away. I asked about 5 questions because no one else was getting up to ask any so I felt bad for her. One question I asked her and she ended up bashing Vince. She realized quickly that wasn't a good thing and stopped. The host tried to end this 15 minutes early because he could see this wasn't going well by saying I'm sure you need to run. She's like no, I have plenty of time. So it continued. Just a train wreck of a Q and A. The host points out her wedding ring by mentioning her husband must be doing well. She also mentioned they're trying to have a baby.

Not an expert, but that's this match. The where is Arena Mexico and the when is March 23, 1990.

Thecubsfan has a great tool on his site called the Match Finder that pretty much does what its name indicates. If you're wondering if two guys ever met in a match, or if you're watching a cool match and don't know anything about it, more often than not you can go there and find your answer.

Been on Shoryuken for years. Was a competitive Mortal Kombat II player back in my arcade rat days and transitioned over to some Street Fighter games when I was younger.

oh sweet, that's 6 then! i was a MK kid all the way in the 90s, but got into the tournament scene with guilty gear. funny that i fucking hate like 99% of anime, and yet my #1 all-time game and my possible #1 fighting game are both anime as heck

Random neat story. I was over at a friend's house watching the UFC PPV last night, and I asked my friend's dad if he knew who Atlantis was, because of his recent match with Ultimo Guerrero.

He's in his late 60's, and he told me how from the 1970's to the early 1990's (when he finally moved his family to the U.S.), he would go with his buddies and family to a bunch of lucha libre shows in Monterrey and Reynosa. He's more of a boxing fan, but he still had a lot of fun at those shows. I asked him who were some of the big names he saw live, and he named Rene Guajardo, El Solitario, Dr. Wagner Sr., Angel Blanco, Ray Mendoza, Los Brazos, Atlantis, Perro Aguayo Sr., Negro Casas, Rayo De Jalisco Sr. and Jr., Los Hermanos Dinamitas, Los Villanos, and several others. I was telling him how awesome it is that he saw all these guys, some of whom were at their peaks, live.

2. I'm claiming that I could beat anyone on this forum at Street Fighter in a best of 5.

i would gladly take that bet in any of the classic SF2 series, 3rd strike, or SF4. probably alpha 2 & 3, even, and i don't care about alpha. heck, if you like the EX series, i've put a lot of work into 1 & 3.

with GGPO we could even play online in theory, though you would need a suitable controller for your computer. but that netcode absolutely DESTROYS modern fighters'

i also remembered you saying you're a fan of board games...if you like power grid we could also do an online challenge in that somehow. that's like top 5 game of any kind for me and i've been grinding the hell out of it this year

I wonder if Parv is one of those SF guys who can do those ridiculous long combos that do 1/4 life and pounces on even the slightest openings to do so. Never put that amount of time into SF games, but that was really impressive stuff to see even if it sucked being on the other end.